Thinksound Rain [REVIEW]
Jul 7, 2010 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JosephKim

1000+ Head-Fier
Isnt it a nice thought that something that can give you shade and provide delicious fruit can also be used to make IEMs? I do. I like walking around knowing I have a little bit of nature in my ears :D. The Thinksound Rains are made of wood, and beautifully made at that.

The wood housing on the Rains give them an elegant, vintage look. The pair that I purchased are the cherry version and Ive already been asked by my friends where I got them, simply based on their appearance.

The Thinksound Rains come with a standard set of tips--large, medium, small, and extra small. I found them to be quite comfortable and feel that most people will be able to find a pair that fits, even with the somewhat limited selection. The quality of the cable is nothing special, standard rubber feel with a clip attached to reduce microphonics when on the move. The rains also come with a carrying bag that looks very "hippy" :). Looks hempish but is made of unbleached cotton.

The Rains really are not an isolating IEM--you can hear outside noise fairly well. I would not recommend these to those where isolation is a must. However, I know some people who would rather not have complete isolation when outside the home, and the Rains would be very good for those people.

Sound Quality
My sources to test the sound quality were the Sansa Clip+, Ipod Nano 2nd gen, and my Sony Vaio laptop. My music consists of primarily 320kbps and FLAC files. I burned them in for a few days, but I bought these from another head-fier and my burn in period did not change the sound quality.

I will be fairly brief about my impressions. I feel the midrange is the focal point of the Rain sound signature. They are very smooth, full, and forward. Perhaps it is the wooden housing (or my mind playing tricks on me), but I would describe the midrange as organic--very warm, non-fatiguing and enjoyable. This is especially noticeable with vocals.

The highs/treble are fairly detailed but lack sparkle. I also noticed with some songs that there is some sibilance and lack of separation at higher volumes. However, overall the highs are quite acceptable and compliment the mids well.

The bass on the Rains are actually just what Im looking for, but for others this might not be the case. It is definitely present and has depth, but there really isnt any "oomph" that will satisfy bassheads. I was surprised to hear some bass that I didnt notice with my Sennheiser mx 580 buds, but I feel that the rains lack the bass extension that is present in other IEMs that I have heard in this price range. Like I said, for me the bass is enough and not overdone but may not satisfy others. Listeners of genres such as hip-hop, techno, and trance should look elsewhere.

The soundstage on the Rains are average. I prefer a soundstage perhaps a few rows back from the stage and fairly wide. I feel the Rains lack the width I enjoy, but is more intimate and will be enjoyable to many who like a more onstage feel.

Overall, I really enjoy the mid-focused sound signature on the Rains--it has a very smooth and warm presentation. I wouldnt say these are spectacular for all genres, but if you listen to mostly acoustic, vocals, pop rock, etc. you should really enjoy these IEMs.

I would also like to commend Thinksound for taking it on themselves to produce a product that is earth friendly. Their initiative to be green has in no way sacrificed the sound/build quality of the product. I can also say that from my brief interaction with a Thinksound rep, their customer service is second to none. You can really tell that they believe in their product and care about each and every customer. This is a refreshing change from some of the bigger companies out there. Their excellent customer service alone makes me want to buy more of their products in the future.

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 3
There happens to be a pair of these available as b-stock at headroom right now too. Good deal.

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 3
i agree with your review.
plenty of mid bass that doesnt extend as low as other iems.
lush mids to die for.
highs a little sibilant but not annoying.
i think the rains have a good fun sound.
because of the signature and lush mids i also find them very suitable for listening to tv and movies where no eq is available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back