Thinking of the SA5000s.
Oct 18, 2005 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Hey_Its_Cole

100+ Head-Fier
I have A900s and beyer DTS 770/80s, I am thinking of trying the SA5000s, I do not have a amp, but I am thinking of purchasing a Gilmore lite or something similar around christmas. Is this phone a good direction to head in if i like both the a900s and the 770s? I know they are low inpedence phones but will there be a great difference in quality with the sa5000 vs. a900s unamped? How is the comfort on these phones. Is there something else you would try first if you where me? I will be useing an audigy 2 zs as a source and as soon as the xp64 drivers for the xfi are released it will replace the ZS. Is that a good enough source to run ampless for a little while? This hobby is to addicting, in a way i wish i had never bought headphones lol
580smile.gif
, well my bank acount wishes i hadnt

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 13
No way you will. I don't know about the A900's since I can't remember what they sound like, but I own the W1000's and SA5k's and I really love both. If the A900's sound even close to the W1000's you definatly will love the SA5k's.

-Alex-

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 13
Oh dear, you just spent more money than you think! The SA5K is a real grower. Get ready to start thinkin' DAC. Good to see you're already thinkin' amp.

Anybody who has owned a fat dog knows what the SA5K is. It will voraciously consume any meal placed in the signal chain before it then come whining at master's leg for more.

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 13
I think you're on the right track with the Gilmore Lite. It was my first amp and a damn good one. Many have owned it so it makes a good reference point. Plus the resell is excellent. Buy one used and sell used, and you're out of very little money.

If it were me, I would get an amp first.

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 13
I suggest source first or a tube amp instead of the Lite. The Gilmore Lite did not suit my SA5000s well when I had them (nor did the GS-1, the GLite's bigger brother).

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 13
What great cans the SA5K's are. Amazing detail, to say the least.

I believe that to get the best out of them, you should consider an amp that warms them up a bit. They are hungry for a good source and amp combo. You surely can drive them without an amp, but you would be better off with a good synergistic combo, IMHO.

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
IMO the Gilmore Lite fits the SA5K's fine. Both Akwok's suggestion and mine are subjective as is everything in audio.
wink.gif

580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back