this forum is driving me nuts!! HD205 vs HD419 vs HTF600 vs HA-M750 HA-M750
Feb 22, 2012 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mushlova

New Head-Fier
Hi geezers!
I've spent the last 5 days browsing this forum, just to make sure the HD205 was a good cheap choice and it ended up draining all my free time browsing threads, brands I didnt even know existed, let alone all the amp business! This forum is really great, I've learned a lot and I'm sorry for my first post being an help request, but I've got to start from somewhere innit.

About me: I have been travelling and working abroad for a long time (that's why earplugs were convenient), but I am resettling now and in the process I need some decent headphones on the cheap side of the things. I will be commuting a lot, so I need closed cans. I will be most likely producing some electronic music but not in the immediate future. I will be occasionaly djing in house and warehouse parties too.

Source: mostly ipod at the beginning, laptop generic sound card a bit later (I will try to improve on that side too). No amp in the short and mid term, so they should be good ampless.

Type of music: tons of reggae, dub and psychedelic downtempo, some jazz, blues, prog rock and storytellers on the slow side of the things. Lots of psytrance, dnb and progressive on the faster end.

I am a bit of a basshead in terms of musical tastes but I like my sound to be complete as a lot of psy music plays around highs. On one hand I can't do with headphones that are weak in the lows, on the other I dont want a bass that would be taking over everything else. 

I dont want to be tempted to upgrade my headphones in 6 months time, they have to satisfy me for, say, 18 months at least.
I am not the best care taker, so they need to have a decent built.

They should be light and slim, so to carry them easily (no Koss I guess?..I was veeeery tempted by Koss Pro/4AAT but it seems a sofa only option, plus the amp issue).

I dont have the chance to test or even wear them before buying.

I managed to restrict my choices to:
HD205
HD419
HTF-600
HA-M750

I am very tempted by Sennheiser's quality so HD205 seemed the logic choice but I am a bit concerned about how much they clamp your ears. Dont want to limit their usage because of earpain or headache (I know you can put them around books and shoes boxes but from what I've understood, this will make them only bearable, not comfortable for long sessions..although I guess this would make them good for running?).

HD419 seems cool, with a decent but not too invasive bass but not too much info yet on the net. Also, it's a bit expensive for my wallet so I need extra motivation.

HTF-600 (also expensive) and HA-M750 were names that came out here on the forum so would like to hear more.

Creative Aurvana Live and Koss Pro dj100 cost too much for my wallet in Europe so I'm not considering them.

I am also shocked at the general price difference between US and Europe..I mean..why??

sooooooooo..any help? I'll send a bucket of parmesan cheese to the most helpful reply! an horse head to the most useless 
wink_face.gif

Feb 22, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 15
check out Superlux Hd-668b

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 15
that looks good but it's not available in Italy..I could order it from the UK but the cost would double making it the most expensive of the lot..still worth it you reckon? and besides..how does it sound with no amp?

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 15
Heya,

So this is for producing or just casual listening? Sounds like producing. I would suggest you look at monitors or anything with a linear reference sound. If you want playback for casual enjoyment, get something cheap and bassy (aka, HTF600, XB500, etc). For producing, you want linear.

KRK KNS6400 & KNS8400
AKG K271 MK II
Shure SRH840
Ultrasone PRO 650
HM5

Check those out.

Very best,

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 15
From my own experience with the HD205-II, they are very balanced and good looking headphones, but the ear cushions clamp the backs of my ears so much that my ears hurt over an hour or so.  You can modify them with replacement pads later like I did, but that takes time and effort on top of more cash and extra parts.

The HD419 looks ok, but it's the bottom of the HD4#9 series.  The 4#8 series have been reviewed more often on here than the brand-new 4#9 series, and you can probably get more quality for less price.  Look for HD428, 438, and 448.  Both of these series are designed for use without an amplifier.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 15
HD668B are semi-open, but dont leak a lot from what i've heard. I'm actually waiting for my pair, should be here soon, cant wait. I think they would be a good choice, but ordering from thomann will be 48 euros i think, 28 for headphones, 20 shipping... I brought mine off a fellow headfier for 35 euros shipped.

Good luck, i'm not a fan of lower end senn's.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 15
I have an HD205. They have nice extension on the low end and fairy tight bass, but its not a very full sound. I find them to be a little thin and the highs a bit harsh. They are not comfortable at all. They are horrid if you wear glasses, even if you do take time to stretch them out. I'd consider other options unless you can get them dirt cheap. I prefer my ath-t400's over the HD205 by far, which would be in your price range in Europe, but they are definitely not built to be a dj/studio/recording can, though they have great comfort and isolation with very little leakage.

