Thinking of the Pioneer DV-79avi
Dec 31, 2005 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Canman

Headphoneus Supremus
After selling the Meridian I am in a bit of a void for a good source. I am strongly considering getting a Pioneer DV-79avi universal player so that I have a good DVD player with HDMI outs for an as yet unpurchased HDTV monitor. I am attracted to the DV-79avi because I have seen the excellent picture of the previous DV-59avi and think its possible that the audio quality may be good enough to enjoy with out a separate DAC. The unit could also double as a good transport.

A B&M store in the area has them in stock for about $850 but won't put one on display until it sells its stock of the DV-59avi. So I can't test it yet.

I guess the smart thing to do is wait to see if any news is unveiled at CES in January. Meanwhile, has anyone tried out this new Pioneer yet?

Dec 31, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 10
For dvd playback I would highly recommend the denon 3910 or 5910. If you are familiar with the hometheaterhifi.com dvd benchmarks the denons performer much better than the pioneers do. Not sure if they've tested the 79avi yet but the 59avi fails many tests that much less expensive players manage to pass. Just something you might want to consider.

Jan 1, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 10
I would say that you should wait until Kris Deering posts his Secrets benchmark results. I agree with TKAM in that the Denon DVD 3910 would be a better buy in terms significantly better DVD-Video performance. If you can afford the Denon DVD 5910, then that is the way to go, but with HD-DVD and SONY Blu-Ray on the horizon for next year, I would be hesitant to invest $3500 USD for a standard definition DVD-Video player today. The Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi is reported to have significantly better sound quality than the 59AVi due to better engineering and design plus the Air Studio tuning along with a beefier chassis. I have not yet auditioned it myself. Personally, I think it is better to get a Denon DVD 3910 for a bit more money as it strikes a nice balance between features, price, and audio/video performance. Other alternatives are the new Marantz DV-9600 too.

Feb 5, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 10
Anyone tried out dv59 and dv79?
When I looked at the internet pricing, they're only $100 apart from each other. I don't know if dv79 is worth extra $100.

I really want denon dvd3910 but they're over 1100 dollars. I rather spend around $650-750 range as I have to buy other stuffs. I need to save as much as possible.

Most likely I'll be getting sharp aquos 37" lcd tv along with the new universal player. I watch lots of movies and listen mucho musica.

Feb 5, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 10
Flyers dude>Is dvd-a or sacd really essential to your needs? You could just get a cheapo dvd player and use the money for maybe a cdp? Or you could all splash it on the dvd player it's your call.

You use to have a meridian g08?

Feb 5, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 10
Stay away from the Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi! Get the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi.

Read these threads and this website:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=578758
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=638391
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...Player%20(HDMI)

The Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi is nearly identical to the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi, except it has slightly higher build quality due to the lowering of the transport mechanism and the audio tuning from AirStudios, but the rest of the internals are very similiar. However, the proprietary de-interlacer is highly flawed as proven by Kris Deering's Secrets benchmark test results.

As an owner of the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi, I recommend sticking to it for high end DVD-Video performance and good sound performance for Red Book CD, DVD-Audio, and Super Audio CD formats. In my humble opinion, the Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi is a huge step backwards in terms of DVD-Video performance.

Beware!

Feb 5, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19

I wish...
Quote:

Originally Posted by WellyWu
Stay away from the Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi! Get the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi.

I'll be reading those avs forum scriptures thoroughly. Thanks. So my understanding is that the DV79 betters in audio performance, but suffers in video performance. Right?

Does the DV59 play burned cd and dvds?

Feb 5, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Flyers dude>Is dvd-a or sacd really essential to your needs? You could just get a cheapo dvd player and use the money for maybe a cdp? Or you could all splash it on the dvd player it's your call.

I sold the G08. I don't need DVD-A or SACD, so I will probably get the Denon 2910 or 3910 for DVD Video. I have yet to get my HD monitor, so I am in no rush. (I can't get HD for a few months yet since my building is being rewired by Comcast)

Feb 6, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
I wish...

I'll be reading those avs forum scriptures thoroughly. Thanks. So my understanding is that the DV79 betters in audio performance, but suffers in video performance. Right?

Does the DV59 play burned cd and dvds?

Yes, my Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi will play CD-R/RW and both DVD +/- R/RW discs flawlessly. It also plays DVD+R DL discs too.

The Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi does sound a bit more open and clearer due to the redesigned chassis so to speak and the AirStudio tuning, but it is more of a non-linear improvement. What I mean is that you have to listen for the sonic differences, but they are there. DVD-Video performance is shockingly poor and the Secrets benchmark results bear this out.

I still do not recommend getting the Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi.

Feb 7, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanks welly.

I think I'll just go for the dv59avi for the time being. The hd-dvd and blu-ray are right around the corner. Really no point for me to splurge on a tight budget.

Canman, If I had extra green I'd go for the denon dvd3910.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back