Thinking of Learning Japanese (3rd Language). Need advice!!
Feb 13, 2011 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

beamthegreat

500+ Head-Fier
Hi! As stated in the title, Im am thinking of taking a Japanese in my high school class, but I need your opinion/advices. The main reason I am hesitant to learn another language is mainly because I am worried that it will affect my grade. I know studying another language involves a lot of effort to memorize new vocabs, which will be very time consuming for me. As a result, I am afraid that studying japanese will affect my already-low grade. The second reason is because I will become a sophomore next year and I will have to learn my third language with a lot of freshman next year since I never took japanese class before. 

How do you think I should deal with these problems and do you think I should learn japanese? Any opinion/comments/advices are welcome.

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 6
If it's just basic beginner Japanese and you're doing it to get your credits or whatever, sure. It shouldn't be too hard to pass that.
But if you really want to do something with it, expect to put in a lot of time.

And if you're bad with languages, don't do it.
If you have to take a language, take something easier that's more similar to English like German or something.

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 6
Japanese as a speaking language is not to hard to get the basics and learn to converse.  Learning to read and write is a whole different ball game.  Not only do you need to learn the basic hiragana and katakana but the many kanji characters.

Feb 14, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 6
Learn a language that you plan on practicing and using. If you don't do either, you'll never get it down. I didn't understand oracle until I started scripting query executions for my old job; the same with Korean.

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #6 of 6
Wow, you are the first Canadian I've seen that's used 'freshman' and 'sophmore' - that or Canada is rapidly changing. I started Japanese study at the end of secondary school and did just fine. My grades were never great - never had any firsts or anything, but I did okay. It was my 4th language at the time, but now my 2nd best... as I've not used the others since then. 

Languages are just like anything - you learn them and then you move on, or your move with them and they move with you. Any language you learn will benefit you, so don't worry. First year Japanese (secondary or university) is very easy, so if you want a good grade, take it. Spend a week learning hiragana and katakana and you are set - the rest is child's play. Same with the first 150 or so kanji. After that, you will move into actual language and have to really work on studying or you won't do well. 

Beginning is very very easy in Japanese. The middle is very hard.

Quote:
Hi! As stated in the title, Im am thinking of taking a Japanese in my high school class, but I need your opinion/advices. The main reason I am hesitant to learn another language is mainly because I am worried that it will affect my grade. I know studying another language involves a lot of effort to memorize new vocabs, which will be very time consuming for me. As a result, I am afraid that studying japanese will affect my already-low grade. The second reason is because I will become a sophomore next year and I will have to learn my third language with a lot of freshman next year since I never took japanese class before. 

How do you think I should deal with these problems and do you think I should learn japanese? Any opinion/comments/advices are welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back