Thinking of buying a 300zx twin turbo
May 16, 2007 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Idsynchrono_24

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, I've been looking at Nissan 300zs for a while now, and I haven't had much luck with the NA versions being under 99k mileage. I've found a twin turbo model with 78k miles on it, the 60k maintenance was already done. If anyone here owns one, or is familiar with it, what can I expect aside from basic stuff like oil and such? Also, I'd like to know when to replace the turbos themselves. If it proves too costly, I'm probably going to keep trying my luck for the NA's.

Thanks a lot,
Id

May 16, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 11
it's a cool old car, but why would you still want one so bad? Much better tuner cars available, despite the fact that's a rare one. Would probably give you some 1992ish nostalgia though i guess heh.

edit in:
A friend of mine had a 300zx na a few years ago. Was very expensive to maintain, I guess if you really like the car a lot it's worth it.

May 16, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 11
I would just watch out for the running/maintenance costs for it
frown.gif

May 16, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 11
Yeah, I'm actually kind of turned off by the fact that you have to let the turbos cool down after a good drive, so I think the turbo version is out. I guess I'll have to keep trying for an NA, unless someone can persuade me to get something else.

May 16, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 11
I remember my first drive in the TT 300zx in the early 90's. Amazing car for the time, with outstanding handling. I still have a soft spot for the car as i feel its design was way ahead of its time.

May 16, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm actually kind of turned off by the fact that you have to let the turbos cool down after a good drive, so I think the turbo version is out. I guess I'll have to keep trying for an NA, unless someone can persuade me to get something else.

I would think that letting the turbo cool down after a drive is the least of your problems. Thats only a minute or so of ur time. Less if you have a turbo timer...but make sure your alarm is properly wired with your timer if you decide to get one.

May 16, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #8 of 11
Yeah, I'm well aware of the religious oil changes, and the price of gasoline. I looked around and the turbo package seems to be around $3000 plus the cost of 10 hours or so of labor, which is insane. It's not wonder I mostly see TT's for sale in the 60k to 125k range.

May 16, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #9 of 11
Why do you want an N/A? They're kind of heavy and have a very cramped engine bay. Alternators tend to go out on them. I'd rather have some newer sports car. You could get a newer E36 M3, a 99+ Mustang, even an Integra Type R which is FWD, but has 195 hp vs. 220ish for a N/A Z and weighs a lot less. Impreza WRXs may have come down in price enough to work too. None of those is an all out sports car like the Z but I'd rather have something newer, and with better handling. Depending on how much a 300ZX goes for, a C5 Corvette might be an alternative too. They can be found in the low-mid $20s.

May 16, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #10 of 11
My friend has one imported from Japan. He hasn't had any real issues with it yet since he got it 2 years ago. It's a sweet car but looks like it would suck to work on. I wouldn't get an NA one. Forced induction is so much better.

May 16, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I've been looking at Nissan 300zs for a while now, and I haven't had much luck with the NA versions being under 99k mileage. I've found a twin turbo model with 78k miles on it, the 60k maintenance was already done. If anyone here owns one, or is familiar with it, what can I expect aside from basic stuff like oil and such? Also, I'd like to know when to replace the turbos themselves. If it proves too costly, I'm probably going to keep trying my luck for the NA's.

Thanks a lot,
Id

that was my dream car for the longest time. As mentioned the maintenance could be quite a bit. The engine compartment is very cramped and if you plan on doing things yourself plan to spend alot of time under the hood. I could imagine what the labor may be from a shop because of this.

i wouldnt let the cooling of turbo's bother you. It only takes 1 minute to cool down under hard driving and 30 seconds under light. If you dont boost at all dont need to let the turbo's cool down.

you could always buy a turbo timer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back