Thinking of doing a 325is Woody Mod
Jan 12, 2010 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

schwallman

1000+ Head-Fier
I knkow this has somewhat been covered before, but most of the post never really had all the info i sought after. So do the specs on headwize for the pvc cups have the same dimensions for the 325is cups? I thought I read somewhere the i's are a little bigger in driver size dimensions. Also When you use a hairdryer to take the driver from the cup, should it leave the back of the driver cup inside the metal cup?

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 22
no you will separate the plastic cup from the metal, the metal is what is replaced by the wood, the plastic cup remains. Someone a week or so ago said these woodied 325is were incredible. Let us know how they turn out. I recommend Jmoney. He did a pair of MS1's for me that were great.

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 22
There is a spacer ring inside the cup,which is what you saw.I guess they use it to make it easier to put them together evenly.you only need to get this out if you are changing the grill.I am hoping to woody mine soon,how much heat did you need to get them apart.I ask this 'cause looking thro' the grill i can see a whole load of glue inside there.

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 22
it didnt take much heat, just blasted the sides( mainly around the holes) for less than a minute. twisted and pulled and off it came. When you say a spacer, it actually looks like the other half of the driver enclosure.

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 22
oh i believe you, i acnt believe its so hard to find someone to cut some wood for me. I just my my second pair of rs1s this week, the last ones looked awful and didnt fit right. I do love these so far now that they fit correctly. The 325s might be going back.

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 22
I guess it's jmoney and some sandpaper for you.
wink.gif
I spent an hour or two sanding mine to fit my 80i's without any strain.Of course ,if you lived this side of the pond ,you could get nickchen to make you a proper pair.Still,serve you right for living in the land where they are half price to start with....
tongue.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #10 of 22
Don't think he is to keen on sending stuff to US,he is too busy helping us non lathe owning europeans.you could always try a PM.But i can't believe that there isn't someone that can make nice woodys in America,
tongue.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #11 of 22
What did you pay in euros? I cant believe its so hard to find someone even locally that Will do it. I talked to a guy that said hed knock them out with a cnc router, but wanted $100 for a pair. I was thinking like $25-$30 a pair would be fair if you got everything needed.

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 22
Found a guy locally that is going to do 2 sets of cups for me. One in walnut and one in mahogany. I cannot wait to get these from him. I might buy some 225s and throw one of the sets on them.

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwallman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Found a guy locally that is going to do 2 sets of cups for me. One in walnut and one in mahogany. I cannot wait to get these from him. I might buy some 225s and throw one of the sets on them.

I bet he is charging more than $25 a pair
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back