Thinking Plague
May 24, 2007 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

asmox

Headphoneus Supremus
So, a while ago I saw a genre tag describing uneXpect as "metal-in-opposition". Led by curiosity, I did a small bit of research and ran head first into the rock-in-opposition thing, or RIO.

Recently got my first album in this style, Thinking Plague's In Extremis, and I fell in love with it from the first few minutes. I love the quirky instrumentation, the disorienting rhythmic work, the dark and uneven feeling that surrounds the music... sort of like an irregular doorway with edges that don't quite meet where they're supposed to. Unobtrusive at surface level, yet rather uncomfortable and "wrong". Yet so right
tongue.gif

What other bands should I be looking into? I've heard Univers Zero, and while I enjoyed that, it just didn't have that twisted feeling to it that I'm loving with Thinking Plague. I've heard good things about bands like 5uu's, U Totem, Tipographica, French TV, The Science Group, and others, but I haven't had a chance to check any of them out.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

May 25, 2007 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the recommendations. That's actually the second time somebody has recommended Alamaailman Vasarat to me, so I'll definitely be checking them out. Also, I have to say that I'm kind of surprised to see so little love for Thinking Plague here... for one reason or another I thought they had a significant following.

Oh well, add another band to the criminally unknown without any logical explanation list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back