This is disturbing!
May 2, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #106 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dane
Heh, funny thread. And there are definitely two sides of the story.

Oh no! Please understand that this is exactly what you do NOT do, it will sound like an earthquake downstairs. My upstairs neighbor did this, walked around normally (i.e. like you do down at the street, briskly, heel first). It was a nightmare. My ceiling and floor (yes floor) shaked so much that I could visibly see lamps swaying.

He was totally unaware of the noise he caused and didn't even believe that it came from him. So our first confrontation didn't go well (probably thought I was nuts). To my immense luck his next door neighbor complained independently of me asking whether he kept horses in his apartment. When he finally realized that he really annoyed his neighbors he made an effort to walk around thoughtfully and everybody is happy now. No problem and no hard feelings.

The point here is that he wasn't jumping or running around, he just walked normally around (street walk). And you just dont do that in an appartment - one single "street walk" step causes a gigantic thump that walkes up sleeping people, and surprise, that pisses them off.

So, for goodness sake, understand that you should walk around lightly. Try to listen to your own walk, what do you hear? Do you hit the floor heel first? Walking lightly is such a tiny effort, so why not do it? My upstairs neightbor could (and would) learn it, so can you.

WRT the music - you have headphones right
smily_headphones1.gif

All this being said, this lady clearly needs help. What a sad person - you really seem to fill up her life
icon10.gif

Exactly. Learning to be a Doctor is one thing but mastering a quiet bedside manner is hard work. Tread carefully
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #107 of 209
for goodness sakes, you guys know nothing about Vikram! Neither how he walks, nor what his bedside manner is like. He is a perfectly polite and friendly guy -- I cannot imagine him being rude to this woman. He walks like any normal person -- his strides are not like he is preparing for the triple jump. PF, I know you have had your issue with noisy neighbors moving in around you, but this is not the case here. I am sure that if any of us were in his place we would have the same complaints lodged against us.

I for one am somebody extremely sensitive to noise -- I grew up in the countryside where I could always have absolute silence, and then I went to live in dorms for 9 years, possibly the loudest environment it is possible to live in. Now I live on the ground floor of an apartment. The people above me make some noise -- TV noise, guitar playing, walking around, but it is no big deal. They are quiet at night and generally fine to be with. If that lady lived here, she would have a heart attack. My point is that at some level you just have to concede the fact that people are going to be heard.
This is also a very Western issue as well -- I can't imagine anyone would dream of complaining about this sort of thing in Russia, China, India, South America, or anywhere else where there is a culture more focused on community than individual interests.

May 2, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #108 of 209
Stuartr, I don't read it that Ozric is being attacked. The woman is hypersensitive to sound, and I was personally was trying to get all the facts straight, being sympathetic to someone being sound-tortured and all. And I still don't doubt her sincerity, but it's becoming clear some of this she's bringing on herself. Kids play in courtyards, people have to be able walk, etc... So she obviously has "issues" and they really have little to do with Ozric, he's just the target. I understand that.

But what sounds like normal walking to you in his apartment, will sound like a symphony of stampeding cattle if it's the purposeful stride he mentioned. We' apartment-dwellers of the world were just trying to point out that it's really very rude, even if you're a perfectly nice guy, even if you weren't aware of it. There's been enough of us here to tell him, dude, fix the way you walk while inside! It'll never be perfect enough for this woman, that's true. But think ahead to that glorious day when she moves to Sun City, AZ and you get a nice new neighbor. They will secretly thank you for not walking like a flat-footed monster.
wink.gif

I think he's gotten the message.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #109 of 209
Why am I not suprised to learn of her past run-ins with management over the noise level?

This is a prime candidate for non-renewal of lease. At least you can now feel good that it really and truly is not you. This woman sounds like a bit of a crank, and she's looking for someone to vent her spleen at. Too bad it turns out to be you.

Oh well....

