This is too hard...
Aug 16, 2008 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Vladislav

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I've been reading this forum for a long time but if anything it just gets me more and more confused
smily_headphones1.gif

I am trying to figure out a pair of decent headphones to buy for me and I've read all the possible topics I could find here and the list of proposed headphones is massive.

What I am looking for the most in my headphones are long listening session comfort, no piercing highs, hopefully no fatigue, and overall a decent quality phone. I just want to be able to put them on and forget that they are there. I want to listen to music unobstructed and for prolonged periods of time.

My budget is around 200$ but if I find a perfect phone for 300$ that's acceptable too.

My music likes are many but let's say that majority of listening would be psychedelic trance (goa, prog, fullon, dark, chill, etc) and metal. Decent bass would be nice but I prefer definition over 'thumpness'.

I want a pair of phones that covers me with music for hours and hours. They can be open (in fact that might be better so I don't get startled
smily_headphones1.gif
) or closed.

I have a bunch of lower end phones from koss and senn but I want something much better.

If I missed some other criteria I will add it later on but for now could anyone in the same boat please suggest how they dealt with this issue and what the outcome was?

Thank you.

Aug 16, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladislav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there,

Hello, welcome to head-fi

Quote:

I've been reading this forum for a long time but if anything it just gets me more and more confused
smily_headphones1.gif

yes, most of us are confused
tongue.gif

Quote:

I am trying to figure out a pair of decent headphones to buy for me and I've read all the possible topics I could find here and the list of proposed headphones is massive.

that means a lot of information, read it all.

Quote:

What I am looking for the most in my headphones are long listening session comfort, no piercing highs, hopefully no fatigue, and overall a decent quality phone. I just want to be able to put them on and forget that they are there. I want to listen to music unobstructed and for prolonged periods of time.

what is your source? amped or unamped?

Quote:

My budget is around 200$ but if I find a perfect phone for 300$ that's acceptable too.

there is no perfect headphone.

Quote:

My music likes are many but let's say that majority of listening would be psychedelic trance (goa, prog, fullon, dark, chill, etc) and metal. Decent bass would be nice but I prefer definition over 'thumpness'.

I want a pair of phones that covers me with music for hours and hours. They can be open (in fact that might be better so I don't get startled
smily_headphones1.gif
) or closed.

well, it depends on whrer you use them.

Quote:

I have a bunch of lower end phones from koss and senn but I want something much better.

If I missed some other criteria I will add it later on but for now could anyone in the same boat please suggest how they dealt with this issue and what the outcome was?

if they have dealt with the issue (and i know many people have), then the thread is probably here somewhere. search for it. all your questions are on threads already written. and take all advise with a grain of salt, almost all information is second hand.

Quote:

Thank you.

You are welcome

G-man

Aug 16, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 56
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry for your wallet!

And going straight to the point: you can consider some Grados, maybe SR-225?

Avoid AKGs, people report they are lacking bass; but are extremely detailed, so that is the trade-off.

Anyway, you will need a serious amplification to reach your goals. Otherwise your searching will get you nowhere
smily_headphones1.gif

My main criteria are located just here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/off...thread-225503/

That is my favourite thread. Try to avoid products which occur too often there! (doing that could force you to buy some electrostatics, but it is your choice).

Regards, Ash

Aug 16, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashirgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry for your wallet!

And going straight to the point: you can consider some Grados, maybe SR-225?

Avoid AKGs, people report they are lacking bass; but are extremely detailed, to that is the trade-off.

Anyway, you will need a serious amplification to reach your goals. Otherwise your searching will get you nowhere
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards, Ash

Who says that? have heard a grado? do you know which lack bass? not to mention that they are far from comfortable, and are fatiguing.
And serious amplification? says who. heck, you dont really need serious amplification, a good cheap DAC and amp cobo would be mroe than enough, adn you don't even need that.

Aug 16, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 56
This is what I'm talking about, people just love to throw in whatever headphone they are currently using as a recommendation for anything
smily_headphones1.gif

I will be amplifying using Klipsh amp. If it doesn't do a good job I will look into buying a different amp.

I think I'm probably going to go with dt770 or dt880, people seem to like those and comfort level gets mentioned a lot. According to my readings here Grados are the last thing I want for my needs. AKG might be good but there's too much of a split opinion on them.

Thanks for Kenwood recommendation.

Thanks all.

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 56
Quote:

This is what I'm talking about, people just love to throw in whatever headphone they are currently using as a recommendation for anything
smily_headphones1.gif

How are you going to know it's good if you're not using it?
L3000.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmedai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are you going to know it's good if you're not using it?
L3000.gif

You have used it before and it excelled in the type of music you weren't really interested in and you sold it? How about that?
smily_headphones1.gif

Or how about you got 1000$ and upgraded to an uber phone?

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 56
the akg k701 defintely need to be amped and benefit massively from doing so but also require a long period of burn in till they sound their absolute best!

Grados can indeed be considered uncomfortable but some of that can be attributed to new pads softening up!
You did mention that you were looking for headphones that were not harsh and as such you should tread carefully as long term grados are often considered a little harsh particularly the 325 although personally I don't agree!
G-man may have a point about taking advice with a pinch of salt as many posters recommend or shoot down headphones without hearing them themselves!
Is often a good idea to check signatures of fellow headfi-ers and look at their gear listed there!
Most people will be helpful if you private message them and ask for an opinion!
Just be careful of those offering opinions who have neither experienced the gear they recommend/discourage and are unaware of the subtleties picked up from PERSONAL experiences!

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #11 of 56
DT880s are extremely picky about amplification. If you use something they don't mesh well with, they won't sound good. DT880s work best with tube amps.

If I were you I'd look into Audio-Technica offerings if comfort is a huge issue for you. I can comfortably wear my AD700s for extended periods of time without breaks. They are seriously comfortable, more so than the DT880s which while very comfortable, are heavier and don't have the unique spring-tensioned headrests the AT 'phones have. This prevents placing pressure on the top of the head, which can cause a sharp, painful pressure over long listening sessions.

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 56
Based on your criteria, my first thought was that you wouldn't want Grados. I was thinking along the lines of Beyers as well. You might also want to consider the Sennheiser 595s.

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 56
About the comfort. I really like listening to music but I know I get irritated by headphones that I can feel hurting my head or that produce 'hurting sound'. To me the headphone can be incredible musically but if it fatigues me I don't want it. I would rather lose a bit of quality but not feel sick after an hour.

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

You have used it before and it excelled in the type of music you weren't really interested in and you sold it? How about that?
smily_headphones1.gif

Or how about you got 1000$ and upgraded to an uber phone?

/irony

tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back