This cannot be true
May 11, 2006 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

goodsound

100+ Head-Fier
So finally I went to circuitcity and got the much talked about KSC-75. I already have a Grado SR-80 that I have been using for about 2-3 months.
I am not that much of an audiophile although I can tell the difference between good and bad/low-quality sound and I dont have much fancy gear too, but I could not believe my ears what I heard! Or maybe I dont have those golden ears or I am still a newbie in telling the difference, but now I simply don't understand what SR-80 offers over KSC-75, especially considering the $80 price difference! The KSC-75 is simply amazing. If anything the SR-80 is a bit bright or thin (probably the piercing highs and sibilance which I didn't like the first place anyway, but it did improve after the headphones broke-in and the bowl pads setled in).
Someone tell me this aint true. Someone tell me what am I missing here ??

I am listening to these phones playing ripped WAV files (EAC secure rip) through Foobar and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard. I also tried them on my technics stereo receiver with the same result.

May 11, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 21
congrats!
you are eligible for membership on: Team - My Wallet is Safe
now cut your losses on the SR-80's and run like the wind
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodsound
So finally I went to circuitcity and got the much talked about KSC-75. I already have a Grado SR-80 that I have been using for about 2-3 months.
I am not that much of an audiophile although I can tell the difference between good and bad/low-quality sound and I dont have much fancy gear too, but I could not believe my ears what I heard! Or maybe I dont have those golden ears or I am still a newbie in telling the difference, but now I simply don't understand what SR-80 offers over KSC-75, especially considering the $80 price difference! The KSC-75 is simply amazing. If anything the SR-80 is a bit bright or thin (probably the piercing highs and sibilance which I didn't like the first place anyway, but it did improve after the headphones broke-in and the bowl pads setled in).

I am listening to these phones playing ripped WAV files (EAC secure rip) through a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard. I also tried them on my technics stereo receiver with the same result.

...are you willing to sell it to me?
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 21
The KSC75 are very good specially at $10. I am going to send them to HighFlying to put a better cable and a 75 ohm resistor. Can't wait to hear what it will sound like.

I am a Grado fan boy so I doubt I will prefer the KSC75 even with the mods.

May 11, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

I am listening to these phones playing ripped WAV files (EAC secure rip) through Foobar and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard. I also tried them on my technics stereo receiver with the same result.

Oh yes it can be true. The KSC-75s are really good for their price and honestly I think Grados are overrated/overpriced (even though I like my SR-225s).

I haven't heard the SR-80, but I can tell you that the SR-225s are better than the KSC-75s, but really for an extra $190, it is quite difficult to justify. The KSC-35s are colored in a roughly similar way to how the Prestige Series Grados tend to be colored IMHO. I hear more detail on the Grados for sure and they certainly have that special something with guitars, but these are $200 phones so they should be better.

I would advise you to sell your SR-80s and happily go buy some music with the money.

P.S. Consider tightening the clips on the KSC-75s, they get even better!

May 11, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 21
rodbac, sxr71, you posted just before I was going to post this question(below) but I will post this anyway -

well now that I will have some cash to spare
wink.gif
(it never ends, does it ?) -
what would be a considerable step up in the upto-$100 range that is significantly better than the KSC-75 ? I mean something that is "wow! these are much better than KSC-75", and not just 'slightly better' or 'just different' than the KSC-75.

May 11, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

rodbac, sxr71, you posted just before I was going to post this question(below) but I will post this anyway -

wink.gif
what would be a considerable step up in the upto-$100 range that is significantly better than the KSC-75 ? I mean something that is "wow! these are much better than KSC-75", and not just 'slightly better' or 'just different' than the KSC-75.

If you're looking for "Wow- MUCH better than the 75s!" at the under-$100 pricepoint, I don't know if you'll find it (or at least a consensus).

For me, I thought the Sony V6s were noticeably better, and the A-T A500s are supposed to compare very well to their big brothers, the A900s, and I can tell you if they're half of the A900s, they'll be a significant step up from the 75s IMO.

May 11, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

wink.gif

AKG K81DJs are that type of upgrade from ksc-75s, imo.

May 11, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave al'orange
AKG K81DJs are that type of upgrade from ksc-75s, imo.

Yes, quite so. I really loved my KSC75, but we got divorced when the K81 appeared at event horizon.

May 11, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 21
I dunno, i notice a difference between my KSC-75's and my ATH-M30's. The M30 is a fuller, warmer sound. The fullness could be coming with the fact that it's closed vs. open, but i definatly prefer my M30's to the KSC-75's.

May 11, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #14 of 21
Im a huge fan of the KSC 75 as well but I think a lot of people overstate this cans greatness. It is,indeed, the best can near or slightly above its pricepoint ($50 cans tops) Its probably the best value (price vs. performance) in cans today. HOWEVER, this doesnt make it the "under $100" leader a lot of people claim. Ive had many < $100 cans that soundly defeat it. Cans such as the A500, AKG81DJ,MS1 are much better IMO than the Koss. What they ARENT is TEN TIMES BETTER. And thats where your budget comes into play. If you are going to spend $100, then there are better choices than the KSC 75. If you are going to spend $40, then the Koss is the king (and you save $30 to boot)

Again, no disrespect to the Koss. It just drives me nuts when people make claims that its better than all other sub-$100 cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back