Thinking of switching. . .
Nov 3, 2003 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
I've been a Sennheiser fan for the last 2 and a half years. Perhaps its time for a change? With a headphone change, I think an amp change would be warranted as well. I currently have an MG Head OTL - H with upgraded tubes and a Meta42. Would selling the Sennheisers and getting Ety's be a good move? Don't get me wrong: I love my sennheisers, but perhaps I would benefit from a change. The fact that college is coming quite quickly and some isolation would be helpful is also a factor. What do you guys think? A certain member suggested the Ety/Gilmore combo. Is it worthy?

Nov 3, 2003 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 23
How much do you want for your hd580s ?
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 23
If you're going to college, you should definitely get Etys. When you're trying to study in a noisy library, or work in a noisy lab, or deal with an annoying roommate or neighbor, there's nothing better than putting on a pair of Etys and feeling the world disappear. They reduce your stress level significantly.

IMHO, Ety 4S and the MG Head are one of the finest combinations you'll find anywhere. And I've tried a lot. Haven't heard the Gilmore, but from comments posted by others (Tuberoller, Sean H) it seems to have a typical (though extremely refined) solid state sound. I think you'd prefer the Etys with the MG Head. The combination is truly awesome and magical.

Nov 3, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 23
From my experiences, I think the combo you've got with the HD-580 and MG Head (with upgraded tubes) is a great combination... There's just some awesome tonal, warm quality to it. Although the resolution could be clear and faster, but that would require you to upgrade to a much better tube amp.

Like the suggestion above, the Gilmore is a very refined, but definitely "solid state" sound, it doesn't have the same tonal warmth as the MG Head with upgraded tubes. If you like the sound signature you've got now, especially the warmth, you might find the Gilmore disappointing. However, Gilmore is very versatile, and very "punchy"... If you've got some headphone more geared towards rock/upbeat stuffs (CD3000, Shure E5c, Grado SR225), the Gilmore is a great fit with those headphones.

Now, with all that said, I'm not sure what you would "gain" if you were to move to an Ety. You would definitely get better isolation for the college environment, studying in cafe, library and what nots... but otherwise, I'm not so sure Ety ER-4P/S would give you a much better sound than what you've already got now.

Some people can have a preference for the Ety sound, but personally I don't think the presentation and the response of the ER-4P/S varies that much from the HD-580... and the comfort factor definitely weighs in heavy favor of the HD-580.

If you were lookin' for roughly the same type of sound in a different form factor, then I think the Ety ER-4P/S is a good fit. If you were looking for more excitement, something "different".. I think you should look into some other options.

Perhaps trying out a Grado, or an Audio Technica... I've tried the Grado SR225 before, and found them extremely response and exciting. However, the comfort factor made me decide to pretty much, never, get one (and they're a bit too intense for a long session). I've got a Audio Technica A900 on the way.. should be here in another week or two...

Nov 3, 2003 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 23
I would hold off on selling the senns until you made sure you like the etys. They'll go very well with your ipod btw. My ER-4S go well with a META42.

MastersVoice.jpg

Nov 3, 2003 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 23
Don't know about the Gilmore/Ety combo but if you like the lush/warm sound of the Senns/MG Head, I'm gonna GUESS, that your not going to like the Ety/Head combo. I've tried the Head-H with a couple low impedence phones (Sony V6, Ety 4p), and never liked the sound as compared to my HD600s.

Nov 3, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 23
I agree with Fractus2 that you should hold off selling the Senns until you get the opportunity to break in the Etys.

I use to own a pair of 580 and now have the Ety 4S. While they are both execellent phones, they have different sonic charateristics. THe 580s is more "laid back" and gives a better sense of space (probably because of its open air design). The Etys is a bit more closed in and "aggressive."

Of course, if background noise is a large factor in your decision, then the Etys would be a better choice.

But, is there any reason why you can't keep BOTH the Etys and the 580s?
biggrin.gif

Good Luck!

Nov 4, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
Some people can have a preference for the Ety sound, but personally I don't think the presentation and the response of the ER-4P/S varies that much from the HD-580...

it varies [size=large]that[/size] much.
big cheaf say: "don't sell senns before get ety's"

isolation is great, i lose about %40 of my grip of reality. that way the "visions" of the street are just artistic slaves to the music
biggrin.gif

Quote:

and the comfort factor definitely weighs in heavy favor of the HD-580.

i find trimmed foamies addicting. try to think: "a baby with a candy in his.."
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 23
Because many people find the Ety uncomfortable (especially for extended listening) I would join the chorus strongly cautioning you to try the Ety before selling your old headphone.

Nov 4, 2003 at 5:58 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
Because many people find the Ety uncomfortable (especially for extended listening) I would join the chorus strongly cautioning you to try the Ety before selling your old headphone.

Definitely. Heck, I have Etys and HD-580s and both get plenty use
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2003 at 7:46 AM Post #12 of 23
Gilmore/ety combo is pretty nice, that's actually the cans i got the gilmore for. I ended up disliking gilmore w/ cd3000 though.

One thing to note about etys... they get uncomfortable after wearing t hem for an hour or 2. Studying, commuting abroad might be one thing, but in the dorm room, regular cans are much more comfortable. I wore etys for a year and a half or so, i found that when im sitting somewhere and don't need the isolation they are great. Also, when the music is playing, i don't think the total isolation really matters anymore.

Etys have their time and place though. I loved them on the train : ]

Nov 4, 2003 at 1:03 PM Post #13 of 23
Actually, I have heard ety's before only briefly. That was at a time when I was a relatively new head-fi newbie, and I couldn't really appreciate them for what they were. Your comments have really sort of put me off getting etys for a bit. Hmmm.

Nov 4, 2003 at 1:43 PM Post #14 of 23
YES, SWITCH TO THE ETY ER-4P'S AND P TO S ADAPTER!

With an iPod, Headsave Transit/Ultra, and ER-4S, you will never, ever want to go back to any other set-up... You will achieve audio nirvana and will get lost in the music, the amp and earphone set-up above is just about the best you can get for under $500.00, and it competes with rigs that other people spent thousands of dollars on...

Don't waste your time, get the Ety's as quickly as you can.
Don't you want to have the best audio in the business?
And, above all, amazing isolation and a true musical experience?

BANGPOD

Nov 4, 2003 at 2:03 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by BANGPOD
YES, SWITCH TO THE ETY ER-4P'S AND P TO S ADAPTER!

With an iPod, Headsave Transit/Ultra, and ER-4S, you will never, ever want to go back to any other set-up... You will achieve audio nirvana and will get lost in the music, the amp and earphone set-up above is just about the best you can get for under $500.00, and it competes with rigs that other people spent thousands of dollars on...

Don't waste your time, get the Ety's as quickly as you can.
Don't you want to have the best audio in the business?
And, above all, amazing isolation and a true musical experience?

BANGPOD

i think many others would disagree. i run my ety's from much better source and amp and still, they are audio nirvana when their presentation fits the musical content and recording type, but not always.
what was your previous setup, if i may ask?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back