Thinking about some upgrades and need suggestions
Dec 26, 2005 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

humanflyz

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been trying to build a decent setup around my computer, and so far I have the amp and the headphones down: K701s driven by a stock PPX3. So now I want to start on the computer itself. Right now I have an Audigy 2 ZS feeding the PPX3, and I want to upgrade to a better source. I have several options open to me, and I have some questions that hopefully can be answered here.

1) If I get a DAC, is it still worth it to upgrade from the Audigy 2 ZS. There are a couple of scenarios that I'm thinking about. First, if I get a DAC with USB connectivity (a la Fubar II or MicroDAC), does it still make sense to upgrade my Audigy 2 ZS? Or if I get a DAC with no USB connection (I'm thinking Spitfire, DAC-AH, or Dialogue II), is it still worth it to make the jump from the Audigy 2 to the X-Fi?

2) I need some recommendations for the DAC. I want a DAC that is neutral because I want the source to add as little coloration as possible. If I wanted to color my setup, I prefer to do it in the headphone/amp stage, not the source. With that in mind, I do prefer a DAC that is not overly bright and harsh, but I don't want it to make my setup too muddy-sounding and veiled.

My budget for DAC and the soundcard (if I need one) is $400-$450, but cheaper is better. And for the soundcard, I'm pretty much limited to Creative products because of gaming reasons, and I don't have enough PCI slots in my motherboard to add another soundcard just for music.

Dec 26, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 2
I have purchased the MicroDAC and use this in one of two ways:

1. Listen to music, use the USB connection and remove any trace of my Audigy 2 from the sound path.

2. Play games - connect the DAC to the digital out on the soundcard. This reintroduces the various Creative effects that you want in this mode.

I just wanted to show how you can also look at the use of the equipment that you buy based on use and interfaces.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back