Thinking about picking up Steely Dan
Mar 7, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 10
The 1999 Steely Dan remasters are, IMHO, a significant improvement over the original 80s CDs. Start with Aja.
580smile.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 10
There are a million versions of their catalog. The most recent remasters date from 1999 and sound great *to me* (they were remastered by Roger Nichols, the original producer).

However, if you go the Steve Hoffman forums, you will discover endless arguments over these. There are many obscure older edition from the mid-80's that some people prefer, but you have to make sure you have the exact right version as there are so many variations.

IMO, just get the easy-to-find '99 remasters and don't sweat it.

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillC
For those that know the origin of the bands name, the thread title is pretty funny.

Yes. LOL!

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tattoou2
Yes. LOL!

It's not whether you pick it up, but what you do with it after that counts.

Remember, Burroughs lived to his eighties, so it doesn't do too much damage. Just relax and enjoy the ride.
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis
It's not whether you pick it up, but what you do with it after that counts.

Well, now! That just depends on where it's been recently!

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #9 of 10
Get the newer Dan releases. If you're looking for a fairly comprehensive overview of their stuff, pick up "Showbiz Kids: The Steely Dan Story 1972-1980". Excellent mastering and a good arrangement of songs that can eaily be listened to all the way through. I actually recommended this CD as well in another thread concerning the best sounding CD's or something like that.

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #10 of 10
Steely Dan is so available for cheap on vinyl...get this if you have a decent phono. option. I've been able to pick up most of what I have on 150 gm.+ vinyl in the used bins. and it sounds very good I'd say. If you're buying CD's, spend an extra buck or two on remastered versions...as noted, the 1999-2000 versions are well done and true to the session sounds but improved....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back