Thinking of Upsizing
Apr 8, 2009 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

PowerPod

New Head-Fier
I was hoping I might be able to get some advice on a decent headphone setup for... my iPod. OK, so the source isn't reference quality but I carry all my music around with me which I mostly listen to at work to close myself off and focus.

Most of the time I will listen to Modern Lounge which is essentially Alternative/Electronica/Dance compilations e.g. OM Lounge, Cafe Mambo etc., some LTJ Bukhem, New Order etc (you get the picture) On occasions I'll also listen to some Bach and Vivaldi or to keep it simple, anything with some harpsichord
smily_headphones1.gif

Generally I will listen to an album or double and stop for a meeting or call etc. Sometimes my phone rings (red flashing light) and I have to stop (this will make sense later).

For the past 6 or 7 years I have been using my Etymotic ER-4Ps with Comply canal tips which I discovered weeks after getting them because the tips supplied killed my ears and had no chance of sealing properly. Then I bought a second set of narrow canal tips as I discovered I had narrow canals.

The Etymotics have good detail and have served me well however they lack 'atmosphere', the build-up of wax on the tips is a pain and constant insertion and removal and the discomfort from prolonged wearing is really beginning to bother me as I am using them more now as 'closing off’ really helps me focus.

I recently tried out some (dare I even mention the name) Bose QC2s to get an idea of the feel for sealed over the ear headphones. My impressions were I did get pretty decent isolation, more bass, sound detail sucked (of course) and they did begin to get a bit sweaty after a while. The build quality was absolutely dreadful as well. Oh and I was accused of looking like a Cyberman... hmmm.

Now the question; should I keep what I have and add some improvements or should I consider switching to over the ear style headphones. Here are my choices as I see them:

1. Keep what I have and consider one or all of the following:
a) Add an ER-4P - ER-4S 75ohm adaptor cable
b) Add a Xin Reference portable amp
c) Get Ear moulds fitted
d) $460 - $500 including cables etc.
q) Is it still going to be a pain with ear moulds to insert and remove regularly and money wasted?

2. Ditch the ER-4Ps and put them to alternative use and get open, over the ear cans
a) Add a Xin Reference portable amp if required more $$$
q) Will I disturb others near me?
q) Recommendations?
q) Do I need an amp?

3. Ditch the ER-4Ps and put them to alternative use and get over the ear sealed cans
a) The Denon AH-D2000 might be a match and build looks good on the band
b) Needs an amp – Xin Reference portable amp = more $$$
c) Consider similar cans that don’t need an amp even at another $200+ more
d) $650 – $700 including cables etc.
q) Recommendations?

4. Ditch the ER-4Ps and get some alternative in ear monitors (not sure)
a) Get ear moulds fitted
b) Consider something like the Sure SE310 or SE530
c) $450 - $700 including cables etc. – no amp
q) Do I really need an amp?
q) Is this worth spending all that money on when the Etymotics are not terrible but still uncomfortable and a pain to remove/insert?

Appreciate any suggestions/answers!

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 19
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember reading that the Xin build times are very long. May want to look for something a bit faster.

Personally I'd go with 3. Closed really is a plus when going portable.
D2000 is one headphone that'd interest me, but FWIR I don't think it's build quality really makes it suitable for portable use. Unless you are very carefull.
You could also look at the ESW9/10, maybe A2000x (all audiotechnica). Or Senn HD25-I (with recable?)

for 2)
I have used a Grado SR125 portable with great pleasure, no isolation whatsoever so others where disturbed. Problem in public transit but walking the streets it's not so bad. Could also look at SR225/RS2 (SR325i is a bit too heavy to be portable).
It liked an amp.

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 19
Get an audio technica esw10. they don't need an amp (although they'll benefit from one), sound fantastic and are portable and closed.

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 19
To clarify. The player is portable but the intention is to leave the headphones at work and possibly bring them home on the weekends. The Bose (oops, said it again) headphones come with semi-hard carry cases making portability that much easier for those occasions.

As I have had the Etymotics for 7 years I don't have to commit tomorrow so waiting for a Xin amp is feasible though any idea on current wait times???

Also if the headphones work OK'ish without an amp I can wait for the order to be fulfilled. If there is something out there that doesn't need an amp at all I can use the extra $280 plus shipping for something a little better - in my case build quality is an important factor as well as audio.

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for 2)
I have used a Grado SR125 portable with great pleasure, no isolation whatsoever so others where disturbed. Problem in public transit but walking the streets it's not so bad. Could also look at SR225/RS2 (SR325i is a bit too heavy to be portable).
It liked an amp.

Interestingly, adding an amp to the cost to the SR325i comes close to the RS1i. Apparently they work well unamped but I guess will also further benefit from one too. One of my colleagues has the SR60s and they play well at low volume which I am guessing I will need to do to not to disturb my neighbors! Low volume is good for my ears though. Hmmm.

The ESW10s look interesting and got me looking at the more solid looking ATH-W1000s as well - very similar in looks to the Denons but they have been rated below the Denons at the HeadRoom store.

