Thinking of picking up a DSLR.
May 22, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #91 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I'm looking at flashes....what flash do you guys recommend?

FWIW, I'm going to be doing a little wedding photography on the side to pay for this setup...so keep that in mind, too
icon10.gif

What camera did you decide on?

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
www.keh.com is also another good place for used photography equipment.

X2. I've used them a few time; the experience has been very good.

For Canon user, I highly recommend Dave's suggestion for POTN. I've nabbed some GREAT deal there on glass there (Personally, I'd be more careful with bodies):
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...splay.php?f=14

May 22, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #92 of 214
I'd wait for used hand me down 580EX as flash for those upgrading to 580EXII.

I'd get XTi over XT then if you're going to be in a somewhat more demanding shooting. The buffer is bigger and the autofocus is same as on 30D.

May 22, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #94 of 214
Quote:

Check out comparisons with the foveon sensors, and Canons still blow them out of the water with detail and tonality.

Now this I will have to disagree with. I've never seen sharper or more vividly detailed images than the ones I have seen from Foveon sensors. Because they can capture the full color information at each pixel, there's no need for interpolation, anti-aliasing, and the images don't even need to be sharpened afterwards!

Compare this image from one of the Sigma Foveon sensor cameras:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...s/IMG09768.jpg

To an image from a 1DS MKII

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/VJ9J8130.JPG

The difference is striking. The Canon image has an overall dullness and lack of detail compared to the Sigma. Look at the lines between the bricks. The leaves on the bushes and palm trees. The image from the Foveon sensor is so much sharper it's not even funny. Especially shocking are the shingles on the roof. On the Canon, they blend into one big brown smudge, (with obvious color artifacting no less) but on the Sigma, each individual shingle is visible all the way into the background. (My new 400D exhibits the same image dullness visible on the Canon image. It's really kind of disappointing.)

May 22, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #95 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd wait for used hand me down 580EX as flash for those upgrading to 580EXII.

That's exactly what I'm doing, especially being that I've got a 430ex. I like the idea of master and slave; it's not just for S&M!

Nick, I don't think you'll find any arguments against the 580EX for power if you're going to shoot weddings.

Another way to go is a refurb 20D from Adorama @ $719. Has a 90 day exchange policy and they sell a 2 year Mack warranty for $35.00 as well. They were $650, but the price has gone up. I'm not sure if it will go down again.

May 22, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #96 of 214
Quote:

^I'm going to be going with the XT or XTi. I've been looking at pictures at dpreview.com and I really like the Canon picture quality.

welcome to team Canon (I think
icon10.gif
) If the body is too small for you, do think about the battery grip. Will help with those wedding shoots too
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as flash is concerned...I'd make sure it's ETTL II compatible (a fancier way of doing a special metering for flash), and most importantly that it accepts a higher voltage adapter. An external battery pack like the Quantum Turbo battery is good for event photography. It has a higher voltage then the flash's batteries, so it will take a lot less time to recharge the flash's capacitor (or juice in other words). You'll be able to take more continuous shots with it...just don't go crazy or you'll melt the flash from overheating it with too many firings at one time. Something like the Canon 430EX is a good starter flash IMO.

May 22, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #97 of 214
PiccoloNamek, I find a few problems with that 1DSMKII image.

- It is JPEG from in camera. The RAW -> JPEG is slightly better BUT
- Where is his focus? The right side of image is clearer.
confused.gif

- That lens is not very good. Full frame is demanding
tongue.gif

May 22, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #98 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's exactly what I'm doing, especially being that I've got a 430ex. I like the idea of master and slave; it's not just for S&M!

Nick, I don't think you'll find any arguments against the 580EX for power if you're going to shoot weddings.

Another way to go is a refurb 20D from Adorama @ $719. Has a 90 day exchange policy and they sell a 2 year Mack warranty for $35.00 as well. They were $650, but the price has gone up. I'm not sure if it will go down again.

What's the difference between the 430 and 580 flashes?

Will I get better pictures with a 20D? The friend of mine who I might help do weddings said I NEEDED a 10MP camera to help him...I don't understand why though. Could you help me with that argument? It's a bigger camera, isn't it?

May 22, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #99 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PiccoloNamek, I find a few problems with that 1DSMKII image.

