This equipment. What can I expect?
Dec 7, 2005 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sumone

100+ Head-Fier
AV-710 using digital out. Going into an external DAC (I don't know of any though; they all seem to be more than $100). The DAC has a headphone amp. Headphones HD-280.

Vs.

AV-710 using onboard Wolfson DAC. Going to a PA2 headphone amp. Headphones HD-280.

So I guess my real question is digital_out+ext.DAC or onboard_wolfson_dac+headphone_amp. What would you guys expect to sound better (however opinionated it may be). I just need reasons to justify buying an external DAC that costs > $50 to see if I gain anything over using the soundcard's internal wolfson DAC.

Dec 7, 2005 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 5
Uh.. most external dac's dont' include an amp.. not unless you want to spend 500+ dollars.. The A7V10's analog out sucks. Save for an Emu 0404 (if you don't game) and use it with the pav2. If your a gamer, grab an x-fi.

Some decent computer dac's are Headroom MicroDAC, FbuarII, Spitfire, and there are others.. but with all 3 of those you will also require an amp. The micro is 300$, FubarII is 120$, and Spitfire is 250$.. hence the recomendation for an x-fi or 0404.. they both have far better dac's (then a7v10) and are pretty cheap.

Dec 8, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW
The A7V10's analog out sucks.

This is the hi-sample rate Wolfson DAC analog out you're talking about? I thought it was supposed to be good? What don't you like about it?

Okay, let me put it this way: how much would I have to spend (at minimum) if I wanted better quality than the hi-sample rate Wolfson DAC analog out, that is, using the digital out on the AV-710, an external DAC, and the PAV2 headphone amp?

Dec 8, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 5
cheapest route is to replace the A7V with an Emu 0404. Look around for deals, it can be had for 80$. Then go from Emu analog out > PAV2 > Phones. And not use an external dac at all. This should be a signifigant upgrade.

If you want an external dac, there is the FubarII, Spitfire, MicroDAC, DAC-AH etc. Though im not sure the FubarII is even worth it, 404's probably better. DAC-AH is most likely worth it, but I don't know much about it, think it needs to be imported which is a pain in the ass. The MicroDAC is probably the best option for you. You can use the SPDIF out of hte A7V and everyone knows that it's a quality part, and it's backed and shipped in the us by a reputable company, it's also 300 bucks. You sound like money is an issue to that regard follow my advice up top. Emu404... a word of warning, it's not a game card if you game don't get it. If your a PC gamer look into an X-fi...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back