Thinking of getting some Sennheiser HD485s
Dec 22, 2007 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

D_Brasted

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting some Sennheiser HD 485s, and wondered whether peeps here think they're a good choice...

I am going to be wearing them for lengthy periods, so comfort is a big concern. I also wear glasses. Regarding the sound quality, I mainly listen to what's known as "contemporary Christian music" (I'm not good at describing music, but I suppose CCM's something like "soft rock"), as well as some softer acoustic stuff - so I like a crisp, clean sound (for the vocals, acoustic guitars, etc), with a good degree of punchy (but not overwhelming) bass.

Are the 485s a good choice? I can get them for a little under £40 inc p&p. Any other suggestions? I don't really want to spend more than £55.

Thanks.

Dec 22, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 15
i've had the HD485's for a couple of months now, simply there extremely comfortable, i wear them for hours at a time. in terms of sound at first the they seem like bass monsters with a pretty bloated bass which seems to overpower the mids & highs. However if you give them plenty of time to burn in the bass settles and they become really nice budget cans.

i would definately recomend them.

Dec 22, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 15
You can't go wrong wih the HD485. Yes the bass is strong but the mids and highs are so clear that it's still verry balanced. And yes, they are extremely comfortable but they are quite big and I wouldn't be caught dead wearing them in the streets.

Dec 22, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 15
I wear mine while walking around......if people think it's weird so be it[the sound quality's what matters not how it looks imho]......I also wear glasses and have no problems with them and the 485's.

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 15
HD485 is very nice all-arounder for the money. Its bass is certainly empasized while quite tight. It does rock well. It is quite sensitive also, so it is ok to use it even with no amp.

Comfort may be a problem with long listening sessions. HD485 sits very well but it is quite warm on ears. I also doubt on glasses compatibilty.

Another suggestion is Grado SR-60. I recommend it above HD485 for your request. It does rock better, it is lighter, less warm on ears. Dunno about glasses though.

HD485 is more versatile on genres, BTW.

Dec 22, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #6 of 15
Unfortunately the Grado SR-60s are beyond my price range, plus they're supra-aural, and I'd prefer circumaural.

I'm really confused looking at the various reviews for the 485s... some people say "yeah, they're wonderful" - others say "no, they're awful/you can get better for the price". Some say "great mids", others say "no mids". Some reviewers say "too much bass!", others say "bass is great!". HeadRoom seem to really like them, other reviewers don't.

I don't want cans that have loads of bass and loads of treble, but little/no mids. To my (admittedly untrained and minimally experienced) ears my friend's pair of Sony MDR-7506s were like that - great bass and treble, but overly so...

I'll mainly be using them with my portable CD player, so I don't want high resistance headphones. And I'd rather have versatility over exceptional performance for only one genre.

I suppose I could stretch my budget a little more... any other suggestions? Or are the 485s probably my best choice?

Dec 22, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 15
HD555 sounds more even and it is more comfortable.

I also highly recommend Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 over HD555 or HD485.

Dec 22, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 15
SR60 are supraaural, but they are very comfy. They are much better in this regards than typical supra-aural headphones.

Dec 22, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 15
Reviews variety on HD485 is based on their sound coloration. As with any coloration, some like it while some not. You should listen it yourself to decide.

It may also depends on amping. I found that HD485 sound well with iPod 5g, which is quite powerful. Weaker source may make bad job.

Dec 22, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #10 of 15
Get HD485. I've used it with my pcdps and it's excellent imo. I've owned SR60 3 times and now loathe mid/full size supra-aurals that smash your ears and make the sides of your head sweat. I also think the SQ is better with HD485.

Dec 22, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #11 of 15
The Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 is way out of my price range, sadly. But the HD555s are close enough for me to be very interested...

I'm a little concerned about the higher impedance though - I've read/heard that running a device with too high impedance headphones can damage the output (e.g. of a PC soundcard/portable CD player). Is this true? The 555s are rated at 50 ohms rather than the usual 64, but that's still higher than the 32 of the 485s. I can't afford a headphone amp, unfortunately.

Another thing - do the 555s have a detachable cable? HeadRoom say no, but the official British Sennheiser product sheet says it does. I ask because if they do, and I choose to buy them, then I can also just buy a replacement cable with a 3.5mm jack, rather than purchase (for example) the Grado 6.3mm-3.5mm adapter.

Dec 23, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by D_Brasted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read/heard that running a device with too high impedance headphones can damage the output (e.g. of a PC soundcard/portable CD player). Is this true?

No.

Quote:

I can't afford a headphone amp, unfortunately.

Something tells me that you'll can soon
rolleyes.gif
Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet! Amp will certainly rise HD555 SQ step above.

Quote:

Another thing - do the 555s have a detachable cable? HeadRoom say no, but the official British Sennheiser product sheet says it does.

Strange confusion, both of your info sources are quite responsible. Now it is safer to check yourself somewhere in retail shop or find any real owner here to ask.

I also recommend you to dig Headphone Reviews :: Headphone Review System for more opionions on headphones. F.e., there is Philips SHP895 listed at Headphone Reviews :: Philips SHP895. I did not listen this can myself, so I can not recommend it. But I certainly may recommend to learn more on it because it is highly popular in my country among low-fi (entry level, budget consious) audiophiles.

Dec 26, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #13 of 15
Hi again,

After doing some more research, I'm still unsure which headphones to go for, and my choice has just widened...

I was intending to get circumaural headphones, but having briefly tried a set of supra-aural Sennheiser HD 25s I'm not so sure... or in other words, I'm considering both types.

I was also not worried about whether they were open or closed - and quite liked the thought of the more "airy" sound of open headphones. However, I'm not so sure now - I don't want to be disturbing everyone around me (e.g. at home, when I'm at my computer and my family's watching the TV in my room) - so maybe I would prefer semi-open/closed headphones.

Just how open are the 485s and 555s?

So... any more suggestions? I'm looking for clarity and evenness of tone over bass "punch", but still like some depth to the bass... My budget's around £55.

Thanks.

Dec 26, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #14 of 15
Ive owned the 555's for almost a year and I love them. I find them extremely comfortable for hours (and I wear glasses!) and they sound great. I use them amped (LD2+) but often use them unamped as well if I am on the move.

One complaint, if I use them straight out of my I-Pod at low volumes the sound is quite "veiled". This does NOT happen with other sources or if I use the amp so I 'think' its the I-Pod. I have used them quite a bit un-amped with a portable CD player and this is not a problem.

edit.... I should also add that I fall asleep all the time with them on and my wife never complains about any noise. I do tend to listen at lower volumes but I still think that you are not likely to bother your neighbors with these.

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

...tried a set of supra-aural ...I'm considering both types.

One more good word for Grado.

Quote:

I would prefer semi-open/closed headphones...I'm looking for clarity and evenness of tone over bass "punch", but still like some depth to the bass...

You've just described HD280 (closed can) and Beyerdynamic DT231 (listed as closed, semi-open really).

Quote:

Just how open are the 485s and 555s?

They are completely open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back