This is hard for me to explain but what would happen if I was to...
Sep 16, 2007 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

stevenkelby

Headphoneus Supremus
make a panel, from metal, onto which I mounted Left and Right RCA jacks, the grounds of which are touching the panel, thus connected to each other.

Of course that's not a problem as I'm using TRS plugs and the ground is all shared anyway.

Now, what if I mount a charging socket for my imod on that same panel, and the negative side of that socket is also touching that panel, thus touching the ground of the audio jacks?

Does it matter? If I don't charge while playing music I know it won't make a difference, but can I charge safely while playing music this way? I assume it will be fine as the +5V from the charger is isolated, but just want to see if I'm missing anything obvious with my limited electrical knowledge.

Thanks,

Steve.

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 3
If you have a virtual ground based amp, then the -ve will be shorted to the ground and that is very bad, you'll want an isolated power socket so get one that is all plastic casing. Also if you have an active output ground that is separate from the input ground, you'll need to isolate your TRS plug from the case as well but if they shorted it wouldn't be overly bad but something you still want to avoid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back