Thinking about upgrading from Sony MDR V6/7506 to MDR CD900ST... smart move?
Dec 1, 2009 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TheBoss

100+ Head-Fier
I read about the characteristics of this headphone in this forum and they say it's the refined version of the sony V6/7506 headphone that I used to own. I also wonder if anyone tried to mod this headphone with beyerdynamic DT250 pads because the CD900ST stock pads looks really shallow.

This headphone only cost 14.000 yen if you live in japan... but shipping it to US will be another 5,000 yen and the unfavorable dollar/yen exchange rates will keep me from buying this for now.

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read about the characteristics of this headphone in this forum and they say it's the refined version of the sony V6/7506 headphone that I used to own. I also wonder if anyone tried to mod this headphone with beyerdynamic DT250 pads because the CD900ST stock pads looks really shallow.

This headphone only cost 14.000 yen if you live in japan... but shipping it to US will be another 5,000 yen and the unfavorable dollar/yen exchange rates will keep me from buying this for now.

I think you could do better for what it's going to cost you. But then again, what do I know about it? No, I'll answer that for you: not much, since I've never heard of these headphones 'til now.
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 6
You can not use the Beyer pads, or even the regular 7506 pads on the 900ST. The 900ST has very shallow pads, and this is important to the lower midbass balance. You will have to modify the Beyer pads to use them on the 900ST. I have been meaning to do this modification to be sure it works properly - I'll get back to you on this. I already have the Beyer pads ready to modify. The modification involves compressing the pads with weight while in near-boiling water so that the compression will keep position. I have successfully used this method on pads before - but those were AKG pads, and I can't be sure the Beyer pads will successfully take the modification yet.

The 900ST has an extremely neutral/smooth bass, midbass and mid-range. It has no 'closed' phone resonance sound. The treble has a gradual roll off. It works superbly for classical, jazz and acoustics type. Rock/pop music may seem 'dark' or 'dull' to some people. The headphone does not produce any 'headstage' effect like phones with angled drivers, for example.

-Chris

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 6
Well put Chris.

I haven't tried a pad-mod with my pair, but I haven't had a problem with them cos I've got small ears. I can wear them for hours without getting uncomfortable.

I tried the 900ST and the 7506 at the store, and the 900ST definitely sound more balanced. Less bass bloat and softer treble, but the beautiful midrange certainly makes up for it. However the flat response is not for everyone - remember they are monitoring headphones. As far as monitors go, they are excellent though.

If you wanna get a cheaper shipping rate, you could always ask someone living in Japan to ship it to you..... *nudge nudge*
tongue_smile.gif
Or just try and get a used pair.

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 6
Instead of getting the dt250 pads, just get the whole dt250! To my ears they sound a lot like a 7506 that cleaned up its act. They don't have the upper mid harshness of the v6 and the rest of the frequencies sound very balanced with good treble and bass(quite a bit of bass, but a bit tighter than the sloppy v6 bass). I found the v6 very harsh and fatiguing with some material, but not the dt250. They have all the virtues of the v6 but none of the flaws, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back