thinking of buying new headphones
Apr 5, 2010 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

prltan

New Head-Fier
I currently have the Sennheiser PX200. I got this as a gift.

I've been thinking of getting new ones because I only just dont like them.

I've been looking at Bose products but the bashing in this thread made me think again. I liked the Bose On Ear and Bose Quiet Comfort 3. Which of these is better?

I've been looking at other brands too:
-Sennheiser: these were ok. the only thing i dont like is that their noise canceling models have a large battery compartment thing on the cable

-Grado: Not a big fan of the wooden look

-Skullcandy: the one I had broke easily

What brands and models do you recommend? I want headphones that are noise canceling or will block out most the sound like in planes. I also want them to be ok looking, not too big. Thanks!

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 9
I personally am not realy fond of Bose products, imo you can get something much better for the same amount of money.
Don't buy Skullcandy phones! They only focus on the looks and not soundquality, they rly dont sound good.

Grado and Sennheiser are good brands, so I dont think you would regret buying one of those.
But, before we can give you some good recommendations, we need to know what your budget is, what source you are using and what kind of music you like (bass heavy music, clasic, whatever)

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 9
I don't really have a budget. I just ask it from my parents as like a gift or something. Around $300-350 will be the limit before I start feeling guilty though.
smily_headphones1.gif

I listen to a wide range. Classic rock, alternative rock, RnB, Techno, Pop.

I don't know what you mean by source. Forgive me. I'm new to this

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 9
You might want to find somewhere you can demo some Grado's. I just got a used set of 325is's and they are fantastic for rock (deftones, Explosions in the Sky, Radiohead) and even some "electronic music" (Culprate, NiN, etc.). From what I have read on here, just about anything can drive them as well. I have been using an old Yamaha amp and have been happy thus far.

If you want a closed set of cans though you have many options from Ultrasone, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, etc. If you are lucky enough to live somewhere that you can try them out, by all means though do.
smily_headphones1.gif
Good luck.

Apr 5, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 9
Yea I really want to recommend some Grados lol; but since you don't like those..... maybe something in the audio technica line? I would say to stay away from the Sennheiser 555-600 area because of the laid back sound sig and that might not give you the sound you're looking for with rock; they sound damn good though.

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 9
How do you like your sound? How do you like to hear your music?

P.S. Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry for your wallet...

Apr 6, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 9
I'm kind of new to this so I cant really tell the difference in sound quality but I don't want to suddenly regret my purchase in the future so I'm asking for help.

Bose On ear or quiet Comfort 3?

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by prltan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What brands and models do you recommend? I want headphones that are noise canceling or will block out most the sound like in planes. I also want them to be ok looking, not too big. Thanks!

You may want to look at the Senn HD25-1 if you plan to use them portably. Very rugged set and has the best noise isolation of any headphone I've tried.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by prltan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm kind of new to this so I cant really tell the difference in sound quality but I don't want to suddenly regret my purchase in the future so I'm asking for help.

Bose On ear or quiet Comfort 3?

Neither. And I would also look up the Sennhieser HD-25 IIs like the poster above me suggested. Portable, easy to drive, good isolation, and great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back