Thinking of upgrading from UE SF5p to SE530... opinions?
Jan 19, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #16 of 34
To me it sounds like you have already decided to go for the upgrade and just want reasons not to, so go for it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #18 of 34
This seems like a better place to ask rather than making the thread I was thinking about.

I've had my triple.fi's for over a year but I'm getting itchy ears - I'm tempted to give the SE530's a go after hearing so much positive stuff about them. I love the TF10's and have no real problems with them aside from they look a bit silly and the isolation isn't exceptional, but, well upgraditis and all that.

What are the most significant differences between the two, sound-wise, other than the 530's "rolled off highs" I've heard about (which wouldn't really bother me as I tend to really hate sibilance)? Has anyone picked the SE530 over the TF10s after hearing both? Or the other way around?

edit; forgot what I was going to originally post - to the OP I went from the Super.fi's up the the TF10 pros and there was a huge difference. I wouldn't rule them out.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackerman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This seems like a better place to ask rather than making the thread I was thinking about.

I've had my triple.fi's for over a year but I'm getting itchy ears - I'm tempted to give the SE530's a go after hearing so much positive stuff about them. I love the TF10's and have no real problems with them aside from they look a bit silly and the isolation isn't exceptional, but, well upgraditis and all that.

What are the most significant differences between the two, sound-wise, other than the 530's "rolled off highs" I've heard about (which wouldn't really bother me as I tend to really hate sibilance)? Has anyone picked the SE530 over the TF10s after hearing both? Or the other way around?

edit; forgot what I was going to originally post - to the OP I went from the Super.fi's up the the TF10 pros and there was a huge difference. I wouldn't rule them out.

i have them both and 530 are better, sharper cleaner mids are just wonderful and the bass is the best ive ever heard, not saying the t.fi 10 are bad or that there is a huge difference between them but for me the 530 are clearly better

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #20 of 34
Dang, I thought I'd gotten away scott free when I decided not to try out the W3's and then this mysterious curiosity about the 530s appeared out of nowhere. Still, at least I'll be able to compare them both properly then sell whichever.

How is the durability of the 530's? I've read quite a few posts about people having trouble with cables splitting and such. One of the things that swayed me to the TF10s was the replaceable cable and they've turned out to be pretty sturdy as well.

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #21 of 34
Super-Fi 5 Pro to Shure SE530 is exactly the same route I took and I think it might be the perfect route for you.

I love my Shures - they are more detailed, balanced and refined than the UE's, not to mention in a whole other league for comfort. The only thing I miss is about my Super-Fi's was the 'party in my head' factor - this things were sooo much fun to listen to and I never really got that with the Shures.

So, if you've got a pair of 5EB's that you're keeping than you can have the best of both worlds depending on how the mood takes you - detail & refinement or Paaarty!

I've just got a new set of SE530's through under warranty replacement which I haven't opened. I'm considering e-baying them just so I can try another one of the phones at this range and the IE8 sound like a lot of fun. As I say I love my Shures but I want the party back.

Have fun deciding
L3000.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #22 of 34
I'm in a similar situation here... I recently ruined my Shure e4c's in a cup of coffee and am wanting to take a step up... The 530's seem to be a logical choice since I've been happy with the sound and fit of Shure, but I'm curious to try a different brand for a change of pace.

The Super-fi 5 Pro's, Klipsch Images and W3's look interesting, but I wish there was a better way to "try them out" for personal compatibility rather than buying them and going through the hassles of returning canal phones, especially when there is no local retailer.

I travel a lot and canal phones that are comfortable with excellent sound isolation are key to me maintaining what bit of my sanity that i have left.

I definitely don't want a canal phone that "requires" an amp (iPod 5G, iPhone 3G and MBP laptop) and I seriously doubt I'm going to re-rip my library to a lossless format (everything is 192-256kbps AAC now).

I see that the 530's can be bought on Amazon for $314.95 from what appears to be a reputable Amazon merchant (Z Electrica)... is this too good to be true?

Jan 19, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #23 of 34
First the 530's are so comfy no contest. The 530's really shine with a dap with a custom EQ like a sansa clip or fuze. Here is the thing if i were to use an apple device and running a flat EQ then you may like the triple fi's a tad better. The triples will have a tad more sparkle. My choice is the 530's with the clip with just a couple bumps of EQ make it sound incerdable the bass and the mids are outstanding a real pleasure to listen to. Good luck.

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #24 of 34
Several members here have replaced their SE530 with Westone 3's.
You should be able to get a good deal on a used pair, if you keep an eye out - they don't last long.

If you don't find a used pair at a good price, PM me - I've got a pair just sitting here now, but am too lazy to post for sale.

If you're going to buy new, suggest you consider the W3's.

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #25 of 34
some people here view the w3's as being a better overall hp than the se530's. but the shure's do have amazing mids =)

all the iem's mentioned are great and you can't go wrong with any of them. its a matter of much you love the strengths of each and how much you can tolerate their individual weaknesses.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #27 of 34
I've been messing around with the EQ in Itunes with my se530's and you can indeed quite easily get them to sparkle all you want. Bump the 16hz up a notch and the things get the treble detail of the W3 but retain the amazing mids and balanced bass.

I then find my ears getting a little fatigued after a while, so I can definitely see why Shure tuned them the way they did. Very comfortable sound.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
U cant fix rolled-off high with EQ. It's not same as recessed high.

Sure you can. They are only "rolled off" by the Shure engineers that designed the sound signature, the physical balanced armatures themselves can easily be coaxed via frequency emphasizing to reproduce the sound however you prefer.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #30 of 34
The "rolled off highs" I keep hearing about are actually one of the things thats been tempting me towards the 530s. ANY kind of sibilance or emphasis on the high-end sets my teeth right on edge, and as much as I love the TF10s they do have this problem with some music, although its pretty rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back