Thinking of... a downgrade
Feb 1, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You too? I've been getting that same icky feeling from the K-701, as well. The way I think of it is that it's like the notes are covered in shrinkwrap plastic, if that makes any sense. The K-501 and K-1000 have an aura of "real" about them that the K-701 doesn't. They're still pretty new, so I'll give them a few hundred more hours before they go up for sale.

Ah, dammit, not more reason for me to doubt the quality of the K701. It sounds the most "realistic" out of all my headphones to me, but considering I don't know what a realistic musical sound is, the sound being called "plastic" and less "real" than the K501 bothers me. Maybe I should try listening to the K501 more, as it is my second-favorite, but quite a few people also think that the K501 sounds decidedly "wrong" in quite a few ways. God, why can't I find actual quality without resorting to a $1000+ headphone?!

Anyway, to 003, go for the HD600. This is not based on my ever hearing it; just what I have read on this forum leads me to believe that this would be the best fit for you. But maybe too much "veil" (I don't want to turn this thread into an argument about that - some of us find the sound natural, others don't, let's leave it at that) since you hear it and don't particularly like it.

Feb 1, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want a headphone that is not TO revealing, because I listen to a lot of poor recordings, and at the same time I don't want one that sounds like a fart cannon. Also, I still don't know what amp I should be looking at since I haven't even decided on the headphones. I do not know much about the DAC situation, either.

The type of music I listen to is mainly (no comments, please, this is a mature board):
"Gangsta" Rap
Death/thrash metal
Rock
Some classical
maybe others I am missing...

Quote:

That is what I would like to do but it depends on how much it will cost. I personally don't like the K701. First of all it's the ugliest can I have EVER seen in my entire life. Then there is the sibilant and sometimes harsh-sounding highs, and the lack of bass extension. Also, there is something else about them which I do not like, but I just can not put my finger on what it is. They sound like they somehow suck the life out of the sound and reproduce it artificially. Thats the best I can describe it.

Some of the headphones I am interested in are:

HD600
AD2000
CD3000
Used RS-1
Maybe an HD650, with an amp that does them more justice?

Quote:

Also I forgot to mention:
I hate recessed or back seated midrange of any kind.

I'm probably becoming a broken record when it comes to the AD2000, but it definitely meets all your criteria here. Well, except for the rap/metal/rock part maybe, because I don't listen to those. It's not that revealing and can manage to sound great even on less-than-great recordings. It's got bass extension. It's got treble extension (without being remotely harsh - treble is flat on it). It's got life. And the mid-range? Oh man, that's their best quality! Nothing recessed about it!

If you don't like the AD2K at least a little bit, I'll eat my shirt!

Feb 1, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #18 of 38
I dunno, I found the 580/600 dull in the extreme, that was the main reason I sold mine. That laid back sound is literally that to me, audio lethargy.

I'd suggest getting the 580, it's cheap enough to try without losing much cash if you don't like it. It's pretty much the same can as the 600 anyway.

Feb 1, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't like the AD2K at least a little bit, I'll eat my shirt!

Will you post a video of yourself doing so on YouTube?
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will you post a video of yourself doing so on YouTube?
biggrin.gif

er...ok, yeah I'll do it if it comes to that!

Feb 1, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #21 of 38
based on your musical preferences, i would suggest the hd650 over the hd600. i don't think that they only do classical or jazz well but they're also great for rap, electronica or rock. i've never listen to tool on my hd650 and thought oh, this doesn't sound right.

i agree with your assessment of the k701. they sounded flat and lifeless when i had them and i had burned them in for over 500hrs hoping that something about their sound signature would change.

Feb 1, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #22 of 38
I would agree about the characteristics of k701 as well,
It tends to sound a bit bright when was first out of box though lol.
So, a very long period of burn in is a must for it. ( like 300 + hrs )
Cheers, P'chiab

Feb 1, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #23 of 38
@003:

Do you have an ETA on when the repairs will be finished? I think you owe it to yourself to hear this setup which you've worked hard for to get. And if you like the K1000s, you are gonna love them on the FirstWatt.

Feb 1, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #24 of 38
I'm not going to sell anything before I hear my K1000 again. And if I do I am leaning toward an HD600 or RS-1 or AD2000 (need more info) now. Anyway I have to go now, will be back later today.

Feb 1, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, dammit, not more reason for me to doubt the quality of the K701. It sounds the most "realistic" out of all my headphones to me, but considering I don't know what a realistic musical sound is, the sound being called "plastic" and less "real" than the K501 bothers me. Maybe I should try listening to the K501 more, as it is my second-favorite, but quite a few people also think that the K501 sounds decidedly "wrong" in quite a few ways. God, why can't I find actual quality without resorting to a $1000+ headphone?!

Anyway, to 003, go for the HD600. This is not based on my ever hearing it; just what I have read on this forum leads me to believe that this would be the best fit for you. But maybe too much "veil" (I don't want to turn this thread into an argument about that - some of us find the sound natural, others don't, let's leave it at that) since you hear it and don't particularly like it.

you really do have a naive outlook on headphones i think... just go with what you enjoy. the artists didn't intend for their fans to be listening to their music on $1000 headphone rigs, so don't act like you aren't getting the "full experience" unless you have an "ultra realistic" sound... and don't let other people influence what you think your headphones sound like. go with what you like. there's no such thing as perfection, so don't chase it, just use what sounds nice.

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you really do have a naive outlook on headphones i think... just go with what you enjoy. the artists didn't intend for their fans to be listening to their music on $1000 headphone rigs, so don't act like you aren't getting the "full experience" unless you have an "ultra realistic" sound... and don't let other people influence what you think your headphones sound like. go with what you like. there's no such thing as perfection, so don't chase it, just use what sounds nice.

the only way to get a "full experience" is to just go out and listen to live music. no headphone rig or audiophile speaker rig is going to give you the same experience as being at a concert hall or jazz club for a performance.

Feb 1, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #27 of 38
i've always had bad seats in live concert halls, be it classical or rock music. and in my case it was always amplified by speakers anyway. so recorded music sounds better to me than live music, and more like the real thing (as compared to when i play my own instrument).

Feb 1, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking from personal experience downgrading (even further down than you're contemplating), I'd suggest trying to put together a downgraded rig, from used stuff (so you won't lose much, if any, on resale). I ultimately regretted my downgrade and have lost/spent considerable amounts of money selling and re-buying back to the same level. It may stretch your wallet a lot to maintain two rigs for a while, but in the end it is probably the best investment you can make. So, you can make a more accurant comparison of the two to understand if the downgraded rig is satisfying enough and more importantly, if you find after a while that you can't live with the downgrade...no need to re-purchase...

Hope this helps...

mjb

x2 from experience..several cylces/times
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

I'm not going to sell anything before I hear my K1000 again. And if I do I am leaning toward an HD600 or RS-1 or AD2000 (need more info) now. Anyway I have to go now, will be back later today.

why don't you pick up a HP-2 and call it a day..they meld with vintage receivers and even the dedicated tube mates are more reasonably priced than the system needed to provide a thriving k1k..just a suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back