Thinking of buying CIaudio VHP-1
Jul 22, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowby
Thanks and I will have a look.

Actually, I am sending email to Justy of CIAudio and requesting more info and advise.

at the $350 mark you have quite a few other options as well... the Gilmore Lite, M3, PPA, Millet Hybrid, Dynalo to name a few.

Jul 22, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 6
thanks man, I am actually a newbie of head-amp and always see the amp you've mentioned many times in this forum.

However, I would like to search their pic and spec from google but no luck and may be I need their full model name. Anyone can provide ?

Jul 22, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowby
thanks man, I am actually a newbie of head-amp and always see the amp you've mentioned many times in this forum.

However, I would like to search their pic and spec from google but no luck and may be I need their full model name. Anyone can provide ?

Below is a photo of CIAudio's VHP-1 headphone amp and VAC-1 power supply (taken at our recent NYC Minis-mini-meet).

MnisMt_VHP1VAC1_1447b.jpg
VHP-1 Headamp + VAC-1 PS

[Sorry for the fuzzy pic ... camera is dying!]

Pics of all CIAudio products are shown on their web site.

For all looking in, my personal experience has been that the VHP-1 really needs ENORMOUS amounts of burn in the fully mature. Sorry that I've been travelling a lot and exremely busy or I'd look for my notes and state how many hours, but I'd guess it was well over 300 hours. I recall that after 150 hours or so it was just beginning to open up in many ways.

From beginning to end of that process it does retain varying degrees of a silken signature character that has been noted in reviews. However, fully matured it has more complex texture, slightly better extension, smoother top, and has more punch - impact - speed - dimension.

I was impressed at the great synergy it had with the Beyer DT-770s, and besides presenting rich texture with these phones, it significantly alleviated the famous midrange recession -- both in terms of a more contiguous and even frequency spectrum, and much improved soundspace presentation. The sound was big and open, and the center of the space no longer seemed as recessed, but was brought more forward. The top end was never irritating. Overall a very pleasant surprise improvement of the great bass-inators! What the VAC-1 adds is more a matter of subtle refinement than a huge improvement, but the duo sure looks great, and it certainly offer cleaner power than the wallwart.

The VHP-1 is somewhat reactive to its partners in the sonic chain, and unfortunately for our local minis-meet it sounded a bit light weight with the ancillary components available for it. In various other portable and transportable setups, though, it sounded nicely rounded if not weighty and overly robust, and has excellent depth and a beautiful, spacious sound. The units are beautifully designed and would be very tasteful additions to the most refined furnishings in any environment. It would certainly look great and offer a very relaxing sound to a office system.

As stated elsewhere, there are obviously an increasing number of competitors in its price range, each with its unique strengths. It bears listening the likely candidates to decide which suits your taste.

It will definitely suit certain tastes and match well with some phones. It sounded very nice with HD650s, AKG K501s and SA3000s (which I normally find quite uninteresting). SA5000s sounded clean, spacious and detailed with reasonable depth and impact at the bottom, though not prodigious amounts of bass. I heard the amp with a few other phones at our mini-meet, but as I've said it was not in an optimal setup and though they sounded nice, something was amiss and it lacked the depth and body I had heard before.

Just remember: if it has not had well over 200 hours of burn in, you're not hearing it at its best.

That's all for now. Gotta run (as usual). When I return home next week, I'll oganize my notes and if there are any more pertinent impressions to add, I'll post them.

(Deepest apologies to Dusty for the delay.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back