- It is JPEG from in camera. The RAW -> JPEG is slightly better BUT
- Where is his focus? The right side of image is clearer.
confused.gif

- That lens is not very good. Full frame is demanding
tongue.gif

I don't think better focus, a better lens, and the best available raw processing could allow the canon to attain the stark sharpness of the Foveon image. When you consider the very nature of a Bayer pattern filter and what has to be done to create a complete image from it, it simply isn't possible.

May 22, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #100 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
welcome to team Canon (I think
icon10.gif
) If the body is too small for you, do think about the battery grip. Will help with those wedding shoots too
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as flash is concerned...I'd make sure it's ETTL II compatible (a fancier way of doing a special metering for flash), and most importantly that it accepts a higher voltage adapter. An external battery pack like the Quantum Turbo battery is good for event photography. It has a higher voltage then the flash's batteries, so it will take a lot less time to recharge the flash's capacitor (or juice in other words). You'll be able to take more continuous shots with it...just don't go crazy or you'll melt the flash from overheating it with too many firings at one time. Something like the Canon 430EX is a good starter flash IMO.

Yup, I'm a Canon-man now! So, for the flash I can use the 430EX with a battery-pack? I want to get something that will work great...but it doesn't have to be the very best out there, just a nice setup.

May 22, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #101 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now this I will have to disagree with. I've never seen sharper or more vividly detailed images than the ones I have seen from Foveon sensors. Because they can capture the full color information at each pixel, there's no need for interpolation, anti-aliasing, and the images don't even need to be sharpened afterwards!

Those two photos are taken in different situations, so that's not a full comparison. I don't have the time to go and hunt it down, but I did see a comparison of a foveon and CMOS sensor taken from the same still life. With that, you could clearly see that the Canon had better color reproduction: the Sigma's color was a bit too red. Foveons are also limited to less resolution....so their pixel density isn't any greater.

Also, with that particular Canon shot...I'm wondering what lens they used...I see a slight color fringing with that. "Dullness" might just be that you like more contrast and saturation. Canon's settings tend to be less saturated then other brands settings I've noticed. But a good lens is crucial for sharp focus
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #102 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Compare this image from one of the Sigma Foveon sensor cameras:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...s/IMG09768.jpg

To an image from a 1DS MKII

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/VJ9J8130.JPG

The difference is striking. The Canon image has an overall dullness and lack of detail compared to the Sigma. Look at the lines between the bricks. The leaves on the bushes and palm trees. The image from the Foveon sensor is so much sharper it's not even funny. Especially shocking are the shingles on the roof. On the Canon, they blend into one big brown smudge, (with obvious color artifacting no less) but on the Sigma, each individual shingle is visible all the way into the background. (My new 400D exhibits the same image dullness visible on the Canon image. It's really kind of disappointing.)

I have no idea how you can compare two images with vastly different variables and come to any conclusion:

Canon

Exposure Time = 1/320"
F Number = F9
Focal Length = 35mm
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure

Sigma

Exposure Time = 1/1000"
F Number = F5
Focal Length = 50mm
Exposure Program = Shutter priority

May 22, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #103 of 214
Quote:

Yup, I'm a Canon-man now! So, for the flash I can use the 430EX with a battery-pack? I want to get something that will work great...but it doesn't have to be the very best out there, just a nice setup.

Yeah, a battery pack is more important then springing for the 580EX. The main thing the 580 has is wireless capability. With it, you can sync with other wireless flashes for lighting. But if you're just going for one flash with event photography, best to get the 430EX and a battery pack IMO (the battery will let you fire off more photos).

May 22, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #104 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, a battery pack is more important then springing for the 580EX. The main thing the 580 has is wireless capability. With it, you can sync with other wireless flashes for lighting. But if you're just going for one flash with event photography, best to get the 430EX and a battery pack IMO (the battery will let you fire off more photos).

Thanks!

Now, do you think it's neccessary to buy the XTi to do wedding photography? I've been looking at pictures at dpreview.com and I had hard time telling which camera did better...between the XT and XTi.

May 22, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #105 of 214
Quote:

"Dullness" might just be that you like more contrast and saturation. Canon's settings tend to be less saturated then other brands settings I've noticed. But a good lens is crucial for sharp focus.

I think I've discovered the Canon "veil".
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back