Thinkpad options
Jul 28, 2007 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

julius_the_cat

Head-Fier
On order a T60 and a E-MU 0404 USB. My desktop setup is an OLD Frontier Designs Wavecenter PCI card (used to be my Dad's) and Tango DA converter with Dynaudio BM5a monitors and Sony 7506 phones, which actually sound pretty good.

I can't take my rack to school but will take both the desktop and laptop with the phones but not the monitors. My guitar amp has a line out emulation and I would like mix the guitar and a song playing through the PC and listen to the combination on my phones. (I currently just play the tune through the PC and plug in my guitar amp - but I don't think that will work in my dorm room)

I would also like to upgrade the sound on the laptop, but think the 0404 may be too big to lug around routinely.

Question is would adding an Indigo DJ for the laptop (the T60 does accept PCMCIA) add anything that the 0404 doesn't do other than take up less space?

Any thoughts or comments appreciated. Sorry for the LONG post.

Jul 28, 2007 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 6
I think you'll find your amp or monitors to be just fine in a dorm (if you don't mind lugging them back and forth, that is. Neighbors won't mind the noise, might even enjoy it, or will just tell you to can it).

True, you absolutely don't want to lug around the 0404. I have the original Indigo card, and it's great for portability.

The 0404 does a lot that the Indigo doesn't do. It just depends on whether you need it or not. I only need a lineout/headphone out, so I'm fine. You may still want the 0404 if you want to record.

Jul 28, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by zhefei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 0404 does a lot that the Indigo doesn't do. It just depends on whether you need it or not. I only need a lineout/headphone out, so I'm fine. You may still want the 0404 if you want to record.

Does the Indigo do anything the 0404 doesn't?

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 6
Ah, I misread your original question.

I don't think the Indigo adds any more functionality than the 0404. If you want to carry a laptop/headphones setup around with you, the Indigo will be far better than the 0404.

An alternative to the Indigo is the Headroom Total Bithead. USB powered, with crossfeed switch, and line-input for a portable player.

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by zhefei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, I misread your original question.

I don't think the Indigo adds any more functionality than the 0404. If you want to carry a laptop/headphones setup around with you, the Indigo will be far better than the 0404.

I have been using an Indigo for the last few years with all my laptops, currently with a Thinkpad T60, can't be happier with the sound.

W

Users who are viewing this thread

Back