Thinking on getting new PC speakers.
Jan 7, 2012 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Odinsreaver

New Head-Fier
Been looking at the KRK and Audioengine, and apparently KRK > Audioengine reading up on reviews.
Wondering if I should set with getting monitor speakers or just getting some bang for the buck with logitech.

That and would I need to buy an amp? That and which series of the KRK is best? Thanks mates.

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 8
It depends what kind of music you like best really. Im a bass heavy person to be honest and I just recently got the KRK R8's for Christmas. I also use them for dubstep/bass heavy music production. They do asbolute wonders. They are so loud, the sub is so deep but it doesnt mud up the mids and highs they stay nice a crisp and you can hear them over the bass at any volume even on some songs where the sub is massive like godzilla I can still hear little synths and blips so crisp over the bass. From what I read before picking mine if you like more acoustic music then get the R6's. The only setback with this is if you care most about mids/treble etc.. and less bass but still listen to music where bass is a must then most people who got the R6's also bought a separate sub.

I'm sure the bass on the r6's alone is pretty heavy but I could only imagine that set up with a nice sub down there as well. (I love bass so much I want to pick up a decent sub for my r8's :p).

So basically it depends on what music you want but I definitely recommend the KRKs over anything in that price. The value is great and very fair, I actually picked up my r8s as an "open-box" version which means they were just used to demo in store and saved 50 bucks each monitor (100 total) so that was nice.

As far as an amp goes, I don't have one, I am looking right now to find one but that's mostly for my cans and IEM's. I will say this, my soundcard in my computer has some really nice built in EQ settings and depending on what I'm listening to I have found the perfect EQ match(as far as presets go) in my soundcard's settings. When I listen to dubstep/bass heavy music I put them to the DnB setting and I would say it improves overall quality by at least 30-40x not even exaggerating. When I set it to acoustic mode or rock when I'm listening to the beatles or any other classic rock (this also works with alternative) it also increases the overall quality by massive amounts.

Sorry I wrote so much just had a lot to say, So overall I definitely recommend the KRKS, whether you want the r8's or r6's it depends on the type of music you like and if you want to spend extra on a sub with the 6's or just get the 8's with no sub at all. Lastly if your computer's soundcard doesn't have nice built in EQ settings then you might want to invest in an amp, it probably doesn't have to be an expensive amp at all, just good enough to tweak around your levels to your liking as that's always better than any default, but it definitely isn't required but highly recommended.

Hope I could help!

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
It depends what kind of music you like best really. Im a bass heavy person to be honest and I just recently got the KRK R8's for Christmas. I also use them for dubstep/bass heavy music production. They do asbolute wonders. They are so loud, the sub is so deep but it doesnt mud up the mids and highs they stay nice a crisp and you can hear them over the bass at any volume even on some songs where the sub is massive like godzilla I can still hear little synths and blips so crisp over the bass. From what I read before picking mine if you like more acoustic music then get the R6's. The only setback with this is if you care most about mids/treble etc.. and less bass but still listen to music where bass is a must then most people who got the R6's also bought a separate sub.

I'm sure the bass on the r6's alone is pretty heavy but I could only imagine that set up with a nice sub down there as well. (I love bass so much I want to pick up a decent sub for my r8's :p).

So basically it depends on what music you want but I definitely recommend the KRKs over anything in that price. The value is great and very fair, I actually picked up my r8s as an "open-box" version which means they were just used to demo in store and saved 50 bucks each monitor (100 total) so that was nice.

As far as an amp goes, I don't have one, I am looking right now to find one but that's mostly for my cans and IEM's. I will say this, my soundcard in my computer has some really nice built in EQ settings and depending on what I'm listening to I have found the perfect EQ match(as far as presets go) in my soundcard's settings. When I listen to dubstep/bass heavy music I put them to the DnB setting and I would say it improves overall quality by at least 30-40x not even exaggerating. When I set it to acoustic mode or rock when I'm listening to the beatles or any other classic rock (this also works with alternative) it also increases the overall quality by massive amounts.

Sorry I wrote so much just had a lot to say, So overall I definitely recommend the KRKS, whether you want the r8's or r6's it depends on the type of music you like and if you want to spend extra on a sub with the 6's or just get the 8's with no sub at all. Lastly if your computer's soundcard doesn't have nice built in EQ settings then you might want to invest in an amp, it probably doesn't have to be an expensive amp at all, just good enough to tweak around your levels to your liking as that's always better than any default, but it definitely isn't required but highly recommended.

Hope I could help!

I love listening to bass as well, but I've heard that the 8's are a bit muddy.I remember the 6's were at about a 400 dollar price tag,and if you're like me loving a kick, any suggestions on a 'woofer for the monitors?

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 8
Yes but I'm saying if you want a save a few hundred then you can get the 8's without a sub. They definitely are not muddy especially after a little EQing. If you don't belive me that's fine but like I said I use this for music production and I can tell exactly where my frequencies are when I'm mixing down a track.

But you say you love bass, bass from dubstep/EDM isn't the same as bass guitar in a rock song, so if you like the big heavy sub bass of EDM then get the 8's if you love the bass from guitars in rock music then get the 6's with a sub.

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 8
I apologize for being vague, I listen to a lot of hardstyle bass and the like. I generally do a lot of gaming or listening to hardstyle when I have the time at home. And if you're looking for an amp for your cans, do you use it at home or a portable one?

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 8
Hmm my hardstyle listening has really gone down so I can't say exactly for it but I have played a few hardstyle tracks through the r8's. From the small amount I did, what I gathered is that since all of the bass in hardstyle is really just from a kick, so the bass isn't constant or ongoing so to speak, it really shouldn't mud up all the nice highs coming from the hardstyle sounds.

as far as amping goes I just posted a big thread about upgrading to new cans with a new amp set up so I really couldn't tell you exactly what I need right now, it probably won't be portable though.

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 8
Oh? Nice mate, which cans were you thinking on getting? My budget right now only limits me to upgrading my sound system, my other hobbies expenses calls.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back