Thinksound TS01 Review
May 10, 2011 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

HeadphonesCom

Member of the Trade: Headphones.com

Hey everyone, DavidMahler here...

I'm currently in the process of reviewing all of Thinksound's offerings.  To be honest, I had never heard of Thinksound until coming to Headphones.com.  Having the opportunity to audition and review their entire product line is really interesting for me.  I really do like the wood IEM design.  Something I recently found out is that Thinksound was founded by former members of the V-Moda and Tivoli Audio team.  These do resemble in sound quality, my experience with V-Moda products.

The TS02 differs a bit in sound with an even more impactful bass.  The midrange presentation and highs are very similar to me.  

The Official Review:

Thinksound is a company which continues to impress me with their ability to amalgamate good sound, style and ecology-friendly materials at an affordable price.  Like their other in-ear products, the TS01 come with beautiful wooden enclosures that feel great in the hand.  The TS01, like other Thinksound in-ears, fit in my ear exceptionally well. The cable is not particularly intrusive; the earphones stay in place even when I’m jogging.  The TS01 are available in either black/chocolate or silver/cherry and come with an attractive canvas pouch which fits right in my pocket and is convenient for travel.  The cable is also PVC free!  One specific feature I really did appreciate about the TS01 is that they came with ear loops which allow for the cable to stay in place extremely well when the cable is worn around the back of the ear.  When the option is available, I prefer to wear my IEMs with the cable wrapped around the back of the ear as opposed to straight down.  I not only find this style of wearing to be more comfortable but it also alleviates a bit of the cable’s microphonic qualities.  Microphonics is the sounds which the cable makes when the cable is moved or touched.

At the $75 price point, the TS01 have a lot of competitors.  Even still, the very natural resonance achieved by having the drivers housed in a wooden enclosure gives the TS01 a very unique and pleasing sound quality which many other designs cannot compete with at the price point.  I find that the tonal balance is best equipped to satisfy those listening to percussion-heavy music.  Yes, by this mean that the bass is emphasized, full and punchy.  The sound quality of the TS01 excels with Hip-Hop, Pop, R&B, Reggae.  These IEMs also handle sibilance (the harsh sound of the letter “s”) extremely well.  Overall the tonal balance is mellow with decent but recessed upper extension.  Only when compared with much more expensive in-ear-monitors one begins to notice a bit of etch and metallic sound in the mids and highs.  However the wooden enclosures do smooth some of this etch out very effectively.  The mids feel slightly scooped out, creating a mellow listen which is good for long hours, but at times I would have preferred more emphasis on the vocals.

I find that at the $75 price point, these are quite a statement from the Thinksound team.  The naturalness of the decay of sound in these IEMs is a hint more rounded to my ears from comparably priced in-ear headphones. If you want warmth, long listening sessions, on the go then the TS01 are definitely worth your consideration.  And of course you are supporting a company who makes a considerable effort to keep the planet green!

In Ear Rating Chart at Under $80 Price Point:

Sound Quality
7.5 (bass emphasized)
Comfort
Design & Accessories
Isolation
Value

Users who are viewing this thread

Back