Thinking of switching from RS-1's to e500's?
Jul 12, 2006 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

shawntp

100+ Head-Fier
Hey folks ...I have a set of Grado RS-1's with an RA-1 that I really do like but they are not getting too much usage these days. I am always on the go / here / there / etc and find that I enjoy the time I get with them but at this point in my life I am not very likly to sit down and listen to a dedicated music headphone system.

I bought these for really cheap used so if I unload I am sure I won't lose money and am not concerned about that. I also am sure if I resell these I could grab the new Shure e500's or some other micro-headphone that I could use on the go.

Anyone make a similar transition? Sounds like the Shures will have a different sound but everyone seemed pretty excited. I am not exactly dead set on any specific sound signature ...I just want to load up lossless music on an ipod these days and go but have a nice detailed musical sound.

Jul 12, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 3
Have you ever used IEMs before? If not, then you might not want to go straight to the top without giving IEMs (in general) a try. IEMs are in a different league than headphones and there's almost zero soundstage. I had the e3c's for over a year and thought they were the greatest thing until I got the Beyer DT880. Since then, I've not used the e3c's unless I'm at a starbucks or out somewhere. It's a valid reason if you're never going to be home to switch to IEMs... I'm thinking of getting the e500 too, but never once have I thought about selling my DT880 for them. And in your case, the RS-1 is not some cheapo $50 headphones, and plus its amped properly with teh RA-1. So giving that up for IEM might be a bitter pill to swallow. Hope this helps.

Jul 12, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 3
I'm actually thinking about making a similar transition. Due to some financial concerns I'm looking at downgrading my setup to a decent portable rig. I was lucky enough to get a somewhat extended audtion of the E500's and I personally felt that while they obviously sound different they were roughly in the same league as the RS-1's. Sonically I liked the RS-1's a bit more but for me the E500's run a close second (of all the headphones I've heard) and the E500's ease of use and versatility makes them actually come out ahead of the game for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back