I am beginning to realise I am being heavily swayed by build quality
frown.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerPod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am beginning to realise I am being heavily swayed by build quality
frown.gif

If you want build quality and good sq unamped, take a look at the ultrasone hfi680 or 780. Better still, one of the ALO modded hfi780s frequently for sale at the FS forum. They are sturdy, don't need amping (although they do benefit from it) and are generally speaking very good allround portable headphones.

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want build quality and good sq unamped, take a look at the ultrasone hfi680 or 780.

Couldn't help looking at the Ultrasone Edition 9 too; now we are talking but just too much for my pocket :frowning2: They are actually looking cheaper in the UK at around $1250.

Back to the 780s; how do these compare with the PRO 900s?

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #8 of 19
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

OK, these Ultrasones fold up really nicely, I see the point on portability and the 780 come in at a really nice price and the (less attractive) Pro line come with a hard case too! Take a look at the catalogue, I love the way these fold up.

http://www.ultrasone.com/anhaenge/so...ge/english.pdf

I will park these next to the D2000s for the time being as current options as I trawl through the literally thousands of threads on this forum over the long weekend.

For me a big problem I see with the high end phones is you reach a point of diminishing returns on cost and value, the Edition 9s appear to have plastic construction on the headband which is somewhat dissapointing for me - not that I am willing to part with all that $$$... well; no stop! I am sure they sound great too... now the Edition 8s however are all metal... and don't fold though these are really compact and I am sure they will fit (my head) snugly - dream on, I bet they will be more $$$.

Quality-wise the Denons do seem to get better right up to the D7000 with their better sealing and a beautiful finish though the D5000s on the other hand don't really place themselves anywhere from what I have been able to tell so far in my reading; better cable and wood housing. The D7000 have modified drivers - guess these really need amping adding more $$$ to the final number; they are also appear bigger than the Ultrasones.

Ahhh, those Ultrasones are so compact... and horribly expensive as you move up to the top and the Edition 8s have such an awesone build. I always seem to gravitate towards the unobtainable
frown.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First Choice= 3 a,b

Sense tells me this is the route to consider but the Ultrasone portability and size is beginning to win me over though (from the photos) its not until I get to the Edition 9 or Edition 8 do I approach some really decent build quality and of course the sound should improve to some extent but I doubt in proportion to price
frown.gif

I need to talk myself out of wanting the Edition 8 - this could potentially be money badly spent... but what if I don't need an amp - its still to many $$$.

These are looking like just the right size and build quality - oh no
frown.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #11 of 19
My Pro 900's were very close to my Denon 5K's and the price is similar. The one thing I did not like about the Ultrasones, was the " Breaking Glass" highs as I like to call them. The Denons simply have more of everything and are easily and cheaply modded to surpass the 900's and approach the Bass control and Mid enhancement of the Denon 7K's.( my go to cans right now)
If I had it to over again, I would keep the 5K's and do the "Dynamat" modification part of the infamous "markl Mod", as I don't feel the price upgrade to the 7K's was worth it. But I would not go back to the 900's. They do fold up but it's not as convenient as it seem because of the cable. It fits nicely in it's carrying case buit still not that much more portable than the Denons.

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

If I had it to over again, I would keep the 5K's and do the "Dynamat" modification part of the infamous "markl Mod", as I don't feel the price upgrade to the 7K's was worth it. But I would not go back to the 900's. They do fold up but it's not as convenient as it seem because of the cable. It fits nicely in it's carrying case buit still not that much more portable than the Denons.

Awesome feedback - right on the same lines as my current thoughts.

Despite my cravings, the D7000 and the Edition 8 are insanely expensive - not needing an amp for the Edition 8s make them marginally more attractive as is the more compact oval shaped covering. An amp could be purchased at a later date but the D7000s won't let me do that so maybe D5000 or D2000 as my budget is not limitless
frown.gif

The Denons seem like a sound buy so far - I don't have too much on the Edition 8 sound and again; insanely expensive.

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #13 of 19
The ED8's are really sweet looking but i'll definitely wait for reviews. I highly recommend the 5K's as the Denon "Sweet Spot". They already have the four wire OFC cable ( easily re-terminated for Balanced mod later if wanted), and the woodies, (The two most expensive parts of the 2K mods). All they need is the dynamat and your done!

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

The ED8's are really sweet looking but i'll definitely wait for reviews.

Yes, I'll be trawling for some over the long weekend on the betas/evaluation units.

Quote:

I highly recommend the 5K's as the Denon "Sweet Spot". They already have the four wire OFC cable ( easily re-terminated for Balanced mod later if wanted), and the woodies, (The two most expensive parts of the 2K mods). All they need is the dynamat and your done!

I am tempted but it will probably be a 2 month or more wait on the Xin Reference amp :frowning2: I will assume the D5000s are terrible on a portable, unamped.

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #15 of 19
I'm loving my 7K's right off of my Ipod as we type. I shortened the cable with a mini XLR 4 pin to 3.5 adapter so I can run the Ipod right out of my shirt pocket without tripping over the cable. but we better stop hyjacking the thread. I have pics of the cable mod in the DIY cable, and Denon threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back