This is so scary...
Mar 1, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hitler recognised that education is important. Even tyrants have good ideas now and again.

Actually, Hitler adopted the schooling method which originated in Prussia after the Battle of Jena. It was developed by August Comte and was designed and I quote "To create the perfect proleteriat through breaking childrens bonds with their parents, their God, and each other." That's right from Comte's mouth. Hitler adopted this system, which is the same one in use in the United States by the way, because he knew that it was an incredibly effective method in which to indoctrinate people. And that's a fact. I'm in the middle of authoring a book about modern education and I've been researching for over a year now. It's utterly amazing how the system developed and was brought over.

If anyone is interested, read the Undergroudn History of American Education by John Taylor Gatto (3 time New York State teacher of the year, over 50 years in the classroom). It is one of the most intellectually stimulating books I have ever read. It won't leave you unaffected.

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many tyrants throughout history were some of the most progressive and efficient rulers ever. With absolute power comes the ability to make big changes, and some tyrants made good with that power, if not in a very ruthless manner. Hitler chose to attack Jews because he was intelligent enough to recognise that a common enemy would unite Germany, and unite them under him. It's the same reason why kids in school single out people to bully in order to feel united. Hitler was evil in that he had no qualms with waging war against a whole race (hell, he had Jewish friends before and even while, IIRC, he was in power), but in his mind it was just a method of moving Germany forward.

I beseech you to delve deeper into history and research on the development of genetics in 1900s before misleading others into thinking that Hitler was only politically motivated to eliminate the jews.

And do not rely on the history textbooks MOE has given you. They only do a great job teaching you how to answer the exams with model answers.

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #21 of 25
some of the smartest people i know were home schooled. they're also very shy and not exactly social butterflies... the main thing i get out of school is the social experience. people need to interact with humans as much as possible to be well-rounded, and honestly, brains aren't everything... i'd rather lose all of my knowledge of math, technology, and sciences than my ability to communicate my opinions and interact socially. i'm not saying that all home-schooled kids are shut-ins that prefer playing yugioh to socializing, or that school is the only way someone's going to be socially active. i'm just saying that overall public/private school is a better way to get someone ready for the world.

however, the article in question is ridiculous.

[size=xx-small]edit: post HD600![/size]

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #22 of 25
I have a friend who was home schooled in public school and he was quiet when I met him, but my outrageousness must have set him off. Hes now one of the loudest guys I know. Plus hes smart as well, but overall hes a cool guy. I dont think it would have made a difference if he was in a public school in elementary times.

Mar 2, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some of the smartest people i know were home schooled. they're also very shy and not exactly social butterflies... the main thing i get out of school is the social experience. people need to interact with humans as much as possible to be well-rounded, and honestly, brains aren't everything... i'd rather lose all of my knowledge of math, technology, and sciences than my ability to communicate my opinions and interact socially. i'm not saying that all home-schooled kids are shut-ins that prefer playing yugioh to socializing, or that school is the only way someone's going to be socially active. i'm just saying that overall public/private school is a better way to get someone ready for the world.

however, the article in question is ridiculous.

[size=xx-small]edit: post HD600![/size]

I don't think public school, or any kind of school, is necessary, or even beneficial for, a child's socialization. If anything, they become hyper-socialized from constantly being around such an unnaturally large number of other children. I can already see the negative effects of it in my little sister. There are much better ways to go about doing this. Some homeschoolers meet in groups with other homechoolers, some attend church, or any number of equivalent activities.

I firmly believe that the human brain evolved to deal with a certain social group size. The average school may contain many, many times more people than what we are naturally equipped to deal with, causing what I call "social overload", among other problems. There are a lot of pretty unsavory kids in public and even private schools, bullying, A-hole teachers, poor quality of teaching, extreme social and peer pressure to conform to certain norms, and a whole host of other problems.

If I ever have children, I am fairly certain that they will be home-schooled.

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #24 of 25
^ Ah, but then they will be experienced in both the good and bad of people and society.

By the way...anybody seen Jesus Camp?

Homeschooling
+
Religion fanatics
=
Bose-loving worshippers

tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #25 of 25
The thing about schooling is that you get to learn about things from two sources, your parents/family and those at school. You get an averaging effect here, as a small child your parents define the world around you, but then later at school you can see that other people exist, and that you need to interact with them, and observe their beliefs and way of doing things, all when your parents are not there, and I think that having to go to the first class of grade 1, and say goodbye to your parents, and then try and survive the 6 hours, is a very important thing.

Homeschooling is best left for when the academic benefits of the system can be realised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back