Thinking of replacing my iPod Touch with a Sony X-Series Walkman. Should I?
Feb 4, 2011 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528
I love Sony gear and I have been eyeing the X-Series Walkman for a while.  Now that Sony killed the X-Series, I kinda want one before it's all gone.  I am a ALL Mac household so I don't know if I can use the X-Series Walkman.  Will I regret buying one?  Are there good Mac apps for the Walkman?

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 30
First, the SQ of the X Series is fantastic - you'd be in heaven (I owned 1 myself).

Secondly, I believe the X Series will show up as a removable drive (MSC) w/a MAC, but I'm hoping someone w/experience w/this can provide more info.

Lastly, the ONLY app you'll have (in the USA at least) is Slacker. There's no apps for a Sony X Series, there never was or will be - it's an audio & video device only. I mean, there's also an FM tuner - but that's everything.

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 30
Sound quality is what interests me and it's kinda cool to own the LAST great Walkman. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 30

Quote:
I love Sony gear and I have been eyeing the X-Series Walkman for a while.  Now that Sony killed the X-Series, I kinda want one before it's all gone.  I am a ALL Mac household so I don't know if I can use the X-Series Walkman.  Will I regret buying one?  Are there good Mac apps for the Walkman?

I doubt it.. sony MP3 players are a b1tch enough to use on PCs. Don't think any work on a mac without a work around method/program.

That and I HIGHLY doubt the supposed increase in SQ (which might not actually be there or very significant) will be in any way more valuable than the convenience and design of an iPod. Think about it realistically... you are talking one limited portable device vs another limited portable device. Convenience is my priority, storage space too.

Or like trying to choose between converse shoes or skater shoes when you really need cleats if you get me.

I would go with what is easiest to use and to me that is an iPod... I love iTunes to store and synch music.  I use foobar2000 to play it.

SonicStage that sony used was a nightmare and an embarrassment.

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 30
Never listened to an x series but do have 2 earlier models and love the sound quality. I have never had a problem with a pc either using the bundled software or just dragging and dropping because it is a MTP device. Can't vouch for Mac compatability

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 30
I forever regret the day I traded my x-series for an ipod classic; didn't realise the  x-series would be discontinued and increase in valuee either :frowning2:. Have also owned and sold an ipod touch; apps are a cool distraction, but honestly are pretty much just something to mess around with and never got much use  from me (except angry birds, sooo addictive). The x-series  had way better sq to my untrained ears than any ipod  I've owned, and  much better video playback quality  too. Purely for music and  video  the sony is miles ahead i think :)

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 30

Quote:
I forever regret the day I traded my x-series for an ipod classic; didn't realise the  x-series would be discontinued and increase in valuee either :frowning2:. Have also owned and sold an ipod touch; apps are a cool distraction, but honestly are pretty much just something to mess around with and never got much use  from me (except angry birds, sooo addictive). The x-series  had way better sq to my untrained ears than any ipod  I've owned, and  much better video playback quality  too. Purely for music and  video  the sony is miles ahead i think :)

The sound quality of the X Series really is a thing I do miss,...all the Apple stuffage I own does pale in comparison. For video quality tho, my iPhone 4 is damn fine tho,...I'll not deny that. Still - I miss my X,... 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Sound quality is what interests me and it's kinda cool to own the LAST great Walkman. 

The the X Series is your next best friend.

Quote:

I doubt it.. sony MP3 players are a b1tch enough to use on PCs. Don't think any work on a mac without a work around method/program.

That and I HIGHLY doubt the supposed increase in SQ (which might not actually be there or very significant) will be in any way more valuable than the convenience and design of an iPod. Think about it realistically... you are talking one limited portable device vs another limited portable device. Convenience is my priority, storage space too.

Or like trying to choose between converse shoes or skater shoes when you really need cleats if you get me.

I would go with what is easiest to use and to me that is an iPod... I love iTunes to store and synch music.  I use foobar2000 to play it.

The X Series never gave me one hiccup when I owned it, and I regret selling it as it was a stellar performer.

As for the SQ, it's excellent. It's quite better than an iPod, and the custom EQ is a real winner. As for the capacity issue, it's all a matter of personal preference, not of major importance to all to everyone.

The X Series plays well w/Media Monkey, J.River, WinAmp, etc. Sonic Stage is no longer,...and all the Sony Walkman now do drag&drop as well. Saying it doesn't work well w/a PC is not a fact for all - and most had no issues. 

