Thinking of copping the AKG K550 - Need Opinions
Jul 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rankone

New Head-Fier
Hey Everyone! 

Was thinking of getting the AKG K550 for listening purposes but needed the opinion of the experts on here. To give you an idea of the kind of sound I am looking for, recently I purchased the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80 ohm version. Although I am still burning them in, the Beyer's right out of the box blew me away with their sound. The genres of music I mainly listen to are HipHop, R&B, Chillout, House and Trance. I love the bass response of the DT770s as to my ears they are on that border line level of not being over-bearing but by no means is the bass weak either and more importantly the bass doesn't over power/muffle the vocals which just enhances the music listening experiences. 

Reading up on here about the AKG K550s I've heard mixed things about the bass, some folks say that it generates a decent amount of bass whereas some say that it's lacking in bass. I am not only concerned about bass and am looking at it as an overall headphone as many reviews claim that it is a clean sounding headphone with the AKG signature sound. Moreover, how do these compare to the Beyer DT770 in terms of overall sound, sound isolation and sound leakage on higher volume. 

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 5
The entire sound signature of the K550 depends on the ear pads and how they fit/seal around your jaw/neck below your ears.  I think for some people the seal is great, so they think the headphone sounds great.  For others (like me) they sound high, shrill, and totally bass-less.  I strongly suggest that you try one out in person before purchasing one.  IMHO, the fit of the K550 is everything.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
The entire sound signature of the K550 depends on the ear pads and how they fit/seal around your jaw/neck below your ears.  I think for some people the seal is great, so they think the headphone sounds great.  For others (like me) they sound high, shrill, and totally bass-less.  I strongly suggest that you try one out in person before purchasing one.  IMHO, the fit of the K550 is everything.

^^This was a worrying factor for me because I came across a thread on here discussing this exact issue and it seemed that a lot of people had problems with the clamping pressure. Does the AKG K551 resolve this issue at all? I tried contacting a bunch of places that would carry the AKG K550, Guitar Center didn't carry them but Best Buy did although Best Buy told me it's not for display and only for purchase. So basically I wouldn't be able to try it out before buying it which is stupid. So that really limits my options of trying the headphones out. Do you guys know of any other places that may carry them? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back