Thinking about replacing my broken Westone UM Pro30's with either Shure se525, or se846
Oct 12, 2015 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

defsquad

Head-Fier
Good afternoon!

So, I've got the opportunity to either replace my broken Westone UM Pro30's at a 25% discount for a new pair from Westone, OR look elsewhere.

I decided I'd maybe look to Shure, at the 525 or 846's. Both of which have the ability to get custom inserts/shells made for them, which is a bonus. 

I'm curious though, what will I gain (or lose) going from the UMP30s to either se525 or even se846s (I'm assuming some of you have these 2 or 3 models and have upgraded to know the differences).

I'm just at a loss if I'll be upgrading, or just spending more money on a different brand.

I listen mostly to Christian hiphop and rock, some downtempo/triphop and jazz, and finally, a little glitch/IDM.

Some artists in each of those categories, in case that helps with sound signature pairings:
Hiphop: Eshon Burgundy, Propaganda, Andy Mineo, Trip Lee, KB, Derek Minor, Social Club, Corey Paul, Braille, Beautiful Eulogy, Serge, Bizzle
Rock: Wolves at the Gate, Haste the Day, Project 86, Demon Hunter, For Today, Oh Sleeper, Wovenwar
Other: Thievery Corporation, Massive Attack, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Portishead, DJ Krush, DJ Shadow, Ratatat, Ronald Jenkins, Ryan Little, Glitch Mob, and finally, will play just about any jazz for dat soothing feels.

Would I be better off staying in the Westone family and just getting the 30s again, or even look to a different model of Westones?

I was mostly encouraged by the fact that companies make custom shells for the Shures, which was my main reasoning for even considering them. (have never heard Shures before)

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back