This is a matter of life and death!
Feb 10, 2020 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Zivro

New Head-Fier
Don't click out of this post, this is not a clickbait, this is very serious.

I am currently held hostage by a man who can't be reasoned with. He is quite likely insane,
he tells me that he has around 500$ or so to spend on a pair of headphones. He'd like to spend less if he could
but that's his limit. I have no idea what he's talking about, I told him he should just go into a store and buy a 'regular' pair of headphones. That just made him angrier. He called me trash and told me I have a single day to find him an answer before I'm done for. He mentioned considering some Sundaras, whatever that means, or Argon makay three? I don't know. It all sounded like gibberish to me.

From what I've heard, he listens to everything, but particularly enjoys rock, alternative rock, grunge, and indie.

He also commented on appreciating high-quality bass. I also think he games a lot, I took a sneak peek and they are mostly games you don't need a competitive edge for.

I try not to look too much, but it seems that the headphones are hooked into some small, pathetic looking black box with O2 written on it, the box is then hooked to his desktop.

That's all I know, please help me. Please.
I guess if you have any questions I could try and find out, take a risk, but please someone hurry...
You're my only hope...

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 17
agxzkRJo_700w_0.jpg

Beyerdynamic DT1770 would be my choice.
It's gone down in price on amazon recently, so it should be well within the budget.

I would avoid Sunara (and Hifiman in general) like the plague. I've seen way too many posts about quality issues and faults develop with it recently.

By best advice is to not get into a hostage situation in the first place.
Easy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 17
agxzkRJo_700w_0.jpg

It's gone down in price on amazon recently, so it should be well within the budget.

I would avoid Sunara (and Hifiman in general) like the plague. I've seen way too many posts about quality issues and faults develop with it recently.

By best advice is to not get into a hostage situation in the first place.
Easy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hey, I can actually listen to the 1770 near my workplace, so I'll try them out and tell you how they were a bit later today. Would you say these are the same/better dt177xGO?

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 17
I've not heard the drop version, but looking at the graphs it looks like they've tuned it a little so it's smoother.
This would be good for longer listening sessions but might make the music ever so slightly less exciting.
I bet they're almost identical though.

Feb 10, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 17
Lol I thought this is some spambot placing sketchy links or something but I must say, it's very original and funny.

But what if that insane man ordered the 177X Go and it turns out the regular 1770 is better? Aren't you done for because you wasted him his day and waiting?

Feb 10, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 17
Audeze LCD-2 classic, used. Not quite the soundstage for competitive gaming but has the body and bass for immersive gaming, better bass than the Hifiman Sundara for sure and is a great headphone for rock/metal/single player games and movies in my opinion.

Feb 10, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #10 of 17
Demand more ransom, like 2500$ then we can talk

Feb 10, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #12 of 17
well the answer is right there

Feb 10, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #13 of 17
Alright, say I bump it to 2500$ - what do I buy then?
You have to tell that dumb insane person to buy Focal Clear, Beyerdynamic T5p and T1 and Audeze Mobius, Sennheiser HD820S, Meze Empyrean and a Tesla Model 3. And next time only use carrier pigeon so you'll no longer be taken hostage.

Feb 11, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #14 of 17

Easy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Alright, so I listened to it and I have to say. It is detailed, okay soundstage for a closed back... but it wasn't very fun listening to. Didn't feel immersed in the music.
I guess they're not really suiting my subjective taste.

Anything else you could recommend?

Feb 11, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #15 of 17
Alright, so I listened to it and I have to say. It is detailed, okay soundstage for a closed back... but it wasn't very fun listening to. Didn't feel immersed in the music.
I guess they're not really suiting my subjective taste.

Anything else you could recommend?

Maybe try out a pair of Sony MDR 1-AM2 ?
Or maybe even a pair of Grado's? (I consider them "fun" and bright..)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back