Thinnest high quality IEM cables?
Aug 10, 2023 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Malthus101

New Head-Fier
Hi

I am starting to really hate the heavy weight of high-quality, quad-strand IEM cables! They drag the IEMs down, get caught on clothing easily etc. I much prefer the lightweight cable that came with my CA Mammoths.

Which are recommended companies making thin but high quality IEM cables?

Thanks.

Aug 10, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 17
Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 17
"Please note Linum cables with 2Pin and MMCX have been phased out, only limited stock left."

So.... only this funky T2 connector (which I've never even heard of) is available.

What da.....

Aug 10, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 17
"Please note Linum cables with 2Pin and MMCX have been phased out, only limited stock left."

So.... only this funky T2 connector (which I've never even heard of) is available.

What da.....
Linum 2-pin cables are also still available for purchase through dealers. With respect to the T2 connector, it is also referred to as IPX and was adopted by brands like Etymōtic and also UltimateEars and 64 Audio for their professional monitors.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 17
Linum 2-pin cables are also still available for purchase through dealers. With respect to the T2 connector, it is also referred to as IPX and was adopted by brands like UltimateEars and 64 Audio for the professional monitors.
Do you think it will eventually replace MMCX and 2-pin? People always seem to complain about MMCX losing connection and 2-pin breaking over time...

Aug 10, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 17
Do you think it will eventually replace MMCX and 2-pin? People always seem to complain about MMCX losing connection and 2-pin breaking over time...
It’s hard to know. 64 Audio said they have no immediate plans to use IPX connectors in their universal monitors and they will continue using 2-pin. I understand a lot of that has to do with the lack of availability of aftermarket IPX cables. Linum themselves released several new braided IPX cables likely to address that for the non-professional audiophile market. For what it’s worth, Jerry Harvey discontinued the T2 option in their new Sharona monitor due to issues.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 17
Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 17
Tanchjim has some quality thin cables.

Aug 16, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #13 of 17
The cable that comes with the nightjar singularity is very thin and also quite nice when I demo'd a unit. It's not available for sale right now buit afaik they are revamping their cable selection and it'll probably be up for sale alone soon.

Aug 17, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #14 of 17
Hi

I am starting to really hate the heavy weight of high-quality, quad-strand IEM cables! They drag the IEMs down, get caught on clothing easily etc. I much prefer the lightweight cable that came with my CA Mammoths.

Which are recommended companies making thin but high quality IEM cables?

Thanks.

Did the mammoths come with ALO smoky litz? Really like that cable. Depending on the IEM i'd be wary of the Linum stuff because AFAIK anything thinner than super-bax is adding resistance, they are ridiculously thin & surprisingly strong though.

Considered using shirt clips? I've always found them to be a must. Wearing the cable behind the head and using the y-cinch is another good way to stabilize IMO.

I've always found the generic shure/westone and plasticsone (generic black cables a lot of companies use) to be pretty reasonable even though they use twisted pair to earpiece.

I've never tried it with other IEMs but the The etymotic ER2 mmcx cable is super thin (you might have to shave down the 'key' to fit on some iems). Cheap feeling but mine lasted 1+ year of fairly rough use.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #15 of 17
I've never tried it with other IEMs but the The etymotic ER2 mmcx cable is super thin (you might have to shave down the 'key' to fit on some iems). Cheap feeling but mine lasted 1+ year of fairly rough use.
Not only cheap feeling, sadly just poorly made. I have owned 3, two are dead on one side, with very light use. They're part of the reason the Etymotics don't get more use. Plus (at least when used with the Etys) they're super microphonic. Honestly, given how long Etymotic has been around it's downright criminal how bad their cables are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back