Thinkpad-compatible sound cards?
May 8, 2009 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AmanGeorge

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

I'm sure there is stuff on here that I just haven't found, so I apologize if I'm suffering from "need to search before asking" syndrome, but...

Has anybody upgraded a Thinkpad with a sound card that can output a digital signal through an optical or coaxial connection? Which soundcards are compatible with the Thinkpad and able to do this? I get the sense that it's much easier to upgrade a sound card on a desktop than a laptop, but was curious if it was possible to do this.

Thanks!

May 8, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 6
Express card sound cards do exist (i.e. X-Fi Notebook) but from what I heard they aren't terribally good and as far as I know, it doesn't support SPDIF (Older PCMCIA ones did). I think your best bet is to go USB instead of using the express card slot.

UPDATE: Corection, the X-Fi Extreme Audio Notebook does have optical out so that might be a viable option for you. Just avoid the Sound Blaster X-Fi Notebook (the black one) since there's no mention of it supporting optical out.

However, I don't know how old your thinkpad is. If it still does have PCMCIA then you can read this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/pc...-da100-219868/

Hope that helps a bit.

May 9, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 6
The onboard sound of my ThinkPad is not good at all. It doesn't even drive my Grados as well or as cleanly as my iPod does. I don't use the laptop for listening to music, but if I did, there's no question that I would opt for an outboard FireWire DAC. Although I have not yet heard the DuaFire, for the modest cost, I would still give it a try. If my Mac ever dies (it's getting quite old), I may eventually go that route since I enjoy working on the ThinkPad a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back