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Heya,

So this is for producing or just casual listening? Sounds like producing. I would suggest you look at monitors or anything with a linear reference sound. If you want playback for casual enjoyment, get something cheap and bassy (aka, HTF600, XB500, etc). For producing, you want linear.

KRK KNS6400 & KNS8400
AKG K271 MK II
Shure SRH840
Ultrasone PRO 650
HM5

Check those out.

Very best,

Thanks for the contribution Mal. Well there will be some producing action going on but not too soon I am afraid. There will be much more casual listening the first few months with some djing involved (but djing is not essential as I can always borrow phones from other mates). Ideally I would be using the phones I am about to buy for casual listening and a bit of producing at the beginning, and most likely buying a monitor set when things will get more hot on the producing side (and cash and spare time more available).
That's why I wanted some cans neutralish but a bit more strong on the bass side. And cheap, of course. 

Quote:
From my own experience with the HD205-II, they are very balanced and good looking headphones, but the ear cushions clamp the backs of my ears so much that my ears hurt over an hour or so.  You can modify them with replacement pads later like I did, but that takes time and effort on top of more cash and extra parts.

The HD419 looks ok, but it's the bottom of the HD4#9 series.  The 4#8 series have been reviewed more often on here than the brand-new 4#9 series, and you can probably get more quality for less price.  Look for HD428, 438, and 448.  Both of these series are designed for use without an amplifier.

Yeah I know, right! Bloody HD205-II look just about what I am after but cant be bothered with ears pain. Also, as you pointed out, changing pads is not really what I am looking for at the moment and on top of that things are not that easily (or cheaply) available down here. Was replacing pads enough to eliminate your pain?
The HD428 captured my attention but from many reviews they seem to be a bit too wacky on the bass, which puts me off a bit. Good to know the 4#9 series is designed to work well with no amp.

Quote:
HD668B are semi-open, but dont leak a lot from what i've heard. I'm actually waiting for my pair, should be here soon, cant wait. I think they would be a good choice, but ordering from thomann will be 48 euros i think, 28 for headphones, 20 shipping... I brought mine off a fellow headfier for 35 euros shipped.
Good luck, i'm not a fan of lower end senn's.

Those Superlux look like a bargain! But I need closed cans, anything else is not an option at the moment..Any other European websites selling phones you would raccomend? Thomann looks well nice pricewise!

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
I have an HD205. They have nice extension on the low end and fairy tight bass, but its not a very full sound. I find them to be a little thin and the highs a bit harsh. They are not comfortable at all. They are horrid if you wear glasses, even if you do take time to stretch them out. I'd consider other options unless you can get them dirt cheap. I prefer my ath-t400's over the HD205 by far, which would be in your price range in Europe, but they are definitely not built to be a dj/studio/recording can, though they have great comfort and isolation with very little leakage.

I am liking what I am reading there..I have never heard about them until now but your and others reviews appeal me a lot, I kid you not. Unfortunately the cheapest price I've found is 68euro, which is a bit off my budget..I could do the extra mile if they are really really worth it though. I deffo need to find good european web dealers so to increase my chances to get better prices. I was favouring the HD419 so far but that Audio Technica looks yummy. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #10 of 15
What about the Superlux HD-662 B?
They look tasty and seem to be up my alley pricewise. How do they work with no amp? Bass is good enough for fun casual listening or are they monitor only cans?
Found a good price for ATH-T400 and a decent one for htf600..As superlux appears to be the cheapest of the lot, I'm quite intrigued. Which one of the aforementioned 3 phones is more fun to listen to and do its job properly even with no amp?

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #11 of 15
I have the Cad mh310 which is basically the same as the hd662. I am really happy with them and can't imagine anything better for the price. I got mine on sale cheap though.
They work great without an amp. They have good sub-bass and and strong highs which makes them pretty fun to listen to. Still a nice balanced sound though. Heres a review.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/cad-mh310-superlux-hd662/reviews

I also owned the htf600 and was always fiddling with them to make them sound how I wanted, as in less boomy bass and clearer highs. I almost had them dialed in before I broke them. They were  fun cans just not very accurate.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 15
P.S. there are three hd662 variants. I am guessing the hd662f (f for flat) may come off as a bit bright by the looks of the frequency graph. I would stick with a Cad mh310 hd662 or hd662b (b for bass)

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #15 of 15
I own a pair of 419s.
They seem to be designed for young people & to compete with the SkullCandy & Beats headphones that young people are attracted to.
To me, they sound best with music that's been recorded since the late 90s.
(hip hop and what passes for r & b nowadays, even that "smooth jazz" sounds good on them)
However, I also listen to soul, funk, r & b and jazz fusion from the 70s & 80s.
For that, I prefer my Sennheiser 203s.
I listen to all my headphones & earbuds through a CMOY 18v amp that I bought on ebay.
I have 2 actually, & a FIIO E5. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back