this is absurd(tt,no dustcover)
May 18, 2011 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
the clearaudio statement does not have a dustcover. probably due to it's size i suppose. so what to do? i put a trash can over it! i bet y'all feel real sorry for me lol. seriously though, is there any way to at least get a cover that fits the platter on top?

May 19, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 8
Yes, you csn have a cover. Acrylic sheets are available at Lowe's and not terribly expensive. Cut out the panels you need and glue them together. You can sand the rough edges with increasingly finer sandpaper and then polish them with plastic polish.

If you don't want to do it, look to see if anyone local does work in acrylic. You might want to hit up a business that makes commercial signage for businesses. They should have everything needed and could knock off a cover, no problem. Materials shouldn't be more than $20-$30 and the cutting shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes.

May 19, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 8
We all feel terribly sorry for you. If you would like, I'd be happy to take the Statement off your hands and rid you of the trouble it has caused.

Of course, I'm operating on the possibly false assumption that you're not simply trolling. :wink:

May 19, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 8
uncle erik, i don't know why i hadn't thought of that. that is a great idea. i know a place that makes signs. this should work great.

no, i was not trolling revolink. even though i was being sarcastic. a tt without a cover is a problem around here. dust. i suppose it does not have a cover due to the size. i am sure the thing i have built will not be as nice as one of the small ones for a vpi or whatever but it is a heck of a lot better than the garbage can.

consider this "problem" solved. thanks uncle erik.

edit:
i thought of a better idea. i don't know why i did not think of this before. there is a shop that makes custom acrylic aquariums. it will be much more than uncle eriks idea but i think this should look good. given what the tt is. i will get it to just cover the top plinth with a handles of some sort on the sides if they can do that. it is just not possible to cover the whole thing. i really should dust more lol. like i said, i did not mean to sound like a jerk but it really is absurd that such a tt does not have a dust cover. however i think dust covers on many high end tt's are optional and not provided by the tt manufacturer.

May 21, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 8
Dust covers sound like poo in speaker systems - they pick up their own interesting resonances. 

"lift off" "drop on" unhinged dustcovers are well known for breaking tonearms. Considering the size necessary for a TT its no surprise - the cover for my technics weighs a good 3lbs and is unwieldy. let the user be ware. You could get a thinner cover, but thin covers are not good enough for studio use. 

Dust the platter off with a swiffer wipe before every listening session, and everything else every now and then. 

May 21, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 8
i take nikongod's answer. just in time! well, i am going to thow a silk drape over it. can a swiffer magnitize the platter or cartridge or anything? i saw the weight of the "cake box" and, myself thought "what if i drop this?". dusting is a skill i sorely need to learn. btw, i did not pay even close to what this normally costs. or any of my gear for that matter. used. i did realize i sort of sounded like an idiot.

May 22, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #7 of 8
Yes, the aquarium place can build a cover for you, too.

I considered a cover for my Michell Orbe, but leave it uncovered. It picks up a little dust, but I wipe the platter with a microcloth before playing and use a wide synthetic artist's brush ($15-$20) to dust it once a week or so. I should have mentioned that before.

Though I am thinking about building a custom lift-off cover or perhaps a cabinet with a cover that folds over the turntable. I caught Mai Tai (my cat) sitting on the platter the other day. No harm done to either the 'table or cat. I didn't even have to tell her to get off - she saw the way I looked at her.

May 23, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 8
so here is what i decided. i found a rubbermade storage crate at walmart that fits the plinth real good. it is very light. so if i drop it hopefully it will not break anything. it looks stupid but whatever. i could always go back to a silk drape. i just like to have my tt's covered. this is fine with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back