Apparently you haven't used the newer Sony Walkman either as an S/A/E/or S Series are all excellent sounding and performing devices. 

Why post advice about a device you've never even used??? 
popcorn.gif

Quote:
Never listened to an x series but do have 2 earlier models and love the sound quality. I have never had a problem with a pc either using the bundled software or just dragging and dropping because it is a MTP device. Can't vouch for Mac compatability

Like I said, and I agree w/you 100% - I've never had the issues the non-Sony user has mentioned. I still have my S Series S639, and I'd be damned if I'd sell that baby,...and I still miss the X Series I owned.

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 30

Quote:
Quote:

The sound quality of the X Series really is a thing I do miss,...all the Apple stuffage I own does pale in comparison. For video quality tho, my iPhone 4 is damn fine tho,...I'll not deny that. Still - I miss my X,... 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

The the X Series is your next best friend.

Quote:

The X Series never gave me one hiccup when I owned it, and I regret selling it as it was a stellar performer.

As for the SQ, it's excellent. It's quite better than an iPod, and the custom EQ is a real winner. As for the capacity issue, it's all a matter of personal preference, not of major importance to all to everyone.

The X Series plays well w/Media Monkey, J.River, WinAmp, etc. Sonic Stage is no longer,...and all the Sony Walkman now do drag&drop as well. Saying it doesn't work well w/a PC is not a fact for all - and most had no issues. 

Apparently you haven't used the newer Sony Walkman either as an S/A/E/or S Series are all excellent sounding and performing devices. 

Why post advice about a device you've never even used??? 
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Like I said, and I agree w/you 100% - I've never had the issues the non-Sony user has mentioned. I still have my S Series S639, and I'd be damned if I'd sell that baby,...and I still miss the X Series I owned.

Was more warning on the basis that decrease in ease of use is most likely not worth the alleged increase in sound quality. Don't have to have used a device to make that point.

People hear what they want to hear when it comes to things like this and I am not hear to argue over vague sonics. At the end of the day they are all just mp3 players anyways.

I wouldn't give up my "synch and go" for drag and drop any day but I don't even use an iPod touch. I have a 160gig classic because that is what I need.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 30
I spent a few hours trying to buy one online.  Man! it's hard to come by.  I didn't realize it's that hard to get now.  What other models is as good or better from Sony?

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #11 of 30

Quote:
Was more warning on the basis that decrease in ease of use is most likely not worth the alleged increase in sound quality. Don't have to have used a device to make that point.

People hear what they want to hear when it comes to things like this and I am not hear to argue over vague sonics. At the end of the day they are all just mp3 players anyways.

I wouldn't give up my "synch and go" for drag and drop any day but I don't even use an iPod touch. I have a 160gig classic because that is what I need.

I in no way am attempting to argue, and I use my classic & iPhone on a daily basis - but the X Series can be set to "sync & go" as well,...it's more versatile than even our classics - and the SQ is exceptional,...sadly.

But, TBH, I'd still never give up my classic 7G anyways - I love it's SQ, and Rockbox is currently being worked on for it. Once RB is ready all other DAP's can go get stuffed IMO!!! 
beerchug.gif
 Rockbox is the great equalizer - LITERALLY!!!

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #12 of 30

Quote:
Quote:

I in no way am attempting to argue, and I use my classic & iPhone on a daily basis - but the X Series can be set to "sync & go" as well,...it's more versatile than even our classics - and the SQ is exceptional,...sadly.

But, TBH, I'd still never give up my classic 7G anyways - I love it's SQ, and Rockbox is currently being worked on for it. Once RB is ready all other DAP's can go get stuffed IMO!!! 
beerchug.gif
 Rockbox is the great equalizer - LITERALLY!!!

Well if it can sync and go (thought they were drag and drop only) I guess my points are pretty much void. :p

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #13 of 30
I found a 32gb unit locally, but seller wants $439. Is that too much to pay for a new one?

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #14 of 30

Quote:
I found a 32gb unit locally, but seller wants $439. Is that too much to pay for a new one?

Did you already pull the trigger? I hope not! SonyStyle doesn't show this on their refurb site but you can add it to the cart and order it if you go to the direct page. Says $399 but when you add it to the cart, It's $289, so out the door shipped was $313.

https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665866118

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #15 of 30
And to think i just bought one today here in Nuevo Laredo Mexico , slightly used , 16 gb for 1500 pesos .........thats about 130 dollars .......and it sounds awesome ....much better than my sansa clip
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back