thinking of cutting cable - Grado SR60
Nov 15, 2004 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

starfarer

New Head-Fier
Basically i'm very happy with the sound of SR60 but since this i use as for portable use i find the long cord very hassle to put in backpack and in jacket's pocket. Now seriously thinking of cutting the cable in half length from original and i'll give to professional electronic shop to do this job. Anybody tried before? Any loss in quality of sound? Should i go ahead or learn to live with 2m cord? Thanks you.

Nov 15, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 3
I wouldnt cut the cable, i would get a cheap pair of portables that have the right length cord and solder them to the drivers. If you read the grado mods around this site there is one page somewhere that explains how to open them and recable them. Then if you wanted to sell them later you could just put the stock cable back on.

I built a set of streetstyle grados and i replaced the thick cord with a thin one and i dont notice any difference but im not using a top end source and amp.

Here is a picture of how the Grados are glued together. If you heat the outside corners of the grados with a hairdryer and then pry them apart using a spoon handle (like cmoy sugests) they come apart easy with no damage.

attachment.php

And this is the streetstyle mod, maybe you would wana do this?

attachment.php
attachment.php

Nov 15, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 3
There's certainly nothing wrong with cutting the cable shorter from a physical/electrical standpoint. It's easier than hunting down a shorter cable, opening the cans and soldering to the drivers, but you could do that too (I did it on my SR-325's--the aging cable was shorting inside each enclosure).

The only issue, as Bower mentioned, is possible resale value. But then, the SR60 only goes for around $45 or $50 used, so a shorter cable and a perhaps more limited number of buyers won't exactly sink you.

Just snip, strip, and solder on the new plug. Piece of cake.

-coma

Users who are viewing this thread

Back