Thinking of either picking up some Grado 225's or 325i's..
Feb 23, 2008 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

s4one

100+ Head-Fier
Which Grado is more on the same level with the SF5's. I know they are different but i'm just trying to compared. I'm leaning towards the 225i's.

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #2 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by s4one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm leaning towards the 225i's.

Well, if you can find them.
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 30
The 325 add more treble while the 225 add more bass. It is like the frequency spectrum is shifted up or down respectively. If you get more bass there is less emphasis on treble and visa versa.I think you meant 325i's?

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 325 add more treble while the 225 add more bass.

I thought the 325i was bassier than 225??

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 30
Not in my experience. I didn't have the best rig though.

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 30
My impressions differ somewhat.

I found the sr325i to have deeper and more impactful bass than the sr225.
I found the sr325i to have more clarity and details than the sr225.
I found the sr325i to more extended high frequency response than the sr225.
I found the sr325i to have a bit more soundstage than the sr225.
But, I also found the sr325i to be quite noticably brighter than the sr225.

After getting used to it I don't think I'd necessarily say the sr325i was too bright, but it is somewhat of a different headphone than the sr225, or the other Grado SR series phones.
The sr325 is also noticably heavier then the others, which for some can cause a comfort issue (or not)

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 30
I have the SF5 Pro and SR225. I tried the SR325i with the bowls that it comes with and I found it to have way too much treble. It was also a bit too heavy. With flats, the sound improves a lot, but it was still a little too detailed for me. The SR225 is less harsh and I feel that it is a good match for people that like the SF5 Pro.

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My impressions differ somewhat.

I found the sr325i to have deeper and more impactful bass than the sr225.
I found the sr325i to have more clarity and details than the sr225.
I found the sr325i to more extended high frequency response than the sr225.
I found the sr325i to have a bit more soundstage than the sr225.
But, I also found the sr325i to be quite noticably brighter than the sr225.

After getting used to it I don't think I'd necessarily say the sr325i was too bright, but it is somewhat of a different headphone than the sr225, or the other Grado SR series phones.
The sr325 is also noticably heavier then the others, which for some can cause a comfort issue (or not)

I found it took about 3/4 of my cd collection and added brightness to them. I listen to a lot of older recordings.They definitely had better detail and better high frequency detail than the 225's. I only use a ipod or computer at work. Which is where I do most of my listening. My soha (at home) made the 325's sound better but there were still a lot of songs that had that bright edge to them. Jazz sounds great no matter what song you listen to with them.I would say if you are into jazz 325's are excellent phones.They definitely are better than 225's in a lot of areas but for me and my current setup the 225's work better for me.I didn't think I was but I think darker sounding phones are more suited for my taste and music.

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found it took about 3/4 of my cd collection and added brightness to them. I listen to a lot of older recordings.They definitely had better detail and better high frequency detail than the 225's. I only use a ipod or computer at work. Which is where I do most of my listening. My soha (at home) made the 325's sound better but there were still a lot of songs that had that bright edge to them. Jazz sounds great no matter what song you listen to with them.I would say if you are into jazz 325's are excellent phones.They definitely are better than 225's in a lot of areas but for me and my current setup the 225's work better for me.

OK, I can go with that.
wink.gif

Actually I sold off the sr325i because their detail made them more of a competitor for my k701 than my sr225. I found the k701 and sr325i to be more alike than the sr325i and sr225 were. The k701 was my choice of those two, so the sr325i went bye-bye. Basically the sr225 and k701 were better suited to their intended uses than the sr325i was for either. (k701 for serious listening, sr225 for fun and transportable use)

I have since gotten RS1 and find it to have the bass of the sr325i (plus some) and much of the detail, while retaining a presentation closer to the sr225. It fits somewhere between the sr225 and k701, so both are geting nervous that they may be looking for a new home.
eek.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 30
I think 225's are as high as I want to go for now. Later when I can get a better amp, source, etc.. I may try and get a rs1/rs2 or maybe rethink the 325i's. The 325i's are nice but they require a certain setup to be their best and I do not have that at the moment. If I could do a lot of listening at home they would definitely be a consideration.Unfortunately, the wife doesn't like me on the computer or neglecting her so all of my listening is at work or most of it.That is why I have not even finished building my cavalli jones amp yet. I just barely listen to my SOHA.

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 30
so what's better for metal...the SR325i's or the SR225's? I love the Grado sound so I'm rethinking what my next headphones will be. (and I don't have a proper amp or money to buy one for the dt880s).

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 30
The 325's may be a bit harsh with metal. I know with fast high pitched guitars(like david bowies earthling album) the 325's started to get extreme. The 225's were more forgiving, for me, with my setup.

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 30
More of the same...

All of the prior posts are accurate... the SR225s are a more balanced phone than the SR325is, which I found way to bright (painfully) with a lot of music. They might be great with the right source / amp / music, or the right tubes - but... why frustrate yourself trying to find them.

Or... you could just get a good sound processor (e.g. Aphex 204)... and tune them to your tastes with each piece of music - not a bad solution at all. The Aphex 204 is very transparent and clean - I'm sure others are also, but at a much higher cost.

Or... you could just "cut through all of that" and get the SR225s, until you can move up to the RS-1s (they sound remarkably like the RS-1s anyway).

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #14 of 30
Gradofan2;3849385 said:
More of the same...

They [read: SR325i] might be great with the right source / amp / music, or the right tubes - but... why frustrate yourself trying to find them.

Answer: because with just a bit of attention to the entire signal train, the 325i's deliver more "eargasm per $" than any other product in Grado's lineup.

Running mine thru:
iPod (using Apple Lossless files & with SRS Labs iWOW)-->RSA Tomahawk.

The results are so stunning that I'm having trouble justifying an upgrade to RS1's, especially for a portable rig.

The SR325i was born when John Grado set out to fix the (justified) user complaints regarding the original SR325. Not only a new driver (some say RS1 driver), but other "Golden Ears Magic" resulted in what I consider to be the best value in his product family. Kudos to John on the 325i's - WOW!

While the treble is aggressive (along with the rest of the frequency spectrum), I have not noticed sibilance with Apple Lossless files. The 325i's also respond very well to judicious EQ.

These puppies are fast, high impact, and razor sharp.

The SR325i / Tomahawk response to SRS Labs iWOW is nothing short of amazing. You've got to hear it to believe it. Try their free 14 day demo, and see what your own ears tell you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back