Thinking of moving out of the US. Insight?
Mar 6, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #77 of 99
Another terrible job loss report today. If the recent job loss trend isn't reversed soon, we'll hit 10% national unemployment in just four more months.

I'd think long and hard about whether a marketing degree is good preparation for the future.

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #78 of 99
Jobs are getting killed by the 'stimulus' package. sigh...

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #79 of 99
xnothingpoetic, there's one major thing that makes the US distinct from all other countries, we got debt up the hizzay, which I confidently presume is why you are so scared of living in the US. The worst case scenario (since you seem so eager to have nightmares) would be that the US economy collapses, the world economy suffers in turn, and then the people America owes money to starts to call in the tabs taking real estate and everything else as recompensation.

To quote Nostradamus

Quote:

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

If you want to run away from America I suggest you do learn another language, just so you can go to a place where few other Americans will go to in an unlikely to occur mass-migration. I don't recommend learning Spanish and going south of the border, many of those countries will not appreciate the influx in population. Chances are Americans will remain where they are and take the economic and financial burdens rather than migrate.

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #80 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another terrible job loss report today. If the recent job loss trend isn't reversed soon, we'll hit 10% national unemployment in just four more months.

I'd think long and hard about whether a marketing degree is good preparation for the future.

that's an out-sourceable job. I wouldn't go for that. you're too easily replaced and marketing guys are VERY expensive (for what they give, to be honest).

that job type is not safe.

what IS safe is things that can't be sent overseas. changing our oil, that's a local-only thing
wink.gif
plumbing, electrical, roofing, building, construction - all physical things that can't be outsourced.

any THINKING jobs - fergetaboutit! I would not recommend anyone go into IP style jobs - they're the easiest to ship offshore ;(

take it from someone who knows ;(

pick a PHYSICAL job that requires you to BE there. so far, those are mostly safe.

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #81 of 99
I don't understand what job you are referring to in your first paragraph. It can't be marketing because that isn't out-sourceable.

"that's an out-soruceable job"
"you're too easily replaced"
"that job type is bot safe"

Please clarify.

And as I said before: plumbing/etc jobs are NOT safe. When the market goes down,no one will be buying new homes as much and much less homes will be built. So massive people will be laid off.

At home repairs you say? With the massive layoffs from above, we will have way too many plumbers/electricians/etc. Finding work will be hard and people will be forced to work for cheap if they want the job- otherwise the next guy that works cheaper than you will get it.

My brother is a union plumber, and new construction is scarce these days, and so is work. They have to layoff guys left and right. He's tried to do side jobs, but again there is already so many guys out there trying to do the same thing.

This is now. Just wait until a couple years down the road...

Looks like I'll be going to the Sierra Nevada and living off the land, isolate myself from society, and enjoy the beauty that surrounds me, My only companion will be a hunting dog. I'll also need some solar panels/batteries to charge my audio system
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #83 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And as I said before: plumbing/etc jobs are NOT safe. When the market goes down,no one will be buying new homes as much and much less homes will be built. So massive people will be laid off.

This is true. This is one of the major reasons unemployment in California is already over 10%. (That was last month. I haven't been able to find today's revised California numbers, but they're undoubtedly higher.) A lot of construction work is over and not coming back for a while.

Quote:

Looks like I'll be going to sierra Nevada and living off the land, isolate myself from society, and enjoy the beauty that surrounds me, My only companion will be a hunting dog. I'll also need some solar panels/batteries to charge my audio system
smily_headphones1.gif

That or medical school
wink.gif

It's important to not get too pessimistic, but on the same token, some choices are riskier than others. You're in a good position because you're young and can still trim your sails and change direction.

Mar 6, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #84 of 99
I can't afford medical school without loans and I don't I want to change my major this late in life, nor am I even passionate about it.

I don't see 19 as too young. It feels like I should be out there living life right about now and not in school (living life= independent and doing the things I on my "before I die list"),

I don't want to spend my entire- what I refer to as "young life-" paying loans back. After "young life" is when I turn mid 30's and all the things I wanted to do before I wouldn't have enough energy to do any longer.

Sigh,, I wish I could retire now and work when I'm old....

btw, I was only half kidding about Sierra Nevada. I seriously would like to spend at least a couple weeks out there.

