Third-Wave Ska Appreciation Thread!
Jun 26, 2010 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ANinjaBurrito

Head-Fier
I am honestly surprised that one of these threads has not been made...

Ska. The "genre for social rejects and band nerds" as my group of friends puts it. (BTW i'm 14. So don't think I have weird adult friends who don't appreciate music :3) But even with those words stinging my ego a bit, I will never give up my love of this underappreciated genre. 

Now what is Ska, and more specifically Third Wave Ska? Ska is Jamacain Reggae music, with some rock guitars and horns thrown in. It is pretty much the best genre ever. What makes it so special? In most other genre's, the songs are very heavy and deep, usually about death or tragic events in the songwriters past. In Ska, the songs are frequently about how much their record company rips them off, about how being in a band is lame, or condeming the public for using cuss words too much, while using them in every lyric.

I'll leave a list of bands for you to look over. (I'm ranking them from most liked/listened to, to least)

-Streetlight Manifesto
-Reel Big Fish
-The Toasters
-Suburban Legends
-Late Less Than Jake albums
-The Specials
-Mu330
-Big D and the Kids Table

Just for starters.

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 7
I like the Specials but I don't think they are 3rd wave.
2-tone?

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 7
The specials were the first 2nd wave ska band. They invented 2-tone. Also a great 3rd wave ska band is Operation Ivy.

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 7
I think Streetlight Manifesto should be its own Genre. I have tried almost all of the bands listed and nothing come close to them. Going to see them in chicago on friday! Cannot wait!

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 7
This needs a bump. I need more bands. Ska is seriously underappreciated outside of my band geek friends. Although I've gotten a few people to like it.

Other than the above, anyone have any suggestions other than Catch 22 (this is barely ska imo), Dave Wakeling, Five Iron Frenzy, General Public, Reel Big Fish, The Aquabats, Tokyo Ska Paradise Orch, [spunge], Ranking Roger, Goldfinger (at a stretch), and One Cool Guy?

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 7
Mustard Plug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back