Thinking of returning my Etymotic ER6i's...
May 26, 2005 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Bunninator

Head-Fier
They're just too uncomfortable. I have a sample of the smaller earpieces on the way. If they don't work out for me I think I'll really have no choice but to return the headphones. They're too difficult to wear, and I can't wear them and forget about them since they're so uncomfortable that I'm constantly thinking about the headphones rather than the music. I always get a good seal, so it's not that.

I'll give it some time but I don't know what I can replace it with. I was thinking about the Shure E3c's with the soft flex sleeves but I don't know. -_-

How does the E3c's sound, comfort and isolation compare witht he Etymotic ER6i's? Do I have to return the Etymotics directly back to the website I purchased it from in order to get a refund or can I return the product directly to Etymotic and get a full refund from them?

May 26, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 15
To be honest, I don't think you've given your ears enough time to become acclimated to them. It took me upwards of a week to get used to them again, after not using them for awhile. When you insert them, I hope you're not doing it dry......they need some sort of lubrication (water, spit, ear drops) to slide in nicely. When inserted deeply, pull back a bit while still maintaining a seal. This helps relieve the pressure.
If you are intent on returning them, I think you have to return the ER6i to the place you purchased them from.
I also have the ER3, and with the ultra-soft flex sleeves they are very comfortable. I think this is because I can get a good seal at the entrance to the ear canal, without having to insert them deeply. There is no pressure whatsoever.
As for sound quality, I don't think either one is necessarily better, but they are different. The Shure provides a smoother, less detailed sound with more visceral bass. The Ety is supremely detailed, with a more extended high end. The Ety, with the tri-flange provides more isolation as well.
Both do better with an amp.
Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 15
In my opinion, the er6i is no less comfortable than any other canalphone. You really just need to get used to the feeling - i don't think it would be any different with the e3c's. When I first got my e2c's, they were unbearable for more than 15 minutes for the first week or two. I can't imagine someone finding canalphones comfortable immediately. They take time.

If you want less treble, a more pronounced midrange, and more bass, then return the er6i's and get the shure's. However, if you are happy with the sound, switching to the shure's will not result in an improvement in comfort.

Try different tips. What is it that makes them feel uncomfortable?
and Give it time.

May 26, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 15
yep, they'll cease to be uncomfortable in a few weeks or so.

You can also get custom ear-molded pieces (w/ ER-6 adapter) from places like Sensaphonics, but that'll cost you more than you paid for your ER-6, heh. But that is max comfort & isolation right there (it doesn't really change the sound quality).

May 26, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 15
and you have to give time for that zit to recess.
icon10.gif

May 26, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 15
Hahah, yes, a pimple in the ear or ear canal can make canalphones very uncomfortable, especially with silicone tips.

I highly recommend trying the foam tips. Once you figure out a good way to insert them, you don't even need lubrication. Just roll the tip with your fingers to compress it, and slide it into your ear canal before it expands. Make sure you're lifting your ear canal open by pulling up on the top of your ear with your opposite hand (stretching your arm over the top of your head is the easiest to start).

The foamies are nice because they isolate very well, sound great and fit your ear no matter what the shape, because the foam expands and doesn't put pressure on your ear canals.

May 26, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunninator
How does the e3c compare in terms of isolation though? I probably won't return the phones, but I'd just like to know. Is there a huge difference?

If you use the tri-flanges on the E3, the isolation should be the same as the ER6i. With the ultra-soft flex sleeves, the isolation is still excellent, but it's probably a few db's less.
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #10 of 15
I already replaced one of the filters yeterday in an attempt to get one of the phones to sound less muffled. It seemed to have worked but now I'm not sure if I can return it with only 1 of the packed in replacement filters... -_-

May 26, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #12 of 15
As everyone else has said, you really do need to give them some time. When I bought the ER6i I had previously been using the sony EX71s and even then the tri-flange was uncomfortable and put too much pressure on the insides of the ear canal, making it painful after more than and hour of listening. There was also this immense suction effect due to the tight fit which was unpleasant too. I even tried cutting the smallest flange off but this seriously screwed up the sound.

I then began to use the long foamies for a while which were a bit more comfortable once you got a proper seal, but unfortunately they kind of muffled the sound. After a few months I returned to the triple-flange sleeves and to my astonishment they fit almost perfectly into my ear canal, providing a deep, secure fit that is comfortable even for hours on end. It only takes at most, 3 seconds to get a perfect seal and IMHO they are more comfortable than the EX71s and especially the EX81s. The sonys just seem too insecure and fiddly, with the wire arrangement being a pain in the ass as usual.

The EX81s are currently gathering dust now, the ER6i owns!
etysmile.gif

May 26, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
the ER6i owns!
etysmile.gif

I agree. The more I listen to them, the more "right" they sound and feel. They are excellent earphones, and excellent value.

May 26, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #14 of 15
If it turns out that after a while of break in, the phones still aren't comfortable for me I'll STILL sing the praises of the ER6i's and Etymotic as company.

I've never had such a positive experiance with customer service. Ever.

They're awsome headphones, it's just looking like their fit really isn't for me. We'll see, but serious kudos needs to be given to Etymotic for how much care they put into their product and their customers. I highly doubt that Shure's customer service can come anywhere near the customer service of Etymotic.

I've worn the foam tips, and it's still uncomfortable and I'm constantly aware of the objects I have inside my ears. I'm not a squeemish person by any means, so putting something in my ears doesn't bother me much. These are just a tad uncomfortable. I'll give them a week or two and after that I'll make my final decision.

May 26, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunninator
How does the e3c compare in terms of isolation though? I probably won't return the phones, but I'd just like to know. Is there a huge difference?

I've never heard the Ety's but I use a soft flex/foamie combo on my E3 and it seems the seal is as close to perfect as you can get without using custom tips. It's also extremely comfortable, the LazyBoy of canalphones.
Give it time though, there's always a period of adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back