Thinking of using Ubuntu.
Jan 29, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #31 of 46
Thanks much for this thread, guys!

I run Kubuntu exclusively on both my laptop (edgy) and my desktop (dapper). I was thinking about getting a Total Bithead, and now I don't feel so hesitant. At least not about it's compatibility with Linux. Now, I just have to get over that darned price hump.
tongue.gif

Thaks again!

nrwilk

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by nrwilk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks much for this thread, guys!

I run Kubuntu exclusively on both my laptop (edgy) and my desktop (dapper). I was thinking about getting a Total Bithead, and now I don't feel so hesitant. At least not about it's compatibility with Linux. Now, I just have to get over that darned price hump.
tongue.gif

Thaks again!

nrwilk

Enjoy your BitHead! They're totally worth the 200 dollars.

Jan 30, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Enjoy your BitHead! They're totally worth the 200 dollars.

Thank you. I think I'm just going to spring for it and get it. My problem is that Headroom lists its availability as "2 to 4 weeks." That sucks.

frown.gif

Seems like people around here snatch them up out of the sale forums very quickly too.

I'll just have to wait, I guess.

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #34 of 46
I have two linux-related questions:

1) What sound server is recommended with Ubuntu (I'm running K Ubuntu Edgy with Amarok-xine)? Everything is working, so I've been a little hesitant to start fiddling around, but i'm getting tired of conflicts between sound from my browser and my music from Amarok.

2) When I load a playlist in Amarok, the last song on the playlist is clipped (the final few seconds). This is kind of annoying. Do I have something set improperly, or is this an Amarok issue?

Thank you for your help!

Feb 2, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #35 of 46
@asdf

1) go into you kcontrol panel (it's much better than the OS X-style control panel located in the kmenu. To open kcontrol, just open a Konsole, and type kcontrol, pressing enter afterwards. Once there, expand the "Sound & Multimedia" section. Now select the "Sound System" section. at the bottom of the Sound System section, there is a content box labeled Auto-Suspend. Inside this content box there will be a checkbox and a slider. Toggle the checkbox so that there is a check in it, and slide the slider ALL the way to the left so that it's value is 0 (zero). Now hit apply. You should get a little dialog box telling you that the sound system is being restarted. Close kcontrol. After this, test Amarok and your browser together. They should play nicely together now. You do not have to restart the machine.

What happens is that KDE takes control of the sound system, and will not let go of it for a certain amount of time. You just set that amount of time to zero. So, KDE will let other programs control the sound system simultaneously.

You should not have to change the sound system that you are using.

2) I also use Amarok with the xine engine, but I have not had this problem. Sorry!

I hope #1 helps you, though.

Feb 2, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

@asdf

1) go into you kcontrol panel (it's much better than the OS X-style control panel located in the kmenu. To open kcontrol, just open a Konsole, and type kcontrol, pressing enter afterwards. Once there, expand the "Sound & Multimedia" section. Now select the "Sound System" section. at the bottom of the Sound System section, there is a content box labeled Auto-Suspend. Inside this content box there will be a checkbox and a slider. Toggle the checkbox so that there is a check in it, and slide the slider ALL the way to the left so that it's value is 0 (zero). Now hit apply. You should get a little dialog box telling you that the sound system is being restarted. Close kcontrol. After this, test Amarok and your browser together. They should play nicely together now. You do not have to restart the machine.

What happens is that KDE takes control of the sound system, and will not let go of it for a certain amount of time. You just set that amount of time to zero. So, KDE will let other programs control the sound system simultaneously.

You should not have to change the sound system that you are using.

2) I also use Amarok with the xine engine, but I have not had this problem. Sorry!

I hope #1 helps you, though.

Wahoo! I thought I was going to have to install Jack and spend several hours getting it working. Thank you for saving me from myself!

As for issue number 2, it's good to know that it's simply something I'm doing wrong as opposed to a bug in the software. There has to be a setting that I've toggled (or something). Time to explore some more.

Thanks again.

--asdf

Feb 2, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wahoo! Thank you for saving me from myself!

You're definitely welcome.
580smile.gif

I love Kubuntu, and I hope it serves you as well as it does me.

Feb 2, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #38 of 46
I just moved to Ubuntu partially because using Linux is essential for my desired major (Computer Science Engineering). I have a 17,000 collection from an external USB drive in a SATA enclosure (500 gig). My sound card is, as in the sig, an M-Audio Transit.

After trying just about every media player, I am VERY, VERY impressed with Amarok. It has taken me forever to get the database working properly. But once it is, it is very nice. I deman replaygain and this thing has a powerful scripting system that has it. Also, it supports FLAC, MP3, AAC/MP4, and OGG out of the box.

My favorite feature though is the sidebar. It recommends you songs, albums, and artists based on what you are listening to. Also, the wikipedia panel for the current artist is so freaking cool.

Finally, magnatude.com (part of Amarok, built into a panel) is straight AWESOME. Think iTunes music store, but no buying. Only streaming I believe, but you can listen to all kinds of music free and legally. And not just a song or two, these are full albums people.

Feb 2, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #39 of 46
dual booting kunbuntu edgy 6.10 build. Xgl is teh hot sex...kde>gnome btw.

Feb 2, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kde>gnome btw.

Not that I disagree (I like KDE better too) but, it really is a matter of opinion. There are many people who would rather use Gnome. They are just different.

This is a good read for more on this topic.

And, yes. XGL is cool. But Beryl is AWESOME!

Feb 2, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #41 of 46
I used Kubuntu 6.06 LTS but got turned off by the blatantly excessive security functionality (constantly logging in as root to do just about anything). I encountered a lot of trouble doing what I wanted to do because of this, so for a three-month interim I used Windows and ignored my Kubuntu partition.

Now, I'm using SuSe 10.2 in KDE and couldn't be happier. It's everything I liked about Kubuntu minus everything I hated.
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #42 of 46
@3X0

That's interesting. Before I settled on Kubuntu I ran many distros, including SuSE 10. But, I never found anything I liked enough to stick with until I found Kubuntu. I guess that's just different people for you. It's really one of the best things about the FLOSS philosophy. If one person wants to use some software, but currently doesn't like the way it works, they just take it and modify it to work better for themselves. This is why there are so many distros out there. It's nice to have a wide variety of choices.

I also very much like Mepis too. It's a close second to Kubuntu for me.

Feb 3, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #43 of 46
beryl is sweet. so much better the compiz. So many people see xgl and think "superfluous eye candy" but when your videos and windows don't lag and there is pretty much zero cpu usage because the gpu is doing all the rendering I celebrate.

Though kde>gnome I do appreciate how gnome and unbuntu have converted alot of people to linux.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

I did that and seem to have lost all sound from Flash and Realplayer. Changing it back didn't help. I suspect that it's a symptom of something else as my system is still messed up generally after issues adding a graphics card. I'll have to take a look at the config files and try to figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back