This is the Rig that make me quite satisfied ;)
Sep 11, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #16 of 55
See my sig. At least until the RP5cav and r3s Titan are here.
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

And now to the portable! 3G 40gig Ipod to a Sik Din to a Xin Right Angle Adapter to the SR-71 to the KSC-35s! whee!

---

Isn't the SR 71 perhaps a *wee* bit much for the KSC-35s?
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2004 at 8:40 AM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Isn't the SR 71 perhaps a *wee* bit much for the KSC-35s?
wink.gif

What can I say, it was originally a Cmoy in the signal chain but my friend gave me this amp as a best man gift - who am I to argue? But I love my Koss clips too much to replace them - buds, etys, etc just dont have the right mojo for me to replace the KSC-35s just yet.

Sep 11, 2004 at 8:44 AM Post #19 of 55
With my current rig, I'm extremely happy. For several months now upgradeitis has been cured. Probably not permanently, but all I do at the moment is expand my CD-collection and smile.
k1000smile.gif

Sep 11, 2004 at 10:11 AM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quoth
With my current rig, I'm extremely happy. For several months now upgradeitis has been cured. Probably not permanently, but all I do at the moment is expand my CD-collection and smile.
k1000smile.gif

What's your main listening rig
confused.gif
?

Sep 11, 2004 at 11:35 AM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quoth
Ehh... I might be missing something here
blink.gif
, but if you look in the sig you might get some clues...

eehhmmm...caugh .. I see some (good) options in your sig .. just what is the combination u use the most ?

Sep 11, 2004 at 11:48 AM Post #23 of 55
I've tried many headphones/amps that never satisfied but the following rig (which will be acquired until the end of summer) will do it for me:
heavily modded Marantz CD 53/63 -> Corda HA1 MKII / HA2 -> HD 650 /w Zu
580smile.gif

Sep 11, 2004 at 12:30 PM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
eehhmmm...caugh .. I see some (good) options in your sig .. just what is the combination u use the most ?

Tough question...

The K1000 are definitely my favourite headphones. The others are used more on a “can’t use the K1000 basis” (lying down, headbanging, trying not to disturb sleeping fiancé etc.). The K1000 are bloody good, with excellent tonality, soundstage and openness, and the only pair I am actually forgetting that I am wearing (Some claim they have a wiselike grip, but to me it’s just perfect…).

The amp choice is a little trickier. For all but the K1000 the Prehead is definitely the preferred choice, but when it come to driving the AKGs it becomes trickier. Both amps have strengths and weaknesses. The RKV is what it is, tubey, with a wonderful midrange (female vocals - yum…) and a large (if not that precise) soundstage. The deep bass in the RKV also tends be be a bit muddy, but that is luckily offset by the bass roll off in the K1000. In the Prehead the music loses some of it’s body (and perhaps magic), the bass is tighter, and the soundstage is smaller, but it has more precision and speed, and on occasion some additional details can also be found in the music.

I find the Prehead more clinical (it’s still pretty musical and enjoyable though), and the RKV covered in syrup. On most occasions the RKV wins cause’ it just sounds so good (It might not be all that accurate but I don’t care - the RKV/K1000 simply makes great music), but on some music like rock & metal the extra slam and speed of the Prehead is needed.

/Q

Sep 11, 2004 at 2:33 PM Post #25 of 55
I'm very happy with this setup.

Jolida JD-100A (Mullard 12AX7) -> Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC -> Singlepower MPX3-6cg7 (GE Driver/RCA Cleartops Output) -> Senns HD650 w/stock cable

Powercords are Signal Cable Magics plugged into a Panamax 5300 which I wouldn't mid upgrading to a BPT unit at some point. I'll probably try an aftermarket cable with the 650s soon.

Sep 11, 2004 at 2:56 PM Post #26 of 55
I'm perfectly happy with my current rig: Music Hall Maverick with Level 1 Mods --> JMT built "Silver Edition" PPA --> Sony CD3000 or Senn HD 600.

I see myself getting another pair or two of headphones but I think I'm set for a very long time with my source and amp.

Sep 11, 2004 at 3:10 PM Post #27 of 55
I'm very happy with my setup. Yes, I've heard better, the Maestro amp particularly comes to mind as being better, but I'm satisfied.

foobar2000 -> emu 1212m -> RC cables -> Singlepower MPX3 with tung sols -> Zu Mobius -> Sennheiser HD 650s

Instead of an amp upgrade, I'd probably go for a Benchmark DAC, but since I haven't heard it I'm not drooling to have one, yet

Sep 11, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #28 of 55
Well, I'm thrilled with the sound I'm getting now even though the source is still burning in but I'm pretty fickle or perhaps I'm just looking for a way to break my bank account.
blink.gif
Even now I'm ready to tweak the cans although everything in me says hold tight. Just very curious about the HD650's, CD3K's and the MSPros as a possible "upgrade" to my 600s.

Sep 11, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #29 of 55
I've been very very happy with my current bedroom/computer setup, which gets more playing time than my main rig in the living room.

Source: Powerbook 1ghz Titanium
DAC: USB out from powerbook to Xitel Pro Hifilink, coax to Scott Nixon TubeDAC+ w/3xac power supply, E88CC Mullard NOS tube
Amp: Meridian 551 integrated amp, w/ built in headphone amp
Speakers: Triangle Titus 202
Headphone: Alessandro MS-pro

Sep 12, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #30 of 55
Here's another pair of hands up for being a satisfied headfier. Ever since the addition of the Stealth, I'm quite content; more importantly, I haven't had the urge to buy/upgrade. With that being said, there's only a two things that I'd consider spending money on with in the next few months, a used pair of R10 or a complete Scout rig. The R10 is doubtful since they rarely if ever come up used. I'd probably pick up the Scout in December. Do all headfiers plan their purchases this far ahead as well?

Oh yeah, I also need to change out my tube monos (sixpacs) for a solid state amp. I can't take the heat anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back