Thinking of getting the Audioengine D1. Thoughts?
Sep 29, 2012 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sku11munch3r

New Head-Fier
Im thinking of getting the Audioengine D1.
I have audioengine a2 speakers and also Harmon Kardon Soundsticks 2.

I also have Bose QC 15 Headphones(for travel) and will soon get the Vmoda M80's. 

I have a mid 2010 macbook pro. My question is "will the D1 improve the sound quality of my music and movies through the speakers? and also for the m80's and Bose headphones?"

Thinking of getting better cans in the future, but for now will the D1 show enough increase in the quality of sound to justify 
a purchase?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #3 of 6
buummp
gs1000.gif

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 6
I picked up an Audioengine D1 recently because I was looking for a somewhat more portable solution than my Musical Fidelity V-DAC (this is the original black one and not the new version), and I wanted one that had a built-in headphone amp. The D1 is an improvement over no DAC, and the amp works quite well. Having said that, I far prefer the sound of the V-DAC. Specifically, I can hear the improved soundstage on the V-DAC but not on the D1. So while I think the D1 sounds better than nothing, it wasn't nearly as much of an improvement as I had hoped for. I plan to use it only for headphones and stick with the V-DAC for speakers (which is what I use most of the time).

Sep 30, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 6
I agree with vjack.

The D1 sound difference is very subtle.  Tighter bass, smoother vocals, slightly expanded soundstage is what I noticed out of a 2008 Macbook vs D1.  Again very slight changes though that you really need to focus in on to hear. It's not a night/day type difference.

But at that price point I liked it enough to act as a pseudo pre-amp and the headphone amp isn't that bad.

Just order it from a vendor that has a 30 day return period and try it out for yourself ... if you don't like it just return it. :)

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #6 of 6
Really appreciate the input Vjack and mtkversion.
I think for now I'll just hold out for the time being until I can get better cans. 

I live in India so theres not really a trial option at my disposal.

I guess it doesn't make sense to go for the D1, if the improvement in audio quality is subtle at best. 
Probably makes more sense to invest the cash in better sounding headphones.
 Once again thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back