Thinking of getting my very first amp
Mar 15, 2009 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lonereaction

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I got the ESW9 recently, and really like the improved soundstage compared to the livewires. (sadly, the isolation is crap compared to livewires
mad.gif
IEMS still better for commuting)

I use MP3gain to make all my mp3 sound equally loud, and this is true when using the livewires with ipod 6g. However, when using the esw9, some songs would sound much softer than others, to the extent that I have to turn the volume up. Sometimes during the duration of said "softer" song, the volume would seemingly increase, and I have to turn the volume back down because it was too loud.

Does having an amp fix this? I did try the Govibe petite, Martini, Magnum, and the GS Voyager. I noticed some improvement in SQ, but I can't really tell if it's just placebo with my untrained average joe ears.

Thankyou for reading!

Edit: Oh no, I started this thread in the wrong forum.. can a mod move it to "portable amps' section? Thanks!

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 8
I believe what you are referring to as far as volume goes are dynamics. We generally view that as a good thing around hear. Artists use volume changes to emphasize parts and give more layers to the music. This is also the reason that upping the volume with something like mp3 gain is considered a no-no. When you do that, it compresses the dynamic range of the track, causing the music to clip possibly and degrade the quality. If you feel the need to equalize track volumes, turn down the loud ones - don't bump up the quiet ones.

And, as to your question, no, having an amp will most likely increase the dynamic range of your phones, making the differences in volume larger.

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 8
I use 93db for mp3 gain, which reduces the gain of almost all the the mp3 files I have. The strange thing is, sometimes, the entire track will sound soft... not just parts of it! And it doesn't happen (or I don't notice it) with the livewires.

And I understand what you mean by dynamic range (watch 5.1 movies on my 5.1 pc speakers sometimes) but somehow it doesn't feel like dynamic range at all.

Mar 15, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 8
what is your source right now..? i am recommending, throw away those lossy files and go to the real thing (lossless or straight from the cd),unless you have a space problem, in that case if you REALLY DONT HAVE ANY OTHER CHOICE, use 320 mp3's.
with a quality amp and headphones you got to use high quality meterial to get the best sound,or else..your amp and cans will show all the defaults.

i use a dvd player as my cd player which connected digitally to my headroom ultra micro dac and than to my ultra micro amp plugged to my great denon ah-d5000. the sound is pretty good! can get better i guess..but still darn good!

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 8
I use the ipod classic 6g... most of my mp3s are 320kbps, because I cannot hear the difference between that and lossess. (or even 192kbps vs lossless).

I'll try some lossless tracks next time I audition amps at jaben then. =)

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 8
I still think iBasso D2 with it's lithium battery and USB with Burr Brown and Wolfsen is the best value for a USB/Amp portable. That way you can use it with your computer or laptop when not on the move and get the same great sound. I unfortunately not heard, but you can find reviews here, including Skylab's ranking of portables.

Some people are raving about HotAudio products, so maybe take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back