May 3, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #110 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I think he's gotten the message.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I have. Despite the fact that she's being hypersensitive, I've changed the way I walk... I'm sure she will still find something else to whine about. The previous tenants were two petite girls who weighed a lot less than me, and probably walked differently, too. The manager lives below this woman, and says that this woman makes noise herself, including opening and shutting the screen doors in the middle of the night to have a smoke...perhaps people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

May 3, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #111 of 209
i have only .02 to put in on this, and one question. are you sure that the landlord (in order to placate this woman) didn't ask her to keep the log, and she just took it a step farther and put it on the net? i ask this because i have two elephants living below me who not only walk like elephants, but also talk like ringmasters. i am interested in seeing them gone at the end of their lease and i have called the landlord numerous times about this, the noise that is, and he has asked me to keep a "log" of sorts, he says this will help him in getting this a-hole and his kid out at the end of their lease. believe me, i have a very long fuse, but i have put up with their crap for far too long. there are times when i will come off 20+ hours of work and want to get some sleep only to come home to banging of doors, closets, cabinets, loud voices etc. if you live around it long enough it will bring you to the frayed ends of sanity, to that i can attest. good riddance to bad rubbish i say, i'm not attesting to your situation, only putting out their what it feels like being on the other end of the stick. imo,ymmv, blah blah blah.....

May 3, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #112 of 209
Amen to that! What would happen to our dog if we complained about the one upstairs?

Apartment living just isn't for her, you live next to people, and you're bound to hear them. I suppose that given all we know now, yes, it's best for you to take a mediator with you. It let's her know you're serious about your complaint, and serious about getting this resolved... now. Short of walking not so flat-footedly. I hope someone points out to her that firstly, you have a roomate, secondly, how can she know for sure that she wasn't hearing someone else? And I'd bring up these other allegations and complaints she's made in the past. The problem didn't start when you arrived. But then I guess you know all that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck! I hope that you can manage to stay out of the courts on this one, and that she can learn how to relax.

May 3, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #114 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric
Yes, I have. Despite the fact that she's being hypersensitive, I've changed the way I walk... I'm sure she will still find something else to whine about. The previous tenants were two petite girls who weighed a lot less than me, and probably walked differently, too. The manager lives below this woman, and says that this woman makes noise herself, including opening and shutting the screen doors in the middle of the night to have a smoke...perhaps people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Has your manager mentioned this fact to the woman? Maybe she would change her tune a little to know that she is noise maker herself.

May 3, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #115 of 209
I have some advice for that agoraphobic, noise sensitive weirdo down below you.
BUY A FREAKIN' HOUSE IN THE COUNTRY!!!!!
But knowing her, she would probably complain about the crickets.
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

May 4, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #116 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Don't forget the frogs...
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 4, 2004 at 9:27 AM Post #117 of 209
Heheh, when we went home for the summer, to my parent's place in the country, there were so many things I forgot to warn my apartment-dwelling husband about..

Like the huge "big ben" of a grandfather clock that chimes every 15 minutes, even when he's sleeping. The crickets and other bugs that sing at night, and the family of very vocal frogs under my window. Then in the morning, dad cranks up the riding lawnmower and thinks that since we're still asleep, it's funny to get the grass really well under my window.

Yes, there's even noises out in the country, and there was no point complaining to the management.
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2004 at 11:49 AM Post #118 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Aren't doctors supposed to have empathy?
wink.gif

Come on, use some of those empathy skills!
tongue.gif

He's not practicing medicine. He said that he's a "non-practicing" physician who is getting another degree. So cut him some slack.
biggrin.gif

On a semi-related note, my girlfriend is also a physician who is not sure she wants to continue practicing. Do you want to get into hospital administration? I have a friend who is a MSHA (but not a MD) who does that, but it seems like overkill to get an MD before getting a MSHA or a MPH. I feel sorry for her that it took her this long and this much effort (and $$$$!) only to discover after a year of residency that she doesn't enjoy practicing.
frown.gif

Back on the topic at hand, I live on the upper floor of a 2-story co-op. All of my neighbors have been here for years, and I am the newest one in my building (I moved in 4 years ago). About a year ago, I was using a technique I learned in my high school days while working at McDonald's: striking the countertop with frozen hamburger patties in order to separate them. I struck the counter hard - twice. About 5 seconds later, my downstairs neighbor struck the ceiling, in "retaliation," I suppose.
rolleyes.gif
Well, a couple of months ago, when my niece and nephew were over watching TV, the man downstairs came up and pounded on my door. He smelled of alcohol, and he was angry. He said, "will you have some consideration and let me sleep?! I just worked a 12-hour shift, and I'm sick and tired of hearing your noises all the time. We all have to live our lives, but PLEASE have some consideration..." This was about 4:00 in the afternoon, mind you. We were being relatively quiet in the house at this time, so I asked my neighbor if it was the TV that bothered him. He said he couldn't hear my TV.

