This is what I want :)
May 17, 2006 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

abitdeef

Formerly known as ihatepopupads
Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Posts
6,300
Likes
3,130
Right now I am using shure e3cs and senn px100s. I want A smaller headphone that has a big soundstage and great extended highs. It also has to be able to be driven whithout an amp. The shures and the senns just don't give me the sparkle I want in the highs. It can be bigger than px100s , but I don't want something as big as say ATH- A900. I would like to keep it under 200 dollars if I can. I really don't want an iem as my ears are waxing up a lot from wearing the shures so much, and don't care if they are open or closed design.

If I can't come up with anything, I may try the UE superfi 5 pro, as it seems they have a good soundstage and better highs (than my e3cs).


Thanks very much
biggrin.gif
 
May 17, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 8

F107plus5

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 23, 2006
Posts
5,920
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads
Right now I am using shure e3cs and senn px100s. I want A smaller headphone that has a big soundstage and great extended highs. It also has to be able to be driven whithout an amp. The shures and the senns just don't give me the sparkle I want in the highs. It can be bigger than px100s , but I don't want something as big as say ATH- A900. I would like to keep it under 200 dollars if I can. I really don't want an iem as my ears are waxing up a lot from wearing the shures so much, and don't care if they are open or closed design.

If I can't come up with anything, I may try the UE superfi 5 pro, as it seems they have a good soundstage and better highs (than my e3cs).


Thanks very much
biggrin.gif



Other than the soundstage question, everything else points to any of the five Grado and Alessandro models within your price range.

They all sound pretty much the same but with varrying degrees of bass and treble characteristics.

May be worth a look toward the Grado side.

I have the more neutral but still foreward Alessandro MS-1 and find the soundstage to be adequate for the great variety of music that I listen to.
 
May 17, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 8

PeeeMeS

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 22, 2004
Posts
1,238
Likes
10
IEMs just don't have comparable soundstage
You stated you dislike the wax thing, I would really discourage you away from IEMs

Small headphones , soundstage, don't need amp, bright... hmmm

I would say go with one of the koss
They're cheap and fit your description. Only thing is, they're way under the $200 budget.
 
May 17, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 8

Preshure0617

Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 13, 2005
Posts
83
Likes
10
i heard the hd415's at jr and they were pretty good-- a little bassy, but it was very smooth and accurate opposed to a big spike. but they are WAAAAAy bigger than a PX100, though not huge by any means

grado pretty much has this cornered, tho
 
May 18, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 8

abitdeef

Formerly known as ihatepopupads
Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Posts
6,300
Likes
3,130
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
IEMs just don't have comparable soundstage
You stated you dislike the wax thing, I would really discourage you away from IEMs

Small headphones , soundstage, don't need amp, bright... hmmm

I would say go with one of the koss
They're cheap and fit your description. Only thing is, they're way under the $200 budget.




Thanks, it's not like I don't like iems it's just I want to give my ears a break , and the senn px100s sound pretty good , but the highs are not there as much as I like . I guess I will maybe try grados, but I heard the have a very small soundstage.
 
May 18, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 8

skudmunky

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Posts
3,555
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads
Thanks, it's not like I don't like iems it's just I want to give my ears a break , and the senn px100s sound pretty good , but the highs are not there as much as I like . I guess I will maybe try grados, but I heard the have a very small soundstage.


just FYI, portaPro = PX100 with better highs.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top