This is just getting too nerveracking! Help me choose! ie6 or ie7
Mar 25, 2009 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

my.self

500+ Head-Fier
hi there, so yes, the title says it. ive been looking through several threads trying to figure out which one i would like better. the sennheiser ie6 or the ie7. i have read several past threads with using the search button, yes, i know ur surprised someone actually uses the search button haha. but anyways i wanted to say that so i dont get any comments saying "use the search button" cuz i already did and i still cant decide.

onto the details...

music i listen to:

-rap,hip-hop, R&B
-rock, alternative rock, heavy rock, metal

things ive read up about the ie6 and ie7

IE7:
-more neutral
-bigger sound stage
-more mids than ie6
-better clarity
-less bass

IE6:
-lighest out of IE series
-more bass than ie7
-not as detailed/clear as ie7
-not as much mids

i know i make it sound that the ie7 is better, but thats seriously what i read. i have a tough time deciding because i listen to both rap/hip-hop AND rock/heavy rock etc. so its kinda like well ie6 has better bass which is good for rap and hip-hop and stuff, but the mids arent as good for rock. now on the other hand...the ie7 has good soundstage/clarity and mids and stuff for rock, but im not sure how well the bass is for rap/hip-hop. i am not going to go for the ie8's because i just think that will be overkill on bass and i dont have that kind of money. speaking of bass, i do like bass but im not a bass head. i like above average bass, but not bass head material. the best way to put it, i like the half way mark between average bass and bass head bass

i would greatly appreciate help from u guys since i know this is a great community.

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #2 of 11
IE7 has more than enough bass to serve your hip hop needs....if u buy IE6..you wont really enjoy rock on them as much because the bass overclouds the Midrange...not as much as CX300 but still its not as detailed in midrange as IE7.

yes IE6 is lightweight, looks good too and has heaviness in bass if thats what u like

but

IE7 does rock good...the guitar sounds very good on it because bass isnt overpowering and vocals are very smooth...but it lacks the energy in upper mids like IE8...its more laid back....but definitely much better than IE6 in details.

after 100+ hours of burn in on IE7..the highs become much better....the bass becomes tamed...and it sounds fuller with more sparkle.

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 11
ah i see nocturnal, ive read many of ur posts in past threads talking about the ie7. it seems like good stuff, ty for ur comment, i appreciate it. other comments/suggestions are welcome too! keep em comming!

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 11
IE 8 lol

Seriously though, go for the best that you can currently afford. I've read good stuff about either, but generally IE 7 is the better among the two.

BTW, I notice you have the Image X10. Any particular reason why you are looking for something else?

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 11
I don't want to make your choice any tougher but did you look into the Sennheiser CX6?

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 11
I haven't tried the IE7's but I the IE6's are pretty clear and detailed. The bass tames down and tightens up noticeably at about 100 hours of use (both Walkingman and Mark were right) and the highs brighten way up. I was a bit disappointed at first with the high end, but now I have no complaints. I would say the Dennon Ah-C551's and the Creative Ep630's have more bass quantity, so it's not like the 6's are shaking the pituitary gland or anything, but def more bass than something like Shure e2's or the like. I guess I would agree that the mids are a tad low, but for me that seems like the easiest thing to adjust with an eq...

They are uberlight and comfy though...

If the 7's isolate more than the IE6 that would be a big plus, I am starting to notice that I loose a little sound quality while on the bus etc... Seems like the bass isn't as punchy etc.. but when I get off the bus and its quieter it comes back? I may be crazy, I don't even know if that is possible... The CX6 is closed, but I found that it was about $50 more online than the 6's and about as much as the 7's in the US.

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 11
OP, I went through this same thing as well, which you might know, since I think you posted in my thread yesterday or something. I listen to pretty much all the same things you do, minus the rap and hiphop. But I went with the 7s, simply because I wanted to go for the best that I could afford. I didn't want to end up regretting not purchasing the "higher end". And if all the things that people having been saying between the two are true, then the 7 is definitely what I'm looking for. You just gotta decide between more bass vs. better everything else, and sacrificing a bit of bass, which I doubt the 7 is lacking anyway...
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 11
I don't know
it seems people tends to mix up good bass with bass quantitiy. when they're not the same.
and in electronic music (hip hop is electronic indeed) good bass is essential. and soundstage is the other must for electornic music.

but these things are essential for all music so

I vote to 7

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 11
ah wow, 10-0, i guess ie7 it is!

to walkingman, yes i do have the image x10 but im looking for something else because..

-the x10 mids seem to be a little too recessed for my taste
-the microphonics, theres just too much of it for me personally
-they feel quite fragile to me, not sure if its because there so small or not, but im quite scared that maybe if i drop them on the ground or something they'll break or get damaged

the things i like about the x10...

-great bass, i like it a lot
-light weight and comfortable/easy to put on, just slip em in and out.

thanks all who voted and helped in this thread! greatly appreciated!
this thread can continue to be a discussion thread if u guys like or if others want to post/comment their questions here, that'll be fine too. my x10's will be in the FS thread later today.

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #11 of 11
In Germany the price difference between IE6 and IE/ is €33 (95 vs 128). I think it is easier to go for the IE7 than for the IE6. After all you don't by headphones every now and then, so you "forget" about the price difference after a while...and you enjoy quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back