Everyone takes off their shoes when they enter my house. I am always asking my kids (younger teens) to keep it down, and they are usually very quiet. Doors get slammed sometimes, and I'm sure our washer, dryer, and dishwasher create quite a rumble through the floor, but we don't run them at unreasonable hours.

My mom has cats. They weigh less than 10 pounds each. But when they are running through the bedrooms upstairs, and I am in the kitchen below them, it sounds like galloping horses up there! Do you have cats, Ozric?
biggrin.gif

Ozric, I know some of what you're going through. I try to be a considerate neighbor, I take off my shoes not just to keep my floors clean, but out of consideration to my neighbor. I keep my kids and my neice and nephew quiet, and don't permit them to turn up their music. I walk slowly and don't slam doors (except the occassional "accidental" slamming, such as when a window is open and the doors slam more easily). I only turn the TV up enough to hear it - no more. I don't use a treadmill or any other potentially disturbing equipment. Yet despite all of this, my neighbors think I'm an inconsiderate oaf.

May 4, 2004 at 12:38 PM Post #119 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Not strictly true GlowWorm I'm afraid. I live in possibly the most peaceful village in the UK and you used to be able to hear a pin drop it was that quiet.

Last year the neanderthals 2 houses away decided to buy one of their mutant offspring a drum kit and the other a motorbike. They also built a garage to house the drum kit so this acne ridden retard could beat his drum far away from "their" house.

I live in a detached house and the gardens are pretty big, the way this garage was placed means it backs on to my garden.... even though they are 2 houses away..... and this garage is closer to my house than it is to theirs.

Well, the past year has been a ******n nightmare here with this muppet beating his drums loudly (with the garage door open) about 5 hours per evening and most of the day at the weekends. I live in a cul de sac and am fortunate not to hear passing traffic BUT the other "child" goes out and revs his motorbike up and drives round and round in circles at the same time the mad drummer is beating his ungodly drums. All this cocophony sets the 2 dogs off next door (an irish wolfhound and a Jack Russel) so you can imagine the noise this family of neanderthals manages to create.

I tried speaking to the parents but they are a couple of ignorant sods who are of the belief "children should be allowed to do whatever they want" well these are not children, one of them is 15 and the other is 17.

Anyway I don't want to drone on about this but I know how inconsiderate noisy neighbours can effect people. I called the police yesterday as this guy was drumming all day and the other one was revving his bike for "5" hours non stop (not even riding it)

Well, a lot of use they were! all they could suggest is I get in touch with the environmental health department and get them to check out the level of the noise. They were waffling on about what was considered "acceptable" noise etc. etc. I pointed out to them that this family obviously considered it "unacceptable" to them as they built their damned garage 200 yards away from "their" house and 15 yards away from "mine"

Some people have got such a brass neck, when their children were young they sent them along the road to other peoples houses to play football and scream and shout....... they never played in their own garden.... just shows you what type of inconsiderate self centered ignorant b*stards I'm dealing with here
mad.gif

May 4, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #120 of 209
In a «past life» I was the director of an indoor tennis center. So the concept of acceptable level of sound between tennis courts was a constant issue. The main excuse to behave like a barbarian after winning a point was: Hey I've paid good money to make this reservation so bug off. It's always the same debate around what are you entitle when you rent something. But in the Vikram case it was not about dog rights or even cricket rights....
biggrin.gif

All that saga was about protecting the privacy right of the individual. The relation in the building between Vik and the lady wasn't in the initial picture at all. Let me put it in other words: If I went in a drugstore and while standing in line to pay for some items I saw in front of me PinkFloyd bying 10,000 condoms do I have the right to make it public on the internet?

Amicalement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back