Thinking of buying this CMOY Amp - What do you guys think?
Dec 27, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 14
Seems reasonable. I spent $30 in parts on mine and it didn't even work lol.

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 14
Dec 27, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackwheel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has the same chip but it also has TLE2426 power divider. Is this a better option? thnx

That's not an option, it is a basic part of the circuit. A Texas Instruments TLE2426™ precision rail splitter is for the resistor divider power system found in standard cMoys, also called virtual ground. The advantage of it is the possibility for a higher voltage supply, so that you can also use HP's with higher impedances.

There are also alternative op-amps theoretically usable, but this is not a question of the sound, but rather the absolute maximum ratings resulting from it. The Texas Instruments OPA2227™ is in this case the best choice, the chip has very fast signal transitions and a extremely low power consumption. If you are interested in development, than you could also try to change something. But don't forget, it has always consequences for the remaining circuit.

Dec 27, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 14
So many options for opamps... @_@'

Dec 27, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AcousticDreams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not an option, it is a basic part of the circuit. A Texas Instruments TLE2426™ precision rail splitter is for the resistor divider power system found in standard cMoys, also called virtual ground. The advantage of it is the possibility for a higher voltage supply, so that you can also use HP's with higher impedances.

There are also alternative op-amps theoretically usable, but this is not a question of the sound, but rather the absolute maximum ratings resulting from it. The Texas Instruments OPA2227™ is in this case the best choice, the chip has very fast signal transitions and a extremely low power consumption. If you are interested in development, than you could also try to change something. But don't forget, it has always consequences for the remaining circuit.

Thanks for your response. I'm new to all this so forgive me for this question, but:

"not a question of sound, but rather the absolute maximum ratings..."

What are these "maximum ratings"?

Also, do you think I should go with the first purchase or the second link?

Dec 27, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackwheel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are these "maximum ratings"? Also, do you think I should go with the first purchase or the second link?

One of the most important maximum ratings for portables is the current consumption measured in mA/h, and for the HP output mW/ohm for example. The impression of the sound is much more difficult to discuss.

Compared with the second link is the first one more credible, he has nothing to hide. The problem with the second link is, it is one of so many primitive creations of the cMoy.
eek.gif
Forget it!

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AcousticDreams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the most important maximum ratings for portables is the current consumption measured in mA/h, and for the HP output mW/ohm for example. The impression of the sound is much more difficult to discuss.

Compared with the second link is the first one more credible, he has nothing to hide. The problem with the second link is, it is one of so many primitive creations of the cMoy.
eek.gif
Forget it!

Yes, that second link is rubbish. Not a good way to go.
Are you looking for a cmoy that can be used to recharge batteries? There is a geat cmoy bbcmoy, I don't think it's listeed on ebay right now because of the holidays. But you van find it from jds labs, a few forum members hre make outstanding amps, not all of them cmoys. And the pocket amps v2, is about on par with a cmoy, although not everyone will agree, I find ot quite neutral.

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 14
i just got an amp from headfi member fred fred2004 off ebay and he usually has 5 different choices (cmoys,others)when he lists.right at this moment he doesn't have anything listed but he has had for the last few weeks and they sold like hotcakes.check his feedbacks on ebay under fred_fred_2004
the amp i bought is rechargeable (battery included)and works great,haven't been able to run the battery down yet.

Dec 28, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by teds headfood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just got an amp from headfi member fred fred2004 off ebay and he usually has 5 different choices (cmoys,others)when he lists.right at this moment he doesn't have anything listed but he has had for the last few weeks and they sold like hotcakes.check his feedbacks on ebay under fred_fred_2004
the amp i bought is rechargeable (battery included)and works great,haven't been able to run the battery down yet.

Yeah, Fred makes good stuff.......no doubt!

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #14 of 14
Yeah, why not? If $50 is all you can or are willing to spend...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back