This is a viable method of A/B testing, right?
Jun 3, 2008 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aaron313

Headphoneus Supremus
So let's say I have IC A and IC B. Now, I take A and connect it to R, and B to L. Then I play a mono recording. I can simply listen to each side separately and do the comparison, since each channel gets a differently altered signal. Of course, this only works if my ears hear the same.

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 9
Sounds like a good idea to me, I would turn sideways and listen with only one ear at a time though - less variables.

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 9
Sounds ok in theory but headphone listening is awkward and always uncomfortable when listening to only on ear. Even amazing cans sound like garbage when listening through one ear. You just can't get the whole picture.

Jun 5, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds ok in theory but headphone listening is awkward and always uncomfortable when listening to only on ear. Even amazing cans sound like garbage when listening through one ear. You just can't get the whole picture.

That's very true. But hearing memory is very short, so it's easy to be tricked. The best way is to have someone switch cables out for you quickly, or have two inputs.

Jun 5, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have to agree with Punnisher. I can't really imagine this method will work out very well.

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So let's say I have IC A and IC B. Now, I take A and connect it to R, and B to L. Then I play a mono recording. I can simply listen to each side separately and do the comparison, since each channel gets a differently altered signal. Of course, this only works if my ears hear the same.

Listen to it with your headphones on one way, then turn them backwards and see if it sounds different. As long as your headphones aren't directional, it should work fine.

See ya
Steve

Jun 7, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 9
You also know which ear gets which cable, which could sway your opinions.

If you have DIY skills, you can build an "AB" box easily enough, and just have a friend wire it. A true friend will even use the same cable on left and right!

The connections & cables could be hidden in a shoebox or something so you never get to see where the cables are attached.

Jun 7, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Of course, this only works if my ears hear the same.

Which isn't always the case. To check this out, try the dial tone test. Pick up the receiver of a traditional (not cell) phone and hold it to one ear. Then hold it to the other and see if it sounds exactly the same. In my case it doesn't. The difference is slight, but it's there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back