Mar 6, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #85 of 99
Quote:

I don't see 19 as too young. It feels like I should be out there living life right about now and not in school (living life= independent and doing the things I on my "before I die list")

You might seriously consider the Peace Corps. They send you somewhere for a year, you get paid, and it looks great on a resume. (Plus the med school admissions people like it.)

Mar 6, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #86 of 99
Quote:

I can't afford medical school without loans and I don't I want to change my major this late in life, nor am I even passionate about it.

I don't see 19 as too young. It feels like I should be out there living life right about now and not in school (living life= independent and doing the things I on my "before I die list"),

I don't want to spend my entire- what I refer to as "young life-" paying loans back. After "young life" is when I turn mid 30's and all the things I wanted to do before I wouldn't have enough energy to do any longer.

Sigh,, I wish I could retire now and work when I'm old....

DDS 5 yrs w/specialty training - 500K student loan;
DDS practicing profit within 3yrs of graduation - 650k/yr

you can pay your loan back in say 3yrs tops and ride the gravy train till you are 70
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #88 of 99
Quote:

[...] experiencing something new and different.

You could experience so many new and different things without leaving the USA. Are you maybe just feeling bored?

Quote:

maybe I will find somewhere I would like to live for the majority of my life. Is this so unreasonable?

If it's not unreasonable, it's at least pretty unrealistic. Unfortunately the world's borders are not completely open to entertain and facilitate these sorts of ambitions.

Quote:

"So why not move somewhere else?" I asked myself.
I couldn't think of a reason not to other than family and friends

Family and friends are the best reason to stay somewhere, the way I see it. I'm an expatriate myself, and have been away from "home" for many years now. You may have an entirely different construct of the world and of life, but mundane things like labor and wages don't mean anything at all to me compared to family and friends. It would be pure bliss to have it all, but in tough times it isn't always possible.

Quote:

I don't have the energy to learn a new language

If you don't have the energy to learn a new language, then why would the foreign society "have the energy" to welcome and integrate you into it, or employ you in place of one of its own citizens? I know you mentioned restricting your target countries to those where English is spoken, but still, I think a cavalier attitude of not having the wherewithal to integrate into the society will be readily perceived and shunned by the locals.

Quote:

General thoughts and feelings are welcome

I think you might just consider spending a year abroad as an exchange student. If your life should develop into a situation where a long-term or permanent move abroad would make sense (read=you marry a foreigner), then most likely things will more or less fall into place.

Mar 6, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #89 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might seriously consider the Peace Corps. They send you somewhere for a year, you get paid, and it looks great on a resume. (Plus the med school admissions people like it.)

Good idea, I'll look into it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you maybe just feeling bored?

It's not boredom, I just have a different view on how life should be lived than most people. I wont go into it because I wouldn't expect many to understand. I also can't talk about it without going against some of the rules on what we cannot discus. But this is what I want to do, trust me.

Btw, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you all for answering my questions, addressing my concerns, adding your insight and opinions, contributing to the thread, and keep the discussion-on topic.
I don't have the time, or a response period, to respond to everyone, but everyone's input was read, considered, and taken seriously.

I enjoyed/am enjoying our discussion.

Sorry if that sounded like a closure-- please continue to share!

Mar 6, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #90 of 99
What do you guys recommend for solar panel+battery to power audio systems? I need something that works great with my portable power conditioner too so I can have ultimate music experience even when all hell breaks loose and there's more blackouts than not.

I really don't get it, the media says, You spent too much money... you loaned too much money... there's too many people. Then they turn around and say, You are spending too little... not enough loaning.... we need more manpower to pay off the debt... then whenever someone sez, Let's print mo' money and get our creditors off our backs! The response is always, What, you want to make a dollar worth ten cents?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean, 1. We can't spend/save our way out of this crisis 2. Banks can't lend too much or too little (in other words, banks won't rescue us) 3. In some countries there's too little workforce (like Japan) and in other countries there's too much and 4. We're not allowed to get out of the debt we're in by printing money to the people strangling us to death with debt?

Reaffirmation that I made the right choice spending all my time getting the ultimate headphone experience instead of caring about the economy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back