Thinking of pairing DT770 with Magni/Modi on laptop for streaming Pandora - is this overkill?
Nov 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

squeakez

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all - This is my first post even though I have been lurking for several years. My old setup is getting, well, old. I had DB500s with a fiio6 amp which was my first foray into decent sound. I know it is very junior birdman which is why I am ready to move up. I have a budget of ~$400 to work with. I will be using these cans on my Acer laptop to stream Pandora at night after my wife goes to bed. The genres I listen to are pop/rock, electronic, dance, trance. I do love bass but feel like the DB500s might be a bit too much and might be muddying the mids and highs. I don't listen to any dub or hip hop.

After several weeks of research I have tentatively chosen the DT770s and the Magni/Modi combo. Does this sound like a good choice for my purposes? I don't travel with these at all so it doesn't have to be a mobile setup.

Also - what is the best ohm amount to get with the DT770s considering I will have a good amp to drive them. Is there any difference in sound between the different ohm levels? In other words does the 80 ohm sound better with a DAC and amp than the 250 ohms? Oh, one more thing - I do occasionally listen through my tablet but not much anymore since I realized my laptop sounded way better.  That might be different with the DAC and amp.

I am completely open to any suggestions for better equipment you all might have. Thanks!

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 7
  Hi all - This is my first post even though I have been lurking for several years. My old setup is getting, well, old. I had DB500s with a fiio6 amp which was my first foray into decent sound. I know it is very junior birdman which is why I am ready to move up. I have a budget of ~$400 to work with. I will be using these cans on my Acer laptop to stream Pandora at night after my wife goes to bed. The genres I listen to are pop/rock, electronic, dance, trance. I do love bass but feel like the DB500s might be a bit too much and might be muddying the mids and highs. I don't listen to any dub or hip hop.

After several weeks of research I have tentatively chosen the DT770s and the Magni/Modi combo. Does this sound like a good choice for my purposes? I don't travel with these at all so it doesn't have to be a mobile setup.

Also - what is the best ohm amount to get with the DT770s considering I will have a good amp to drive them. Is there any difference in sound between the different ohm levels? In other words does the 80 ohm sound better with a DAC and amp than the 250 ohms? Oh, one more thing - I do occasionally listen through my tablet but not much anymore since I realized my laptop sounded way better.  That might be different with the DAC and amp.

I am completely open to any suggestions for better equipment you all might have. Thanks!

I prefer to use my (40-Ohm) Audio Technica ATH-A900X, over my DT770 Pro (both 80 &250) headphones.
The Magni/Modi combo should work fine for playing music files from you laptop.

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 7
PurpleAngel - Thanks for the suggestion - I will check it out.

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #5 of 7
One question about the A900X - I have a small head and have seen many people mentioning that they slip a lot if your head is small. Do you see this as an issue? I also move my head around quite a bit if I'm really into a song and wonder if they would fall off. A couple of people mentioned putting string around the wings to resolve this.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 7
  One question about the A900X - I have a small head and have seen many people mentioning that they slip a lot if your head is small. Do you see this as an issue? I also move my head around quite a bit if I'm really into a song and wonder if they would fall off. A couple of people mentioned putting string around the wings to resolve this.

I found I had to hold the wings down, over night, to change the memory in the springs, so the wings work better.
Putting a rubber band or string around the wings is another way of keeping the A900X in place.

Also heard that using Hifiman's Velour ear pads also helps hold the A900X in place.

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 7
Great thanks!  I think I'm going to give these a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back